Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I did not request that. There is a slight difference, and it looks awesome. Though the camera rally intensifies the color difference. Nonetheless, I am very happy with these. I have almost forgotten that they took 15 weeks to come. Well worth the wait though. They did only send me one pair of laces, and they were a natural brown, matching the welt. I had to dig around to find the darker par which I have in them. I think the lighter lace made the show look way to casual.

2. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Between these, Polo Jock's MacNeils, and (I forget who)'s Walnut/Burgundy Sheltons, the creative minds at the AE design department should have plenty of food for thought for web gems these next few months.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Those are absolutely sublime. How's it feel to have the coolest MacNeils on the planet, eh? :nodding: Speaking of MTO shell MacNeils -- I shot shoebank an email today asking about seconds and closeouts in my crazy not-even-listed-on-the-website size; sure enough, there was a pair of burgundy shell MacNeils that wasn't there this time last year (right alongside the two burgundy shell Leeds and pair of burgundy shell Graysons that were). 7/24/12 the shell seconds were $299, today they're $449... it's a whole lot easier this time around to say no.

4. deburn

deburn Senior member

I would like them to get that great shine, but in practice I may not have the time and/or patience to brush for hours :)

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

I belive B Nelson charges 35.00 for taps

6. deburn

deburn Senior member

any idea why the price went up from 299 to 449? btw I just got them for 20% off the 449 = 359. Still not as good as the 299, but thought I'd pass that along

7. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

not a fan of the calf macneils, but those are awesome

8. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Three shell MacNeils

[​IMG]

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I do like and respect Mcarthur a lot, however, I am convinced that he has a shining wheel at his house. I just find it too incredible that he is the only person on SF that is able to achieve that high of a sheen on his shell. For all of the people we have on this site, there is just no way only one person can get the glossy finish he achieves without mechanized help - we would have seen it by now. Moreover, I have achieved that sort of shine on shell...only after giving it over to a cobbler who used wax to polish it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  10. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Cold Iron gets a pretty incredible shine. His pics match the shine of Mac's.

Quantity of shell is another story....

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Yeah, not sure anyone can match Mac's collection.

12. scorpwk

scorpwk Active Member

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking this website for about the past month and I finally decided to take the plunge for a nicer pair of dress shoes. I ended up purchasing a 8.5 E Park Avenue during Nordstrom's sale, but I'm sort of concerned about the quality of my shoes. I started with a 8.5 D, but I found that they were too tight on my toes so I returned them and ordered a 8.5 E. When I received my first pair of 8.5E the size was perfect, but there was a break/crack about 1 inch long around the lace hole of the shoe. I returned that shoe and ordered yet another pair of 8.5E that I received today. Upon opening the shoes were perfect and I decided to condition and clean them with the AE Conditioner/Cleaner. I bought the cotton flannel cloth and I watched the AE Shoe care video about 20 times and decided to go ahead and clean/condition them. Upon doing so I noticed that the toe of the shoe became rougher and there was a lot black residue discoloring my cloth. The result is this:

[​IMG]

That glossy finish that came on the shoes is gone, is this normal? I'm guessing its not, but at this point what can I do. I can assure you that I rubbed the conditioner in gently (as advised in the AE calfskin care video), but perhaps I was still overzealous about rubbing? I don't know. I though that maybe I should take it to a cobbler tomorrow on my way into work to see what they thought. Well, I appreciate any input.

I suppose I'm just concerned that I may have messed up a beautiful new pair of shoes.

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Not true, David. I ordered Shelton from Amazon a few months ago because I had the 20% coupon. I ordered two different sizes because I wasn't sure my size at the time. They were both flawless for the record. I easily returned the pair that didn't fit. All it took was a few clicks on their website and I had a paid shipping label.

14. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks to those who responded. I had to run out of town on a business trip so I'm just now getting to them all. I need to try on the shoes again and see what hits me. Someone suggested seconds from the Shoe Bank. I tried that before ordering these and there was very limited quantity because they are now closeouts and the price was $259. I figured for $20 more I could get firsts. Unfortunately this pair had some issues and they sent me the wrong size.

15. wurger

wurger Senior member

nice! love the contrast offered by the natural welt. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.