• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like you use almost nothing on burgundy and black. Why nothing on the rest? I've read about how shell reacts differently to rain for different people/shoes. Looks like I'll be getting mine on Monday and Tuesday.

Couple of other shell questions in general:

1. the SA at AE told me that the JR soles that AE uses on it's shell shoes is made from shell itself. I always thought they were made of regular leather. Anyone care to comment?

2. With calf shoes some people advocate putting toe taps or sole protectors. Is something similar recommended with shell?

Thanks
I agree with Winston on 1 and 2.
The SA is wrong. The JR soles are not made from shell cordovan. While the JR soles are supposed to be more robust, like any other leather soles they eventually will need to be resoled at some point in the future assuming you are wearing the shoes, so it if for you to decide whether you want to add sole protectors, taps, etc.
The reason that I try not to use anything (except Reno once in awhile) on brown, cappuccino or walnut is because each shoe\boot in those colors are slightly different and I don't want to alter the "natural" color of the shell. AE didn't even offer brown shell until 3-4 years ago and even that varies in shade.
<>
It started pouring like crazy as I was about to leave so I didn't wear the Katmais in the end. Didn't want to risk it. I read they are supposed to be able to stand up to crappy weather but I need to apply the AE Waterproofer spray first
I feel that was a good move and do not wear new suede until I spray it. The Katmai is on closeout for mainstream purchase but one of those that should still be available through Lands End like the Bayfield and brown calf Leeds as long as your a D width. Yes they can stand up to crappy weather when treated and I have worn mine in the mud and rain shooting sporting clays, I usually wear the Katmai or shell 744's when I shoot clays spring through fall. I really like them and they are my first suede footwear in many years. Great purchase IMO.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love the contrast between the vamp and the toebox, but that welt is a bit too much for me. It overwhelms the rest of the shoe for me.
That's precisely what I love about it. Makes it more audacious.

Though these pics looks almost chili to me. Must be my screen.

mavrik13

Reaction score
i havent tried it
i am size 14b,c
cant imagine going to 13
You will be surprised. There is no way those shoes fit you, easily at least one size too big. While they may feel comfortable now, because there is so much room in the shoe, can almost guarantee you that you won't be comfortable in those shoes after wearing them for an entire day. I would be shocked if you didn't comfortably fit into a narrower size 13.

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of Tan Cronmoks.

What would be the best way to add some color to them, mink oil or neutral wax? I have seen images like the ones below (yes I know they are not the same shoes, but are the same leathers and color) and both members used different techniques. I guess I am trying to find out which is the best option?

LL

LL

Thanks guys

It has been a while (and many pages back), but I believe I used neatsfoot oil on these guys to darken them up.

I have experimented with Reno (mink oil based) and neatsfoot oil a few times.
I would say that neatsfoot oil darkens more generally than Reno. Neutral wax I found to not really darken so much.

A few suggestions if you are trying to darken your boots.
Probably start out with Reno first. Since, from my experience, it does not darken quite a hard as neatsfoot oil, it may be a good first step. And, since Reno can be applied with a brush, your chances of over using the product compared to a free flowing oil should be less.
Second, with either product, be sure you spread it evenly on the entire boot. The last thing you want are patches of dark spots that you have to even out.
Third, and probably the most important, darkening typically is one way... meaning you can darken, but you can't lighten. This being said, start with a small amount of product, spread evenly, then let it dry/sit for some time. The time period to sit may be a couple of hours, overnight, or even a couple of weeks. The point is, give time to see the results of your work and determine if you really want to go a shade darker. Once you find the shade you love, stop and enjoy in good health.

I will try to take some pics in the near future of the cronmoks. With fall around the corner, there will be plenty of occasions to break these out.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It has been a while (and many pages back), but I believe I used neatsfoot oil on these guys to darken them up.

I would say that neatsfoot oil darkens more generally than Reno. Neutral wax I found to not really darken so much.

Probably start out with Reno first. Since, from my experience, it does not darken quite a hard as neatsfoot oil, it may be a good first step. And, since Reno can be applied with a brush, your chances of over using the product compared to a free flowing oil should be less.
Second, with either product, be sure you spread it evenly on the entire boot. The last thing you want are patches of dark spots that you have to even out.
Third, and probably the most important, darkening typically is one way... meaning you can darken, but you can't lighten. This being said, start with a small amount of product, spread evenly, then let it dry/sit for some time. The time period to sit may be a couple of hours, overnight, or even a couple of weeks. The point is, give time to see the results of your work and determine if you really want to go a shade darker. Once you find the shade you love, stop and enjoy in good health.

I will try to take some pics in the near future of the cronmoks. With fall around the corner, there will be plenty of occasions to break these out.
Outstanding job horsey shoes. I also used neatsfoot oil to darken my natural McTavish which were not even in color when I got them. At the time I purchased them they were only available in natural (tan) and black. You can control the depth of darkness by applying multiple coats of neatsfoot oil. One thing I would caution is that not all leather oil will behave the same on different leathers. I almost ruined my Black Hills by using Obenhauf's leather oil, they looked like the leather Gods had puked all over them after I used it. Took a week of saddle soaping them every night to get them back where I started. But I use Obenhauf's leather oil on my light tan Eastports for protection with no problems. The neatsfoot oil I used on my McTavish was from Ace hardware and worked perfectly and seems to on all leather I have used it on. Over time it does lighten some, you can darken them again by applying more oil as needed.

Using the Elgin as a reference color. Before:

After:

deburn

Reaction score

The SA is wrong. The JR soles are not made from shell cordovan. While the JR soles are supposed to be more robust, like any other leather soles they eventually will need to be resoled at some point in the future assuming you are wearing the shoes, so it if for you to decide whether you want to add sole protectors, taps, etc.

Yeah, I didn't think the soles were shell either. He sounded knowledgeable about other AE stuff though.

Re the toe taps and sole protectors, does anyone add them to new shell?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Centerfielders feel really comfortable to me but by mid-day to end of day my back of the heels feel rubbed raw.  Apparently this is somewhat common with boat shoes during the brak-in period.

Now I wear band aids on my heels whenever I wear the centerfielders as a preventative measure.

Just wondering if any forum members have any advice on breaking in the centerfielders?  How long does it take to break in boat shoes?

I had that same issue with my AE Eastports. I wore band aids on the heels for 4-5 wearings but don't have the problem now.

Chris

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I am a changed man, for I have discovered God's gift to my feet - tongue pads. I have a low-volume foot. It's wide as hell, which is why I wear a EEE, but I guess my foot is kinda flat. This means that while my shoes fit through the widest part of my foot, going vertically is sometimes a pain, as they will fit too loose. Sizing down does not fix this issue for me. I have had a problem with a couple of pairs of shoes - my new Patriots and Elgins, where I just could not find a size that fit all around. They fit the widest part of my feet, but were loose. I picked up a pair of Port Washingtons from South Coast Plaza last night - my wife thinks they're "cute" and bought them for me - and asked about tongue pads. The SA threw in a couple of pairs for me. I put them in my Patriots this morning. I was a little nervous about doing it, since if they didn't work it would leave sticky residue. I tried them on and lo, and behold - I now have a pair of shell patriots that fit - just like my shell idol, the godfather Cold Iron. I followed it up with the Elgins, and now they fit great. I am a convert!

nicedream

Reaction score
Just got my MTO on Thursday, so I took a few pictures to share with you guys today. I know some of you got your custom orders in 4 weeks or so, but these took longer than expected - 10 weeks. Ordered them right around Memorial Day, so I've been waiting on these for pretty much the whole summer.

AE Leeds in brown burnished calf, w/ poron insoles and titan rubber soles:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Horsey! Thank you so much for the details, I truly appreciate it.

I just purchased the shoes and will be waiting about a month for them to arrive… gotta make sure I bookmark this comment.

If you could post more pics, that would be amazing.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Outstanding job horsey shoes. I also used neatsfoot oil to darken my natural McTavish which were not even in color when I got them. At the time I purchased them they were only available in natural (tan) and black. You can control the depth of darkness by applying multiple coats of neatsfoot oil. One thing I would caution is that not all leather oil will behave the same on different leathers. I almost ruined my Black Hills by using Obenhauf's leather oil, they looked like the leather Gods had puked all over them after I used it. Took a week of saddle soaping them every night to get them back where I started. But I use Obenhauf's leather oil on my light tan Eastports for protection with no problems. The neatsfoot oil I used on my McTavish was from Ace hardware and worked perfectly and seems to on all leather I have used it on. Over time it does lighten some, you can darken them again by applying more oil as needed.

Using the Elgin as a reference color. Before:

After:

The after pictures are great. Even had my wife (works in fashion) look at them and she prefers the darker shoe as well.

That makes it easier for me to buy them and darken them up!

Pastor

Reaction score
We just moved into a new place with a lot more closet space so I finally have all my shoes (well, almost all my shoes) in one place. I've been storing my shoes in the off seasons. Anyway, I snapped a few pics today of my closet.

Mostly AE's with some Alden and Carmina thrown in as well

JermynStreet

Reaction score
We just moved into a new place with a lot more closet space so I finally have all my shoes (well, almost all my shoes) in one place. I've been storing my shoes in the off seasons. Anyway, I snapped a few pics today of my closet.

Nice collection, Pastor. That looks like it was the product of an awful lot of preaching.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice collection, Pastor. That looks like it was the product of an awful lot of preaching. 

great way of storage and won't have any troubles of finding any pair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads