• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received one of my custom orders. I reached back to the McClain in the bourbon and bone spectator make-up. Just something a little different. What do you guys think of these?

Possibly the best Spectators I have seen. Well done!

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I got some AE shoe polish so I may give that a try. Your Strands looks a bit darker than ones I've seen, is this because of the Saphir Cognac you've been working with?
I love how you lace the shoes, I may need to borrow this.
biggrin.gif

I've used the AE Walnut shoe polish for a couple of years, but am toying with a switch to Saphir cognac to combat some of the orangeness that Strands tend to have. I also regularly use the conditioner cleaner, which has them in good shape two years later.

Pastor, I've always heard to stay away from extensive use of neutral polish for calfskin because it can cause the shoes to take on a grayish tone after a few years. Have you not noticed anything like this?

P.S. By neutral, I mean neutral polish, not Renovateur (which is what I generally use if I do not want to alter the color).

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some AE shoe polish so I may give that a try. Your Strands looks a bit darker than ones I've seen, is this because of the Saphir Cognac you've been working with?
I love how you lace the shoes, I may need to borrow this.
biggrin.gif

No, this picture is pre-experimentation. Nothing but AE Walnut polish, which darkens the Strands with time. I like them darker, but some try to preserve the original color by alternating between a lighter and darker polish.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ridgeways with lug soles

crossing a stream. (Probably not a good idea to try this wearing shoes with leather soles.)

Subutai

Reaction score

Thank you for the advice.

Also, what would you guys say is AEs "best" monk strap?  I like the Neumora but the square toe box has me put off a bit.  Is it less square in person than in online photos?

I like the Neumora's a lot; I like the monkstrap on the 3 last. If you're not a fan of the toe box, go for the Mora 2.0's (awful name).

I also like the Franciscan as i prefer the look of the single strap. I also like the broguing, but I believe I am in the minority on that

Subutai

Reaction score

I think the colors change for this shoe right?

It used to be a brown but now it says burgundy...I really liked the brown after seeing it in person and am hoping it comes back at the next nordstrom sale.

Ah, I tend to favor burgundy over any other color

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't get more simple than the Park Ave. It's AE's best selling shoe!

You might be able to find some 2nds of the Brooks Brothers version from the Shoe Bank. I got mine for $129 about 6 months ago. The BB version offers a poron insole and a rubber sole/topy covering the leather sole.

+1 for black PA

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Merlot Park Avenues from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale arrived today. They look and feel spectacular! I was nervous since I've had to re-learn my size after losing 65lbs.

Here's a family picture of all of my Merlot / Burgundy AE's:

Clifton in 11.5D, Patriot in 10EEE, McAllister in 11D, Park Ave's 11D

David Copeland

Reaction score
To each his own. I probably wouldn't like half the stuff in your closet either.

I agree. I am at a loss why Vinny Mac would even be interested in style. From his "style" photo below, I can certainly see how his closet would be rather limited in shirt selections:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What a great collection Pastor! Andy himself on AAAC stores his shoes in the same exact manner and Eagle stores his off season shoes in the same way. They have for quite a few years and never reported any problems. The closet you have planned for your new home makes me jealous, and sounds perfect.

Many higher end shoes come in shoeboxes (including the AE Independence Line) with a hole in the shoe boxes for air flow. I have often thought about building a display and storage case for my shoes, quarter sawn red oak frame with birdseye or flame maple panels recessed slightly so it didn't have a massive look to it. And because of the shell would require UV proof museum grade glass doors. Depth of standard case goods isn't deep enough for most shoes and I enjoy woodworking anyhow. I would want a little ventilation and have looked at low noise fans used in AV enclosures that cool amps. Total cost to build would be around the price of a pair of Carmina shell boots and time to build something like that is hard to come by. But someday plan on it. I use the Mac method when I take my shoes off then store them in my closet on closetmaid shelving. So when I go to put them back on again I have to wipe the dust off then do a quick Mac method once again. Doing the brushing so often helps with the shine I'm sure but on those mornings that I'm in a hurry it would be nice to not have to.... I do not consider your storage method a result of OCD but rather an attention to detail. Again what a wonderful collection you have! 

Wow, sounds like an awesome project. If you go through with it, make sure to document.

Here is my storage setup. Two pairs per box of boots and I can get 3 pair of AE's in there. There's no need for me to drill holes for leather "breathing" since the seal on these bins is quite loose and plenty of air gets in and out. Going to work on the labeling next And check out my "butt ugly" shirts on plebe wire hangers!:

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Ridgeways with lug soles

crossing a stream. (Probably not a good idea to try this wearing shoes with leather soles.)

I had to take a double look on your photo - very creative. For a moment I asked myself "how did he get those rocks up in the trees?"

Subutai

Reaction score
Merlot Park Avenues from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale arrived today. They look and feel spectacular! I was nervous since I've had to re-learn my size after losing 65lbs.

Here's a family picture of all of my Merlot / Burgundy AE's:

Clifton in 11.5D, Patriot in 10EEE, McAllister in 11D, Park Ave's 11D

Great collection, and congrats on losing 65 lbs! Gotta get a new wardrobe now too!

crizq0

Reaction score
Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned getting an orange color to the strands when using the cognac polish and they would use the AE polish every now and then to combat the orangeness. Keep us updated when you try the the saphir cognac though. Are you getting the cognac cream or the wax?
I've used the AE Walnut shoe polish for a couple of years, but am toying with a switch to Saphir cognac to combat some of the orangeness that Strands tend to have. I also regularly use the conditioner cleaner, which has them in good shape two years later. Pastor, I've always heard to stay away from extensive use of neutral polish for calfskin because it can cause the shoes to take on a grayish tone after a few years. Have you not noticed anything like this? P.S. By neutral, I mean neutral polish, not Renovateur (which is what I generally use if I do not want to alter the color).

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to take a double look on your photo - very creative. For a moment I asked myself "how did he get those rocks up in the trees?"
Thank you, David. There have been many people who have posted about what wearing Ridgeways feels like walking on the sidewalk. Walking off the sidewalk is totally different, and is what I thought that the Ridgeways were made for. They are very good "off-road" shoes as anyone who climbs up a hill in the woods covered with pine needles will find out.

The orange welt and laces also look very good with an orange shirt or jacket, which is the sort of shirt or jacket that one wears in the woods to avoid being mistaken for anything that anyone is out hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads