Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

fair enough, I noticed the loose threads on the first photo, and had to go back and look a bit harder at the third photo. My main point is that if you look hard enough, you will always find imperfections.

2. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Looks fine to me for a mass produced shoe. This is Allen Edmonds we're talking about here, not Edward Green. If you want a perfect shoe, you're gonna need to double or triple your budget.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

3. delmar

delmar Senior member

The best way to fix that problem is to make the initial crossing of the laces the opposite way you're doing it now--left over right if you are accustomed to doing it right over left, or vice versa. Then make your loops and tighten in your normal way. It's the easiest fix.

4. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

That's why I'm annoyed rather than pissed off, that and its no longer on sale so will cost more anywhere I go.

5. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

Thanks...food for thought. I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll try it.

6. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Unacceptable. This would not even be a question for me. It's more appalling to me that they passed QC, and were mailed to you at all. If that's not a 2nd or a 3rd, I don't know what is.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is why I never buy AE from Amazon if I can get the shoes for the same price somewhere else.

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hey deburns, I thought you got them from Shoe Mart! Congrats, that's a lot of shell! I'll pass along what experts told me: follow the Mac method for both break in and maintenance.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

9. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

They look pretty good to me... I can kind of see what you mean by the stitching in the 3rd pic, but can you honestly see that from eye level? I don't think anyone would fault you for returning them if you're not happy... but I would imagine that these 'defects' would be hard to notice from 3 feet away, let alone 6 feet. To each their own.

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Agreed. I would call the rep you worked with on your MTO and send them the pics. This is totally unacceptable. I hear they are out of Walnut Shell, so I would ask for a discount on these to pricing for a second quality. It would bug me every time I looked down at them seeing the medallion is not symmetrical. It would bug me even more knowing these are probably $700 boots.

11. Rmeister

Rmeister Member

My new (used) The Jeffersons that I picked up from ebay for $180 including shipping! The auction said they were preowned but I highly doubt they were used, the soles have absolutely no scratches on them, not even any dirt! Either that or they did an amazing job at cleaning them. The leather feels way better than the leather on my black McAllisters or my walnut Strands. Sooooooooo happy right now!! [​IMG] 6 Allen Edmonds pairs and counting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

My Strands came with something similar to this, where the stitching was just a bit too close to the edge. It didn't look very good and was right on the toe, and a few of the little triangle pieces of leather appeared to be cut off. Turned out that they were tucked under the stitching, but not actually in the stitching, and I was able to carefully pull them out and set them free. This looked a lot better and now the entire row of leather triangles were nice and straight. I couldn't tell from your pics if you are able to do the same, but it may be worth a try.

I won't offer any advise on what you should do, as I can see both keeping and returning as reasonable actions. I will say that I had forgotten all about my Strand "issue" until I read your post. I actually went and looked at them and sure enough, the stitching on the cap is off. But I have worn these many, many times and really didn't notice, nor has anyone else ever noticed. And the little triangle pieces of leather that I wanted to lay nice and flat when I first got them are now all over the place. Some are sticking up, some are frayed, and some of them are still laying flat.

13. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Quick question fellas...

I have a pair of Townley's in Shell. They are quite rough in the area where my foot bends. Do you guys have any ideas on how to get these looking better. I'd post a pic but it doesn't show up well via pics.

14. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

My shell Patriots fit really (too) snug when I first got them, and subsequently thereafter. What has worked for me is using some Nordstrom Rack shoe trees a size too big (I wear a size 9D and use a "L" shoe tree). This has worked really well for me and I can much more comfortably wear my Patriots.

15. njruss

njruss Senior member

[​IMG]

My walnut PA's arrived today. I actually bought them to get the 2/250 deal along with the Elgins that I really wanted and then planned to sell these. Of course, my wife actually likes the PAs and thinks that I should keep them. Who woulda thought? ANyway, the 2 defects that I see are a black spot on the back seam of one shoe and the abrasion on the sole of the other (In the pic, it looks like a reflection but is actually more of a scrape - could edge dressing fix that? The light on the leather is actually just a reflection from the camera)
    [​IMG]

. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.