Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You can send them back to AE, but it would be quicker to just take them to a shoe repair store and they can probably fix you up with no fuss.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

I own a pair of Aberdeen longwings and a pair of Pierpont saddle shoes that both use the same smokey grey leather. They take polish just fine -- I've used neutral on both pairs -- so it's not necessary to avoid polish entirely. Applying a darker polish certainly shouldn't "destroy" them, at least in terms of compromising the leather itself.

Having a cobbler dye them would probably be your safest bet, but if you're going to try to darken them yourself you should initially focus on using cream rather than paste, due to the dye concentration. If you use multiple thin layers of cream and let it sink fully into the leather between applications, you'll probably get the most significant effect. You might end up with a deep charcoal rather than black, though, and there's no easy way to tell how much the shade might vary over the shoes.

Personally, I am quite happy with the appearance of both of my pairs. When I applied an initial coat of conditioner, the color variations already present upon arrival were amplified, resulting in a burnished appearance with a darker toe-box, etc. Applying neutral polish over top of that seems to have "locked in" their appearance fairly well, which hasn't changed too much since.

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West

5. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few pictures of what I consider to be defects in my new AE's. I could see them going as seconds.. but not as perfectly new firsts.

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have purchased grey cloud Park ave from 2 for $250 sale. I haven't received my pair. Do you think I will be bale to polish it navy ?

7. David Copeland

Most often Amazon will not pay for the return postage of AE Shoes. That is why I either try to buy from www.6pm.com or www.zappos.com or AE or call a manager at a Nordstroms Store - all of which will pay for return postage!

David
    [​IMG]
    "Working from home today on my laptop"

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

these are fine.

9. David Copeland

That is a beautiful color. I would try and preserve that look by exploring all of the options from professionals.

10. David Copeland

Fine leathers in our dress are very much like fine woods in our home. Like leather, the look of wood does not need to be an exact match in order for it to present an overwhelming feel of quality workmanship.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

They can't provide you a replacement due to it's been sold out during a sale, and they won't exchange with a different colour and style because it's not a like for like exchange and won't work on the stock system, so they will give you a full refund and you can buy another from anywhere including amazon again.

Why are you annoyed at amazon and what are you expecting?

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, then you probably never find a pair of AE that you would classify as perfectly new firsts.

13. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Member

I highly doubt that's true. Honestly, my biggest issue is with the stitching in the toe area. It looks sloppy.

14. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

I think they're fine too.

I've noticed a lot of people are trying to look for perfection in their AE shoes. If that's the case, it might be time to move up (or even down) in the shoe price range.

I understand returning a pair for obvious defects, but not for tiny inconsistencies that no one else would ever see or notice.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not that attentive to my shoes. . . And I'm the happier for it.

15. deburn

deburn Senior member

I purchased my first shell shoes today - I got a bit carried away and ordered 3 pairs, all seconds!! A black PA, brown Dundees and burgundy Leeds! I wear an 8.5D in my AE Weymouth and Dryden as well as C&J, so that's the size I ordered. Hopefully they'll all fit well, but if they don't that's fine too.

Couple of questions specific to shell cordovan:

- is there a recommended procedure prior to wearing new shell shoes, like there is with calf?

- how does the PA look in black shell cordovan compared to a black PA in calf? Is it going to look less dressy because it's made of shell?

BTW, the J'ville store was offering shell for 20% off their regular price of $449.00 ie $359.00. This is something they offered themselves, without me asking for it, so I'm guessing it's not related to the Tanger coupon mentioned earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.