1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

Correct. My unicorn I mean, burgundy shell Cambridges arrived yesterday. $359.20, free shipping, no sales tax if no brick and mortar store in your state.

The Tangers 20% off coupon is good all month (I'm pretty sure) at the Jeffersonville, OH store as well as the ones in Charleston and (near) Raleigh. They're all working off the same sale list the shoebank has. So it's a great chance to take the plunge on shell. No sure when it can be gotten cheaper.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Wonderful looking shoe! Congrats and wear in good health.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Quick question, and sorry in advance for asking this, as I'm sure this has probably been discussed here before. If "W" is printed on the sole of an AE shoe, does it signify seconds? If not, what does it mean? Thanks very much...

4. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior Member

Have been doing some searching, but haven't turned up much. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the AE Tresana? Seems to be from the 7 line, which I don't think they carry anymore. Really, a nice looking shoe.

5. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

I have the black and walnut shell macneils. Both get a nice shine. I also have shell burgundy Daltons, I am having a hell of a time getting a nice shine on them. I have a feeling that AE used a bunch of creme on them. Ive used Reno Mat and Renovator on the... Not a ton of success. It appears your burgundy shell is duller than the other two. Am I seeing that right? Do you think it is just the burgundy? I have to say that my walnut shell macneils that arrived yesterday appeared to not have any creme, they are basically raw shell....

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

I completely disagree with this. Patrick_B, Cold Iron, Mr.DV and a variety of others get a shine easily on par with Uncle Mac

7. deburn

deburn Senior Member

It means that it's worn. Judging by the seconds I got in the 2 for 250.00 sale, it looks like seconds have a small oval light colored spot on the sole just in front of the heel

8. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior Member

9. deburn

deburn Senior Member

Just got my Katmai. Looks great. It looked more orange on the website, which I was concerned about, but it's less so in person. Fits great and I plan to wear them today even though it's raining a little and I haven't sprayed it the AE waterproofing spray!

The Strawfuts also came. They look nice but they are too big for me so I'm returning them. Probably a good thing given all the other shoes I've bought recently

Expecting one of the shells to be delivered today. I'm going away this weekend so I won't have time to check it out though. Running out of places to hide my shoes :D

10. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

Maiden voyage for my Neumoras from the 2 for $250 sale. I was a little bit concerned that the Neumora could be too big in my regular size and might look too elongated, but it actually fits very well and I think the proportions look pretty good. The defect, as far as I could tell, is that the heel cups are installed a bit crooked, which I can live with, especially for $125. I'm pleased with this one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

It's actually supposed to in the shape of a shoe, at least I always thought so.

My walnut shell doesn't seem to shine as well as my burgundy shell, so I have the opposite experience from you.

That's why you have to throw in some time here and there. Eventually after several wears you'll start getting that shine.

I don't think there should be too much concerns with the butyl sole, but I would be worried about the uppers getting salted water/slush on them. I always try to have my SWIMS with me if there is going to be salt out.

12. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

The burgundy is definitely duller. I used reonovateur and renomat to strip them, but didn't finish off with renovateur. Last night I sat and applied some more. It's amazing to me how much creme was on the burgundy ones. After stripping, I used a wet rag to wipe them down and even more came off. Last night as I applied renovateur, I was still getting some creme coming off. I'm just going to have to brush them for a long time now - I think I got most of it off.

The black ones only arrived this week, and I have not done anything with them. They actually don't appear to have tons of anything on them. They've got the old soles, before the Horween stamp got put on them, so they've been sitting at the Shoe Bank for at least a year I think. That was back before they started putting tons of product on shell.

As for the walnut shell MacNeils, don't let their appearance fool you. They appear to be coated in something else. I scuffed my walnut shell Sheltons, which have the same coating, so I applied some renovateur so I could buff them. The amount of product that came off was astounding. Same with the cappuccino shell saddle on the shoe. So of course I stripped those too. Sometime when I get the chance I need to take an updated picture of the shell family. I'm up to 12 pairs now!

13. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

How did you size the strawfut compared to other shoes you have on the 565 last?

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

This worked like a charm. Though it will take many, many repetitions of doing it this way before it feels natural.

15. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior Member

The W either indicates a worn, returned shoe or "thirds", which are basically shoes that are of too poor quality to be sold even as seconds.

A second will have a shoe silhouette stampled on the sole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.