Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I picked up the Long Branch today at the NC outlet. The rough grey leather can hide a lot, but even as a second the toe area was perfect, which I couldn't say about two pairs of Dalton firsts I had. I would have preferred the deal on two last week, but I'm glad I tried in person as I actually had to go up a half size on the Long Branch.

I was secretly hoping to find a pair of shell Strands, but they mostly only had the Park Avenue. The brown shell looked great on it, but my wallet remained safe.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

You didnt think twice about stretching out your shoes that way? How long did you leave the L shoe trees in your shoe for, or do you continuously use them?

3. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

By "rough", do you mean little gritty bumps that look almost white in color? I use Renovateur and it cleans this up pretty easily. Some say buffing and brushing is all that is needed but have a hard time getting rid of these without Reno, especially on a new pair of shell where this comes out heavily for the first several wears. Same has happened with my Townley's but much less now as I have worn them quite a bit. Now a buff with a damp cloth followed by some brushing works pretty well, and I don't need to pull out the Reno as often.

4. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Member

Don't think I'll be able to do what you did. Not that it really matters though. I can't imagine anyone is going to be looking that closely at the shoes anyway lol. The little teeth on the left side of the shoe are actually creased up. Not quite sure how or if I can fix that on my own.

I'm probably making a big deal about it for no apparent reason. I noticed that the heels are actually two different sizes (not height wise), one is actually shorter than the other. Not that anyone would notice unless you looked.

I figure I'm going to put my share of marks and stuff on them anyway so I may as well suck it up.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I would usually pass on the more casual PA make-ups (grain, grey, etc.), but for $125 I'd work those into rotation immediately.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I've been pretty lucky with AE seconds and those wouldn't bother me at all. They are, after all, seconds. And the 2/250 is a pretty amazing deal

7. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Check the so-called "Mac method" on the SF Alden thread for shell cordovan, or just do a web search. It's pretty contains everything one would need to know about taking care of cordovan shoes.

8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

AE recommends leather lotion for their rough collection. I used it for both McTavish and Aberdeen and it works really well.

9. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

I have a high instep and am wondering which last is best for that. What should I do as far as sizing goes? I measure out at 10 D, the AE guy said I should go to 10 E because of my high instep. Does that sound right? would going to a 10.5 D be a better option?

Also... I have hammer toes and am wondering if any AE users in the forum have dealt with that problem.

10. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I did think twice. Honestly, the pain was great enough that I would have stopped wearing them, so if I broke the shoes as a result, it would have been worth the try. I continuously use them now and while still slightly snug, I have two pairs of shell Patriots that I can now comfortably wear.

11. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I have the calf Dalton in 9D and a shell PTB Alden in Aberdeen last in 9D. The Dalton is tight on the tips of my toes, but I get by. The Alden fits very well and has plenty of room in the toes.

12. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Deburn, congrats on your new acquisition and welcome to the shell fan club!

As previously mentioned, the Mac method is definitely the recommended approach for break-in and general maintainence here. The break-in is pretty simple, just wear on carpet a few times for an hour to ensure proper fit (and I think it does help with forming good creases). Then start on the Mac method for polishing, which is to buff shoes with a slightly weat cotton cloth, brush vigorously with a horse hair brush, and then buff with a dry cotton cloth. Occasionally (once every 25 wears or so) use your cordovan care product of choice to maintain. The goal is to minimize the use of products.

I personally believe shell to be ever-so-slightly dressier than calf based upon the fact that it tends to be glossier and doesn't get the "micro"-creases that calf gets. Just my opinion though, kind of following the patent leather idea...

Best of luck and enjoy!

-Mike

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. deburn

deburn Senior member

haha, thanks! I mentioned in the Alden thread that I went there and they didn't have any shell in my size. I already had the Dundee and Leeds on hold and called J'ville right after getting out of ShoeMart to confirm them

14. deburn

deburn Senior member

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the feedback on the dressiness of calf vs cordovan. I am familiar with the Mac method for polishing shell (hard not to be if you spend anytime reading about shoes :nodding:) but just to be clear, you're also suggesting I use it before I wear my shoes?

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.