Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I would say depending on what you want your shoes to look like you should use the Mac Method (not break-in) before your first wearing. If you are looking for a dull shine, then you can go ahead and wear.

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I just inquired about the McTavish and Elgin I ordered last Thursday as I haven't seen a shipment notification yet. Apparently there was an issue and they will ship out on Tuesday, almost two weeks after the order was placed. Plus, I'm going away on Thursday and won't see my new shoes now until September 3rd. What a long and brutal wait when you were looking forward to them.

3. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Very entertaining. Especially the X-ray inspection.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Starting to get a bit nervous about my Bayfields. I was told a week ago they would ship in a day or so. I have yet to receive any shipping info, no cc charge and no response back from customer service. I am really hoping they didn't fail final inspection again

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

If you can comfortably walk and doesn't feel loose, then they fit you. Our feet shape isn't a pointy cone so you toe will never be at the end of the shoe. What makes you think your true size is 7D?

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Having sole taps will preserve the soles longer, and ultimately the whole point of sole taps is to prevent recrafting all together, because if the rubber wears through, just replace it.

Tap soles is the most basic line of work for cobbler, so if they can't even do that well, they shouldn't' be in business.

7. chino213

chino213 Member

I downloaded the PDF for Allen Edmonds Fit Guide and measured my feet with that. My feet came out to a little above 9.5 inches which tells me I should wear a 7 US on the conversion chart.

8. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Good and Bad News...

My MTOs arrived today. The Walnut Shell Macneil that I ordered in the end of April. Been a while for that. Also, the Green Strandmok that I ordered the end of May. I had been jonesin' for these all day. Then my wife happened to be home when the Fed Ex truck arrived, and the box said 2 pairs of shoes, so she called and seemed a bit bothered that I had 2 more new pairs of shoes. If only she knew the Shell price....

So the Good News... The Walnut Shell Macneil is beautiful. I will post pictures later.

Now the bad News... The Green Strandmok, while a beautiful shoe that appears to be superbly made, not a flaw to be seen, was made in the wrong size. When I ordered it I emailed my rep from AE SWAT, and took some pics off of SF when someone else received the Green Stranmok. I loved the shoe. I emailed my SWAT team person and said I want these in a 12d. She said I know who we made those for, I will replicate the order. Today after over 2 1/2 months, I got an 11 1/2B and not my 12D. I am guessing the size was replicated as well. After waiting 3 1/2 months for my Shell, now I have this issue. I sent her my original email showing that I asked for a 12D, so hopefully she can get me a pair rushed. Now that I have seen the shoe, I really want it. I am trying to not be mad about all the hassles I have gone through for the MTOs... I am obviously disappointed.

I do have to say though the wait was worth it for the Shells. They are beautiful. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

either you don't have a pair of standard feet or you used to wearing loose shoes.

10. chino213

chino213 Member

i think the latter is the case here since i never wore my true size in any of my shoe. would you keep these shoes or sell them? it's bugging me knowing that i'll be wearing the wrong size while wearing them for years and taking very good care of them

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

You should actually try the 7D before making the decision, because you may find it too tight for your comfort.

12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Unfortunately, it does sound as though they failed inspection again....

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I know! I am going to be pretty upset if that is the case, but it feels like that is the case

14. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    For those of you who may have missed AE's president, Paul Grangaard, on Bloomberg Television a few months back . . . this will help make you feel VERY proud to be an AE customer supporting an American Company - which is EXPORTING to China as Chinese customers are buying all of the popular American styles.

Other notes in the video (see below) include:

Since the nose dive of the American Economy - in the last two years AE has recommitted to their core customer base, plus expanded their line of styles to attract a much larger base of customers.

Their 212 step process to manufacture AE shoes have proven the Chinese will not invest the amount of time into producing their kind of shoe. There are no other major competitors for the amount of steps, except Britain and Italy.

Sales are up 45% in the last two years, as an economic indicator.

New sports line includes: Baseball stitching around new Spring Time Loafer (which has a patent), plus new golf line styles - with new spike-less golf soles, including an anti-swaying outer ridge to help golfers stay within their game stance.

New store in China last November proved success with American Styles wanted by Chinese customers, all exported from the USA to China

AE's main focus is Urban, Suburban, Professional Men.

And the video . . .

15. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I failed inspection the second time also this week... Should be allot of shell in seconds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.