Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Can anyone tell me what model this is? It looks like it says "Hancock" but when I look at that shoe on AE's website, the Hancock is different. If you do know what shoe it is, what last is it on? I don't know how to look up model numbers. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

It is the Hancock; Allen Edmonds occasionally reuses names for entirely different models. My understanding is that the last digit of the model number (the 4-digit number directly below the size) indicates the last. If correct, these would be on the 4 last.

3. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

Cappuccino shell McAllisters today.

4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

[​IMG]

Burgundy shell patriots yesterday.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Here is another nice video - showing in motion the process of recrafting a worn pair of shoes (you may have to use the pause button often):

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Anyone recognize this original Allen Edmonds shoe from over 60 years ago?

[​IMG]

Notice the remarkable classic 7-lace eyelets for that great vintage style.

[​IMG]

Plus, this shoe was made with NO NAILS.

7. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

am I the only one that thinks that AE patriots are ugly? I love AE shoes but they just seem to make ones foot look quite round and short to boot.

8. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

You may be the only one as the Patriot has a pretty good following around here. I bought both the burgundy shell and the brown shell version within a week of each other. It is very similar to the Alden LHS which is one of Alden's most popular shoes. The biggest difference for me was that the shell patriots were at a large discount at a recent AE outlet sale. I got both pair of AEs for about what one pair of Aldens cost.

Here is the Brown variety
    [​IMG]

9. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Great looking shell Patriots, Pastor!

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Certainly true they're very much like the Alden LHS and were about $350ish (outlet) if I recall. You can't beat that price and it's not like you slumming it in a pair of AEs!

I see how some might not like the slipper look, but they're one handsome shoe!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

11. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

maybe it's just because I haven't seen them in person? Maybe the "taken from above" camera angle just makes the shoes look stubbier than they really are. It just seems like they are shorter looking than all the other shoes in people's collections. Whenever I see pictures of them next to other shoes owned by the same person, they always look like they shouldn't fit on the same persons foot.

I do have an issue with short looking feet (i'm 6'4 and just found out that my official size is a 10D), so maybe that has something to do with my dislike for the shoes. I just imagine myself wearing them and having my feet looking shorter than they already are...

I'd like to see a picture of someone with a patriot on one foot, and another, lace up shoe on the other... Any takers?

12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Just got a pair of Anchorages--an AE longwing blucher with wool uppers--as a part of a 2 for 250 deal. I erroneously assumed they are essentially the modified MacNeils, but they are actually built on the 4 last and both look and fit quite different from the MacNeils. I think they are more similar to the Aberdeen than to MacNeil. The shoes seem to be extremely soft and comfortable, but I have not yet decided whether I will keep them or send them back. Will appreciate your thoughts on the stile and the versatility of the shoe.
    .[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

For what it's worth, my Center Fielders felt like slippers from the first day, though if anything they're a tad on the long side.

14. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I successfully removed tongue pads from some Elgins in the past. After getting the pad out, I basically had to just keep rubbing with a finger until all the residue rolled off. Took maybe 5-10 minutes, but it was fine afterward. I followed up with some Conditioner/Cleaner just for good measure.

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's worth noting that the Dark Brown Cognac McTavish (which maybe didn't exist at the time) resembles Cold Iron's darkened version. Then again, the welts are much darker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.