• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Chukkamok's just went on clearance for $195 as I was looking for a shoe/boot to wear to work on bad weather days to compliment my nicer leather soled dress shoes. Here is my Tan pair with a fresh coat of mink oil.

I'm a fan of the Rough collection and also have some Neumok's. They are unlined, so super comfortable and soft out of the box. Only negative is the leather is somewhat thin, especially at the tongue.

Those look great, I love how the mink oil darkened the tan color.

Can you provide a little more info about mink oil? What kind you use and how it's applied? Will you use any other products down the line to clean them?

Thanks in advance for the info!

BobStrauss

Reaction score
Halp please. My old casual wingtips just died on me - a good looking yet low quality pair of Steve Maddens. The whole sole on the right shoe just split apart. I like the looks of a lot of AE shoes, but really need a pair that will be casual enough to wear with chinos and classic enough not to go out of style in a year or two. Was thinking of the flat iron Oxford in bourbon. But I'm clueless. Any suggestions? Again, it's an everyday shoe to wear with chinos (and a polo usually) to work.

chino213

Reaction score
Hello. So, I bought 2 pairs of McAllisters in size 8 D a while back without knowing my true size which is a 7 D. I was ignorant about proper shoe fitting until a couple days ago :S I wasn't thinking about returning them at the time because i felt that the shoes fit me (can walk comfortably, doesn't feel loose). The only reason why i see this would not fit me is because of where my big toe ends up. I can feel my big toe nail ending right under wing tip brogueing, leaving a good amount of space between my big toe and the front of the shoe. Is this normal? Is the shoe too big for me? If it is, is it a deal breaker for you guys? would you guys go through the hassle on selling these shoes at a substantial amount lower than what you bought it for or keeping them? I only wore these shoes once outside and i'm trying to find some justification in keeping them...

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
No; you have never done it before, and chances are your first try probably will not be your finest effort. Moreover, I see no reason why you should try your hand at a new pair of shoes. Granted, black is black, but just as you wouldn't learn tailoring by slicing up a Huntsman suit, I probably wouldn't recommend trying dying on your own brand new pair of shoes. Most cobblers are probably able to do a decent enough dye job; whether you choose B. Nelson or another high-end cobbler is up to you, but I would strongly advise against proceeding yourself.
Thanks. Nick said he could do it for $70 and it would look good in the end. I'll probably take him up on it. Appreciate all of the feedback.

tampatravel

Reaction score
Halp please. My old casual wingtips just died on me - a good looking yet low quality pair of Steve Maddens. The whole sole on the right shoe just split apart. I like the looks of a lot of AE shoes, but really need a pair that will be casual enough to wear with chinos and classic enough not to go out of style in a year or two. Was thinking of the flat iron Oxford in bourbon. But I'm clueless. Any suggestions? Again, it's an everyday shoe to wear with chinos (and a polo usually) to work.

The ShoeBank had the Ralph Lauren Sanderson's (made by AE) for $159 not too long ago. Those are normally $525 from RL.

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4325812

This is just an idea if you're looking for a wingtip. For the most part, most AE shoes won't go out of style - ever.

beyond

Reaction score
Agreed. I would call the rep you worked with on your MTO and send them the pics. This is totally unacceptable. I hear they are out of Walnut Shell, so I would ask for a discount on these to pricing for a second quality. It would bug me every time I looked down at them seeing the medallion is not symmetrical. It would bug me even more knowing these are probably $700 boots.

I talked to the AE rep and she is having me send it back so they can look at it and decide on what to do next. Hoping for some good news and some magical reappearance of walnut shell if they cannot fix the problems.

And you're right, the price came out to be about $725.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of Tan Cronmoks.

What would be the best way to add some color to them, mink oil or neutral wax? I have seen images like the ones below (yes I know they are not the same shoes, but are the same leathers and color) and both members used different techniques. I guess I am trying to find out which is the best option?

LL

LL

Thanks guys

OptoDoc

Reaction score
That's surprisingly common for right handed people. You will have to relearn to tie your shoes and undo decades of habit to get rid of it.
you've probably been tying your shoes wrong your whole life. Hope this helps.

Well kiss my grits...

I have a doctorate and just realized I don't even know how to tie my shoes.

Thanks, to these and all who commented with advice.
cheers.gif

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Because, when the sale is good, Amazon tends to sell out of most sizes within a day or two, which also coincides with when you realize you received a defective pair. I supposed you could always order multiple pairs in the first instance, in case one arrives defective, but that seems like too much hassle.

This is what I've always done. I bought my black Vernons from them and purchased 4 pair at once. Of course, I have AmazonPrime with 2 day shipping, so the other pairs were refunded before my credit card bill was due.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of Tan Cronmoks.

What would be the best way to add some color to them, mink oil or neutral wax? I have seen images like the ones below (yes I know they are not the same shoes, but are the same leathers and color) and both members used different techniques. I guess I am trying to find out which is the best option?

Thanks guys

Wax polish should not really change the color of shoes.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Hey Temujin,

I can't recommend a particular AE last that would necessarily be better, although I'm sure someone here has that knowledge. I have a relatively high instep as well, but my foot is a bit wide too (I though the two usually went hand in hand) so I go with an E width. Either way, I think a 10E and 10.5 D are the same width. The 10.5D will also just give you length you don't need.

I think the best thing to do would be to focus on bluchers wherever possible rather than balmorals.
thanks for the advice... much appreciated... and kudos to you for learning up on your world history!

David Copeland

Reaction score
This is what I've always done. I bought my black Vernons from them and purchased 4 pair at once. Of course, I have AmazonPrime with 2 day shipping, so the other pairs were refunded before my credit card bill was due.
Another good reason to have Amazon Prime!

One of the benefits I like about Prime is the free movie and tv channel available through the internet, including a tube TV that has a Roku Device to shoe the commercial free selections.

That, plus Hulu Plus and Netflix Web was enough for my wife to cancel DirectTV and avoid cable - all for an average monthly cost of 22.50 for all three.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I recently got rid of my Cable television as well, David. Roku and Netflix for me with an antenna for local news. The freedom of not feeling obligated to spend hours watching my backloaded DVR has been quite welcomed. I've recently begun a quest to start reading more than just on my breakfast and lunch breaks. Currently, East of Eden. Steinbeck...what an author.

David Copeland

Reaction score
shameless repost here fellas... your advice would be appreciated

I have a high instep and am wondering which last is best for that. What should I do as far as sizing goes? I measure out at 10 D, the AE guy said I should go to 10 E because of my high instep. Does that sound right? would going to a 10.5 D be a better option?

Also... I have hammer toes and am wondering if any AE users in the forum have dealt with that problem.

You need to visit a Manager at either an AE Store of a Nordstrom Department Store and have them professionally fit you for your AE size and last, based on the styles you have in mind.

If you get a Christmas List together for all of the styles you have an interest in, most store managers will bring in samples for you to try on after they have professionally fitted you.

Nordstroms is the only store which guarantees after they fit you that the shoe size and last will prevail comfortably after 6 months of wear - with a refund or exchange.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads