1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Is there anybody from Europe who ordered AE ? The cheapest AE I found costs 400$+ after shipping and taxes... As a university student it is way too expensive for me. It would be nice to buy shoes that last more than 2 seasons.

3. evolved

evolved Senior member

What are the typical MTO make ups that people are doing with the Eagle County's?

4. halfnhalfnhalf

Anybody checked out the new WebGems yet? The burnished brown Franciscan looks pretty sweet:

[​IMG]

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Here are my LaSalle. [​IMG]

6. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Finally had some sunlight to take pictures today! Here's a reference for AE's "brown" shell shade, compared to natural CXL (left) and Alden color #8 shell (right).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

I love the Brown Shell Strands. I have long considered picking them up to join their Walnut Shell brother.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Cats, I've often wondered why the Strand gets so much more love on here than any other AE shoe.

Don't get me wrong, I own a pair, but why are they so much more beloved, than say McAllisters?

9. halfnhalfnhalf

I don't know what others think, but to me the Strand is the perfect blend of the McAllister and the PA - it's formal and classy enough to serve as a worthy substitute for the PA, but the perfs and medallion also let me wear it casually, up to and including with denim.

10. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

It's not just here. I believe the Strand is their number one or two most sold. I have three and the brown and merlot get more wear than the black wingtips. I couldn't say why, maybe because they're just a good compromise between a full brogue and plain cap toe dress shoe. They work well with suits and dress casual.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  11. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

beautiful.

does the ae brown shell get any shinier than in the photo? the finish on alden shell is just so incredible compared to AE's!

12. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

You can get them shinier with a lot of brushing and maybe some Saphir products. Alden does put a very nice finish on their Shells that provide a deeper color out of the box.

13. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Yes and no, I suppose. The Strands are new, while those Aldens have gotten a couple months of wear and have been "mac'ed." I also just hit the toe boxes with some VSC.

The AE shell isn't as glossy, but they were very cold and dry when I unboxed them. I think some oils will come out once I wear and brush them a few times.

14. specialk0449

specialk0449 Active Member

I think your AE Strands look great now, but will get better once you have worn and brushed them a few times. That is what happened with my shell PA's.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

My latest MTO came in on Friday, too. This time for my wife! A pair of Walnut Bayfields with V tap soles. These are size 6D and look so adorable, haha. Check them out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a couple pics next to my new size 8D Alden Tankers for scale...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  16. modernize

modernize Active Member

Does anyone have any experience returning things to the shoe bank? How long does it usually take for them to credit your money back?

17. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

These aren't even listed on AE's web site. Did you order by calling them?

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No, they special ordered custom makeups thru Allison Meyer. Scroll back 4 or 5 pages for the contact info.

19. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Guys, I need some opinions here. I gave my new Strands a more detailed lookover today and noticed this stitching issue on the upper.

What are my options here? Would AE be able to correct this issue? It looks like it could just keep coming undone at this point.
    [​IMG]

20. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

I think the McAllister is dble soled and the Strand is not. Dble soles lend themselves to more casual wear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.