• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
For those of you who may have missed AE's president, Paul Grangaard, on Bloomberg Television a few months back . . . this will help make you feel VERY proud to be an AE customer supporting an American Company - which is EXPORTING to China as Chinese customers are buying all of the popular American styles.

Other notes in the video (see below) include:

Since the nose dive of the American Economy - in the last two years AE has recommitted to their core customer base, plus expanded their line of styles to attract a much larger base of customers.

Their 212 step process to manufacture AE shoes have proven the Chinese will not invest the amount of time into producing their kind of shoe. There are no other major competitors for the amount of steps, except Britain and Italy.

Sales are up 45% in the last two years, as an economic indicator.

New sports line includes: Baseball stitching around new Spring Time Loafer (which has a patent), plus new golf line styles - with new spike-less golf soles, including an anti-swaying outer ridge to help golfers stay within their game stance.

New store in China last November proved success with American Styles wanted by Chinese customers, all exported from the USA to China

AE's main focus is Urban, Suburban, Professional Men.

And the video . . .
Thanks for posting....very good to see that

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used Meltonian Mink Oil on my Chukkamonks and it darkened them slightly, which was my intent. Meltonian is a mix of silicone, Mink Oil and Lanolin. I used a cloth wrapped around my finger and brushed after it dried for an hour. My goal was to darken them and possibly make them a bit more water proof as these will be my bad weather shoes for work (business casual). I assume they will darken up over time with use as well. I have a tube of AE Premium Walnut Polish that I may try using on them later to see if that further darkens them a bit. I have neatsfoot, but it says "non darkening" on the label.

I really like what you've done with the color. I got the Chukkamoks (still hate the name) as a good boot to wear in the summer (and because of the clearance price). But I think I am going to darken them as yours look really nice. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to get a bit nervous about my Bayfields. I was told a week ago they would ship in a day or so. I have yet to receive any shipping info, no cc charge and no response back from customer service. I am really hoping they didn't fail final inspection again

I failed inspection the second time also this week... Should be allot of shell in seconds

Seems like an awful lot of MTO's failing inspection. I'm wondering if the AE employees get the opportunity to buy rejected shoes at a discount. If so, I can envision a scenario like when I frost Christmas cookies with the kids and they keep accidentally breaking cookies in order to eat them right away.

AE ee 1: Jim, what size is that awesome Bayfield in Walnut Shell?
AE ee 2: It's a 11D.
AE ee 1: Sweet! Oh look at that scuff on the vamp, I can't approve this for release to the customer. He deserves a perfect shoe. Tell the boss I'm going to buy these rejects at the usual 50% off employee discount and we need to remake these shoes for the customer.

A few months later, there are a surprising number of AE employees walking around in Walnut shell Bayfields and Rydenfan is in disbelief his shoes have failed inspection four times.

cincikid

Reaction score
Halp please. My old casual wingtips just died on me - a good looking yet low quality pair of Steve Maddens. The whole sole on the right shoe just split apart. I like the looks of a lot of AE shoes, but really need a pair that will be casual enough to wear with chinos and classic enough not to go out of style in a year or two. Was thinking of the flat iron Oxford in bourbon. But I'm clueless. Any suggestions? Again, it's an everyday shoe to wear with chinos (and a polo usually) to work.
Take a look at the AE rough collection, particularly AE Aberdeen (longwing), McTavish (wing-tip) or Rapid City (plain toe). They should work pretty well with both chinos, jeans and casual shirts.

unambitious

Reaction score
How do the butyl soles hold up in the winter with light slush, snow, and salt? Trying to decide if I should put some Topy's on my brand new Fifth Streets for walking around the city during the winter months.

deburn

Reaction score

Congrats and I hope they fit well, those are 3 great shoes and you purchased them in the best color for each IMO! Great job. I agree with Mike on the question about black PA shell vs. Calf. And also care of shell although for final buffing I feel a microfiber cloth does a better job of bringing out a shine. Some say that shell has too many rolls to be considered formal, I disagree. Some others have said that black shell doesn't look good over time however I have never seen any pictures to prove that and I am very happy with my black shell. I have several shoes and boots where I purchased different colors of the same model but I have the PA in both black shell and calf. I picked up the calf for bad weather and they are the BB model with poron insoles and I don't care for the larger gap in the lacing that it causes. Every time I put them on I look at them and then put them back in the closet and wear the shell PA's instead. Which has held up just fine through snow and rain. I have yet to wear the calf outside of the house, they have at least an hour of polishing with the final coat in Saphir blue polish. Still dark outside so I couldn't take a picture with good lighting and a cell phone camera can't do a proper job of showing the depth of color that black shell has. Shell in the center and calf flanking on the ends. My right foot is slightly smaller than left so the right shell shoe does have more rolls than the left which is typical for me. But I have worn them enough that I don't expect any more rolls to develop or become deeper. They are my go to shoe when the occasion calls for a dressier more formal shoe.
Thanks Cold Iron. The Dundee was only available in brown so I didn't have a choice of color there, but the other two were availble in black and burgundy. Thanks for your perspective on calf vs shell - very helpful, and interesting that you don't wear the calf! I have limited experience with shell generally, but I have never seen a pair in black so it will be interesting to compare when I get the PAs. Thanks for the comparison pics I do plan on wearing one or more pairs in the snow and rain - is there anything particular you do to your shell shoes when using them this way?

shartmann

Reaction score
Congrats and I hope they fit well, those are 3 great shoes and you purchased them in the best color for each IMO! Great job.

I agree with Mike on the question about black PA shell vs. Calf. And also care of shell although for final buffing I feel a microfiber cloth does a better job of bringing out a shine.
Some say that shell has too many rolls to be considered formal, I disagree. Some others have said that black shell doesn't look good over time however I have never seen any pictures to prove that and I am very happy with my black shell. I have several shoes and boots where I purchased different colors of the same model but I have the PA in both black shell and calf. I picked up the calf for bad weather and they are the BB model with poron insoles and I don't care for the larger gap in the lacing that it causes. Every time I put them on I look at them and then put them back in the closet and wear the shell PA's instead. Which has held up just fine through snow and rain. I have yet to wear the calf outside of the house, they have at least an hour of polishing with the final coat in Saphir blue polish. Still dark outside so I couldn't take a picture with good lighting and a cell phone camera can't do a proper job of showing the depth of color that black shell has. Shell in the center and calf flanking on the ends.

My right foot is slightly smaller than left so the right shell shoe does have more rolls than the left which is typical for me. But I have worn them enough that I don't expect any more rolls to develop or become deeper. They are my go to shoe when the occasion calls for a dressier more formal shoe.

This is a great picture comparing calf and shell. I'm really looking forward to getting my black shell PA's. I know some folks prefer calf for formal shoes (I was even told here that I would be disappointed in my shell purchase), but this picture has me convinced I will prefer the black shell by a wide margin. Thanks Cold Iron.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
GOP Shoe Guy - a fine choice. Those certainly look like they were worth the wait. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads