• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have four pairs of Daltons, two of them shell. I find the fit difference between the calf and the shell versions to be nil. One of the shell Daltons is unlined (walnut) and other than the obvious differences in feel between lined/unlined, still no significant difference for me in fit.

I can't speak to how it compares to the Leeds or other 1-511 last shoes as I own none. But I do own Modified last, Barrie last and Leydon last Alden boots. I'm an 8D in the Daltons, 7.5D in the Modifed and Barrie lasts, and 8E in the Leydon, although I only have the unlined chukka in the Leydon so don't feel really qualified to compare it to the Leydon.

Others seem to be able to describe differences in last fit much better than I think I can feel from wearing them. Having said that, I do feel that all the above sizes in the various lasts do fit me very well. From solely a fit perspective, my favorite is the Modified, followed by the AE 1-511 last.

Good luck! What color shell are you considering?
This helps a great deal. Much thanks my friend! I'm considering the walnut shell.

arkane

Reaction score

I love my walnut McAllisters but there's been a crease developing in the toe region (right shoe only) that's been bothering me.. The shoes fit perfect and I also have McAllisters in merlot that have seen as much wear as the walnuts but do not exhibit creasing in the toe region. I believe I got these from Amazon last year. Would this be considered a defect?

Here is a pic of the merlot McAllisters.

Funny because I have the same two shoes, same colors, and for me they are both the same size and have the same issue as you. Except for me the toe crease is on my merlot pair and the walnut are fine. The only difference in the shoes for me is that the merlot have the combo sole and the walnut are just leather soled. I asked a rep at an AE store and he just gave the expected, "they are hand-made and no two are the same and sometimes that happens" response. I don't love that it's doing that but I've just accepted it at this point.

Thanks for the reply and making me feel better that it's not my feet that are jacked up. Both my McAllisters have the standard leather souls. I don't mind creases in the vamp at all and I always use shoe trees but it's weird how this small crease is forming. Shoes trees don't extend all the way into the toe box so they don't help w/ this particular crease. Everything else about the construction of the shoes is otherwise exceptional... I suppose I can live with it and see it as a bit of character.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here they are.. Walnut Boca Raton, Chocolate Larchmont, Tan Elgin, Walnut Strand (firsts), Burgundy Shell Patriot, Black Shell MacNeil

Last edited:

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTP, I think you would be quite pleased with the boot. They need a touch more work to bring out the true shine but the construction is on par. I find the Dalton to run a touch narrow. I am an 8D in Barrie, 8.5D in the Leeds (also 1-511 last) and an 8E in the Dalton. I am right on the cusp of 8D or 7.5E in the Barrie. Your sizing will depend on if your Barrie size fits you better in length or width. Post some pics when you get them!
This is very reassuring. It sounds like we are very similar in that I am 9.5E-10D in barrie and will go with 10E in Dalton. Thanks very much my friend!

easy_golfing

Reaction score
My patriots have a bit of heel slip. Will they break in?

Are you sure you purchased the right size?  I ask because several posters (including myself) get heel slip in most loafers but not in our Patriots.  The Patriot is made for a low instep and comes with a sole that seems more pliable than most AE's right out of the box, so I would question size if you are getting significant heel slip.

Well I do have flat feet, wear insoles and have pretty skinny ankles. I'm guessing they won't break in as I would like?

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for reading and for your opinion! I attempt to return the favor whenever possible.
I was going to say the Sanderson because I am a big LWB fan and prefer the double leather sole, but after seeing this second pic I'd say go with the McAllister. Good luck...

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Here they are.. Walnut Boca Raton, Chocolate Larchmont, Tan Elgin, Walnut Strand (firsts), Burgundy Shell Patriot, Black Shell MacNeil

Great haul. I really wanted a pair of Chocolate larchmonts but they were sold out when I tried.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The photos on the AE website are horrible. ALL of them without exception, the shoes always look better in real life.

Woah, new McTavish leather option available. Dark Brown Crackle leather -- I like the rough collection stuff but this may be a bit too "rough" for me.

Hopefully they look better in real life, but from the picture they look like someone set them on fire.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I do have flat feet, wear insoles and have pretty skinny ankles. I'm guessing they won't break in as I would like?

I had virtually no break- in for mine, so I would not anticipate much change from how they currently fit and/or slip in the heel.

Kroaker

Reaction score
Quick question for everyone. I bought a pair of Strands from Amazon the other day and just received them and realized that the soles are different. The left sole is significantly darker and the edges are very rough, plus the heel is different. I also noticed one shoe doesn't have the little black Allen Edmonds logo on the inside of the ankle. Any idea what's going on?

If I got those, they would be sent back faster than it took you to post that pic. That is terrible.

plainnerd

Reaction score
They're going back in the morning, I was just curious what was the deal with them.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
I mean there is nothing wrong here; these will be seeing pavement far sooner than you'll remember that they started out as separate colors. It's your money and you should do what you want, but I personally wouldn't hassle with it.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Gridiron Derby Shoes from AE. Methinks they're very handsome. Here are some admittedly crappy real life pics from my cell phone:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads