Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

What a great collection Pastor! Andy himself on AAAC stores his shoes in the same exact manner and Eagle stores his off season shoes in the same way. They have for quite a few years and never reported any problems. The closet you have planned for your new home makes me jealous, and sounds perfect.

Many higher end shoes come in shoeboxes (including the AE Independence Line) with a hole in the shoe boxes for air flow. I have often thought about building a display and storage case for my shoes, quarter sawn red oak frame with birdseye or flame maple panels recessed slightly so it didn't have a massive look to it. And because of the shell would require UV proof museum grade glass doors. Depth of standard case goods isn't deep enough for most shoes and I enjoy woodworking anyhow. I would want a little ventilation and have looked at low noise fans used in AV enclosures that cool amps. Total cost to build would be around the price of a pair of Carmina shell boots and time to build something like that is hard to come by. But someday plan on it. I use the Mac method when I take my shoes off then store them in my closet on closetmaid shelving. So when I go to put them back on again I have to wipe the dust off then do a quick Mac method once again. Doing the brushing so often helps with the shine I'm sure but on those mornings that I'm in a hurry it would be nice to not have to.... I do not consider your storage method a result of OCD but rather an attention to detail. Again what a wonderful collection you have!

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

With the drill set to low speed and a backing block of scrap wood to help prevent chipping.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

What a great classic look! You pulled that off very well. All of a sudden I have a strong hankering for a piece of pecan pie and a glass of sweet tea [​IMG]
    Since bucksfan introduced us to the Jeffersonville Outlet I have normally used them and Kristle. But during the sale in March I couldn't get through all day so ended up calling the main Shoebank and placed my order. I was charged for all of my shoes but never received one of them. A few months ago I called them up about it and Shirley answered the phone. You are correct, what a great helpful SA. I ended up ordering my burgundy shell Patriots from her and without me asking she said there were several pair in the warehouse and she would find me the best pair. A few days later she called me back and said she found the pair she was going to send me. They are absolutely flawless and look like firsts. She gets my vote also!

4. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Thanks for the encouragement. I love the positive attention I get when I wear a pair of spectators.

CH

5. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

Hey, all. I have three pairs of AEs (Black PAs, Dark Brown FAs, Walnut Strands) and want to buy a fourth pair of dress shoes for work in a Manhattan law firm. I've been looking for a pair of black wholecuts like the ones below (whether from AE or not):

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds, Westgate (I think this is discontinued?)

[​IMG]
    Crockett and Jones, Alex (http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Alex-Black#.UggU8ZLVCSo)

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I think AE has a new wholecut this season, the Hanover. Not sure if the 333 last is up your alley though...

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I love the alex when I tried them on I realized how formal they really are, reserved for black tie etc. I don't know how well they would work in a law firm. Perhaps try a black cap toe boot to switch it up. Just my .02

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

That would be some impressive storage for your footwear, CI!! I keep all my shoe boxes but don't like using them for storage. So I have my boots on cheap racks and the floor in my closet. But I'm having a woodworker build me a boot rack with heart of cedar wood. I used the stackable shoe/boot racks that AE sells as a design starting point. I'm excited to see how it turns out and looking forward to that cedar smell in my closet.

9. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

+1. I have them in snuff suede as well.

10. Troilus

Troilus Senior member

AE just brought back a wholecut (Hanover) on a 333 last.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2962_1_40000000001_-1

As for general suggestions about a "Manhattan law firm," I'm guessing from your wardrobe and the timing of your email that you're going to be an incoming first year this fall. It won't really matter what you wear, but I would never wear wholecuts to a client meeting. I certainly don't wear them to court. That's what PAs and FAs are for.

If your looking for something more work appropriate, black McAllisters are probably your best bet.

11. Luisesp

Luisesp Member

Beautiful Shoes, I think this is the best Macneil makeup I have seen, wear in Good Health. How did you place the order?, I have been checking out the website but I could not find the cordovan options, and what was the price point if you dont mind sharing that?

12. Luisesp

Luisesp Member

I apologize, I have little Experience posting on the forum, I meant to reply to GOP Shoe Guy. Thanks!

Beautiful Shoes, I think this is the best Macneil makeup I have seen, wear in Good Health. How did you place the order?, I have been checking out the website but I could not find the cordovan options, and what was the price point if you dont mind sharing that?

13. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I have been looking at some pictures of shoes lately, and am really fond of the AE clifton in brown. Do they still sell this colorway in this shoe? If not, is there any suitable replace for the clifton? A simple Cap toe Derby in brown is exactly what I am looking for.

14. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Troilus - I'm curious, why would you not wear wholecuts to a client meeting? I'm a bit new to the higher-end shoe thing. Are wholecuts viewed as more casual or 'stylish' relative to a captor? Thanks :)

15. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Thanks for confirming. That is what I worried had happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.