Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I understand what you are saying. Because of the last and shape of the shoe my toes do come closer to the end of the shoe than on say my strands. To me the patriots are more like a slipper (which essentially they are) and not like other shoes that I own. I find that i've been wearing my patriots more than anything else. To me they are the perfect summer shoe. I bought some loafer (invisible) socks and i've been wearing the patriots that way with many outfits.

2. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I'm having to flip my Patriots because the vamp can't handle my high instep. I asked both a brick and mortar sales associate and the on line chat service for a suggested alternative. No luck with either. I've tried on a Randolph. Same problem.

Anyone with any ideas, regardless of brand?

Also, regarding Cincikid's question:

"Just got a pair of Anchorages--an AE longwing blucher with wool uppers--.... The shoes seem to be extremely soft and comfortable, but I have not yet decided whether I will keep them or send them back. Will appreciate your thoughts on the stile and the versatility of the shoe."

To me, having any sort of "calf + Material X" is always going to be a bit of a tricky curiosity that makes more (apparent) sense if one goes ahead and goes "whole hog" with the second material being of a second color. It seems easier to get away with it in summer time. Plus, sometimes the second material is designed to theoretically provide for additional cooling, e.g. spectators with some sort of woven material for half the shoe. Again, a summertime thing.

Having a black & black or a brown & brown, half wool, half calf shoe just seems a bit odd with no apparent functional purpose and without even the aesthetic novelty of a contrasting color spectator. I'll confess to not knowing just how often I would chose to wear a pair, and this is coming from one who loves LWB's a little too much.

Generally speaking, this is like other dilemmas faced by many posting here: If you already have a good rotation going, adding a bit of an odd ball with perhaps limited use, but an oddball that is nevertheless comfortable and well made for only $125, is safer for that person than for a person with a smaller collection trying to maximize versatility and getting the most bang for his buck.

Only you can judge in which camp you fit. Beyond that, I'm sure it is simply a matter of personal preference. Just my opinion, though.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

3. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

So after trying on my new PAs again today, I've noticed that they kind of bow out around my ankles since I have pretty big ankles. Is this acceptable or problematic? Should I try half a size smaller in length and go up a width? Or is this last just not for me? I have pretty flat feet and my ankles are more on the inside of my foot than directly over the middle. Everything else fits perfectly when I walk and such. The last picture is the shape the shoe takes afterwards. Please disregard the silly socks.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rc121

rc121 Senior member

others have had this exact same problem and there are a lot of posts regarding it from several months back. There are a lot of theories as to what causes it but I don't think there was a consensus. Some say its the last and some say its a defect. But I don't think we saw it on many other 5 last shoes, so I lean towards the latter. Take them back and try a different pair, as some pairs are worse then others.

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the same issue - I can barely put the Randolph on due to my high instep. Try the Westchester - fits me like a glove. But they have been discontinued, so act fast!

Chris

6. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Many thanks for a thoughtful reply. I am pretty sure the shoes will only find a limited use (I do have ~15 shoes in rotation, including mostly AE, Alden and an odd pair of Trickers) so I will probably go ahead and return them, without looking back. I actually just scored a pair of MacNeils from the rough collection (a 2011 webgem) off ebay in a nearly pristine condition, and I am pretty sure they will fit the bill a lot better than the Anchorages.

7. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

If nothing else they certainly do look quite comfortable. I think maybe i'm just self conscious about my short feet (comparative to my height).

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

It is worth noting IMO kentyman, good point and if the Cognac would had been out when I purchased mine I would have jumped on them instead!

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Check out a now discontinued AE McGraw. It's on a 4 last, which I found very accomodating. Last time I checked, Shoebank had a solid stock of those in both leather and suede.

10. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Not quite what you're asking for, but here's a picture of the Patriot next to a couple of Aldens:

Top:patriot(9D), Middle:Alden LWB(Barrie 8.5D), Bottom:Alden LHS(Van 8.5D)
    [​IMG]

The Patriots are a fairly stubby pair of shoes, and are a little less sleek than even the Alden LHS. But I do like them as they are a pretty classic looking pair of penny loafers.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I agree with Pastor but that seems normal to me [​IMG]

All summer when home I have worn my Patriots more than any other shoe which includes working from home today. I just went into the closet and was surprised at how much difference in length there is compared to my 5 lasted shoes. But compared to the Leeds on the 1 last not so much. In 10D:
    [​IMG]

Hmmm don't think I've ever worn the Leeds with technical fly fishing pants before.... I had to put socks on for the Leeds and quick picture. The Patriot is one of the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. Exactly 3 months ago SouthNarc posted pics of his Manchester's -
    I have desired a pair ever since then and yesterday finally ordered them. With luck they will fit and I can only hope they are as comfortable as the Patriot's.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That's a modified Regent Street. Very comfortable shoe, but a little bit of an odd duck, being halfway between dress and casual. I've got a pair in chili that I wear often. I actually think it works better with the wool contrast than of it were all black calf, because it dresses it down even more.

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Are those shell Manchesters? Bravo, if so. Great custom makeup.

14. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Thanks for the pic, Mack. I disagree, however, that the Patriots are that much stubbier than the Alden LHS. When you posted this pic I really could not tell you the difference between the top and bottom shoes. Truth be told, if you look closely, it looks as if there is more vamp real estate on the top shoe than the bottom one, which I think would actually support the notion that Alden's LHS is actually stubbier. More toe area = less cramped looking toes = less stubby looking? Maybe? Nice looking shoes, either way.

15. GeneralW

GeneralW Well-Known Member

I think I'll take them back since I bought the Strands too which are in the same last but I didn't have this problem with them. Can anyone confirm that the AEs sold during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale were firsts? Also should I bring them back to Nordstrom or to an AE store even though I bought them from Nordstrom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.