1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

No those are SouthNarc's calf. I went back and forth on a MTO in shell (for 3 months) but in the end decided that if mine look half as good as his I will be very satisfied. If they do work out there is always the option of having a pair made down the road in a different color but in shell.

2. SBear

SBear Senior Member

Yes, they were firsts. Returns should go to the place from which you bought them.

3. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

[​IMG]Amazeballs! Very jealous!

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior Member

This is a known issue with some AE shoes, but flat feet definitely contribute. I try to stick with boots.

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior Member

I got the 11E today. I like the feel of the toe area, but the heel is now too wide and I have to tighten the laces to make them not slip....
    I guess I'll keep the 11D and hope the toe area stretches just a tad...
    [​IMG]

6. deburn

deburn Senior Member

Its been a roller coaster couple of days :) The shell Park Avenues were delivered yesterday, but turned out to have a fairly large gouge on the left toe (almost a hole.) I was bummed out. Kristle was able to find another pair for me, which is great, but that's going to take a couple of days and the Dundees which I also ordered at the same time as the PAs got delayed as well.

Anyway, I got the shell Leeds in burgundy today. They fit well. I wore them for a couple of hours at home and plan to follow the recommended break-in procedure. I went to Nordstrom Rack to pick a couple of shoe trees and found an AE Big Sur for $70.00! It's a suede pair like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...6061672?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item27d4ed89e8

It's an 8D but it seems to fit well even though I usually wear an 8.5D

7. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Great find and photo, David!

8. rc121

rc121 Senior Member

so I've finally worn out my first pair of AE and its time for recrafting. I was discussing this with the reps at the AE store and inquired about getting the JR soles on my shoes and if it would cost more. they stated that they wouldn't be able to do it and the JR soles are limited to their cordovan shoes. is this correct? has anyone been successfuk at getting them to put JR soles on non-cordovan shoes? Has anyone sent their AE's to B Nelson instead of back to AE? I'm wondering if that might be the better option.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

I'd just send to B.Nelson or even a local cobbler. Recrafting is $125, and considering most of their calf offerings are ~$300, I don't see the value especially when you mention they aren't flexible on sole choices. The primary advantage AE has is that they will be able to put the shoe on the original last, but I don't think that's that big of a deal unless you want to make size adjustments. Many people with much higher quality shoes use B. Nelson with no problems.

10. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

I don't know why AE wouldn't offer JR for an up charge but if they won't, they won't. I sent my vintage shell Florsheims to B Nelson for double JR soles. Pricey but great work and fantastic customer service. If you go that route, you won't be disappointed.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

If the first try was 11D, the second try should have been 10.5E. Typically you size down 1/2 size when you go wider.

12. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

I used B Nelson once for just a sixty-buck Vibram resole on my Wilberts and was quite pleased. Looks like their JR option is $125. I plan to go that route for my non-shell AEs when the time comes.

13. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

Hello gents,

This was the first day I wore my AE burnished burgundy Clifton's. I really don't like to nitpick and I know shoes will crease but I wanted to get your opinions on this. I'm fairly certain the shoes aren't too long. My big toe is maybe half inch from the tip of the cap. I went with a D width which fits snug but not tight. E would be way to big in the heal and sides. I put shoe trees in as soon as I got the shoes 2 weeks ago. Should I have waited until I wore them first?
    Is the crease that you see in the pictures normal? [​IMG][/IMG]

14. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

15. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior Member

^ww21943

I have the same problems with Cliftons, and many others have had the same problem with the shoe and other AE models with longer toe caps. AE for some reason failed to master how to properly do longer toe caps and that led to the demise of SF favorites like the Soho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.