• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I found the Elgins to fit similar to the McTavish, that is, bigger than other calf 5-lasted shoes. I sized down half a size.

ZACKMORRIS

Reaction score
Just received my order from Amazon for Walnut McAllisters.. and it looks like they're going back. I'll post pictures of them later when I get home from work but basically:

1. There's an area on the right shoe, at the toe box that was sewed very poorly and is not straight whatsoever.
2. Another sewing issue near the right heel on the inside of the shoe.
2. On both shoes there are areas where the brogue/perforated area is actually bent up and creased.

Not sure if anyone else has run into these issues before, at least when ordering them from a retailer other than AE. I'd expect things wrong with them if they were Seconds.. but they're not.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a theory based on the fact Amazon will only do returns (no exchanges) and Amazon sales are typically over by the time you return your shoes, so there is no buying another pair. My theory is that the same defective shoes are sitting in Amazon's warehouse and keep get shipped during these sales in the hope that someone will keep and not return them.

Last edited:

plainnerd

Reaction score
Amazon sent me defective shoes as well, and would only give me a refund, no replacement, no exchange for a different size or color, nothing. I'm rather annoyed with them.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Amazon sent me defective shoes as well, and would only give me a refund, no replacement, no exchange for a different size or color, nothing. I'm rather annoyed with them.

Why not buy the same pair, switch them with the original pair, and return those as being the second pair.

This way you hopefully get a better pair and you don't pay the full price.

plainnerd

Reaction score
Because they don't have the size in stock and I don't feel like doing that to a different store.

ZACKMORRIS

Reaction score
I believe I snagged the last pair of 10D McAllisters when they were on sale and they certainly don't have any listed now through Amazon other than other retailers using their service... so yeah. I may be forced to just get a refund. Quite disappointing to be honest, I was looking forward to owning a nice pair of shoes.

As far as I could tell, my shoes were brand new. The paper was still in each shoe and the laces threaded as they would be for a new pair. One shoe was in a shoe bag and the other was not, though I think this is how they usually come anyway.

AT83

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Navy Neumoks from Amazon when they had the Nordstrom sale price and then used the email coupon for an extra 20% 135 total. I was relieved when they came in perfect shape with factory lacing, paper in the shoes and one shoe in a shoe bag. I haven't worn them yet but I am not anticipating any issues. Thanks to BCer for answering my Neumok vs Spiaggia question about a month ago. I hesitated in store at Nordstrom and just went with the Walnut Strands (which turned out to be kinda funny and will get exchanged as soon as the Assistant Manager gets a couple more in my size into stock) but the extra 20% pushed me to take a chance on the blue shoes.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would happen if I tried to polish these black?

I always wondered what kind of care/polish regimen I should be using on these. not that they really need any. I dig 'em rough-looking...

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
I always wondered what kind of care/polish regimen I should be using on these. not that they really need any. I dig 'em rough-looking...
I think just the conditioner/cleaner is fine for these. I just don't really have a need to wear grey shoes at this point. Every time I wear them, my daughter makes fun of me. LOL I was thinking of experimenting with a heavy dose of black polish on them to see what happens. Do you think I can make a pair of black shoes from them or would I just destroy them?

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I think just the conditioner/cleaner is fine for these.  I just don't really have a need to wear grey shoes at this point.  Every time I wear them, my daughter makes fun of me.  LOL  I was thinking of experimenting with a heavy dose of black polish on them to see what happens.  Do you think I can make a pair of black shoes from them or would I just destroy them? 

If black is what you want, send them to B Nelson and have then dye them for you. Polish will work for a while but will be inconsistent.

rc121

Reaction score
I personally think it would destroy them. I'm not really sure that they can take polish like a normal calf shoe

edit:I agree with jermyn on dying them, it would probably look a lot better than polishing

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not buy the same pair, switch them with the original pair, and return those as being the second pair.

This way you hopefully get a better pair and you don't pay the full price.
Because, when the sale is good, Amazon tends to sell out of most sizes within a day or two, which also coincides with when you realize you received a defective pair. I supposed you could always order multiple pairs in the first instance, in case one arrives defective, but that seems like too much hassle.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think just the conditioner/cleaner is fine for these.  I just don't really have a need to wear grey shoes at this point.  Every time I wear them, my daughter makes fun of me.  LOL  I was thinking of experimenting with a heavy dose of black polish on them to see what happens.  Do you think I can make a pair of black shoes from them or would I just destroy them? 

I think you'd kill them.

I wear mine regularly with jeans and street wear. In fact, it's my go-to with-denim shoe when I'm at divier music clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads