1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKJ1

MKJ1 Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just received my MTO Delrays, but noticed the lace holes did not line up. Is this normal? Would this be an issue for you guys?

I only changed the soles to double JR, and requested them rounded like the Shelton

2. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I sent a MTO back that had the same issue. They should line up properly.

3. Magician Shaun

Magician Shaun Well-Known Member

I am about to buy my first pair of AEs. I am starting with a pair of black park aves. Should I go to the AE store and buy them at full retail (I try to never do full retail) or buy a pair at Nordstrom Rack? I understand the rack AEs are seconds and not warrantied by AE.

I have an AE near me in Atlanta so I can go and get the whole fitting experience. Are there any deals to get a discount at AE? Is there an AE rep that posts in this thread that can help a get into his first pair of AEs?

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Alden 404's (Indy boots in Kudu) FTW!!! You have no idea how much they rock!

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I also had an mto with similar issues. Allison offered several options to remedy the situation. I elected to keep them at the seconds rate and have the balance refunded to me. AE CS rocks.

6. green garden

green garden Senior member

7. njruss

njruss Senior member

What is the preferred care regimen for McTavish, Elgin, etc?

8. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

Here is my eagle county MTO:

DARK CHOCOLATE CALF 1087
    INDPENDENCE LINING LEATHER
    PORON INSOLE
    TONE ON TONE STITCHING
    FLAT CHILI WELT
    WHEELED EDGES
    LIGHT BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
    MINI LUG RUBBER TAP SOLE

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks. Id love to see those MTOs in the wild.

10. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Thoughts on MTO Shelton burgundy shell with scotch grain walnut saddle MTO on single butyl sole....

11. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Senior member

Mark: I just got them today. If I wear them tomorrow I'll take a photo "in the wild", but I'll say they're definitely navy and not just "blue". They're definitely dark!

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

COST: I wouldn't buy them at full retail if there are other alternatives. Christmas is around the corner so there maybe a sale coming up. Also, Nordstrom half year sale is the day after Christmas, PAs maybe included in the sale. AE stores will also match Nordstrom prices. If you decide to buy seconds, you can call the outlet stores to see if they have them in your size.

FIT: If you have an AE store, I would go in and get fitted as the store will have other widths that you can try on. It's crucial to have the correct size if these are you first pair. Once you know your size, it's ok to get the shoes from other sources online.

I got a pair of black PAs as my first pair of AE shoes but they are the least worn shoes in my rotation. If I can go back, I'd probably go with the brown PAs instead. If you are not wearing black suits everyday, you'll find black shoes are not as versatile as other colors.

13. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

This sounds good. Has an informal vibe. Why not double sole?

14. AndrewN

AndrewN Active Member

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever gotten blisters from new shoes? My SA measured me as an 8.5D on the brannock and recommended the Macneil in that size. They were comfortable on carpet, but rubbed my pinky toes raw the first day I wore them out. I talked to my SA about it and they said that the leather just needs to "break in". What do you guys think? Thank you, I'd appreciate any feedback!

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Your SA could be right. I wear my new shoes around the house for three nights. That gets the sole broken in quite well. Search for the Mac method for break i procedures.

16. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

My Macneils pinched the side of my pinky toes too when they were new. Once the cork settles in I think it should be better for you. I no longer have an issue with those shoes.

17. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

I agree with these points, but I personally believe that a Black Cap Toe should be in the closet of any man who wears a suit on any sort of basis.

I agree that if an AE store is convenient enough for you to access, then you should definitely try them on to ensure proper fit. Fit is a many dimension problem, both length and width, but also height, toe box shape, and arch support. You can often get a good fit, but why have a good fit when there is a perfect or best fit available?

Finally, if you aren't in a crazy rush, you could also wait for either AE or Nordstrom to have a sale. The Black Calf Park Avenue is frequently (to almost always) included in their sales. BTW, I do not see AE preventing you from doing a re-sole because you got your shoe at the Rack. So you will get some support from them, they will also probably still cover you if somehow there is something structurally wrong with the shoe, which is rare but does come up occasionally.

-Mike

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I'm liking this euro straight bar lacing. I like that it is easier to tighten than the more clean looking straight bar. I like my Cambridge, but I just wish the color would even out. I don't want to put polish on my beloved shell, but I may have to. The pics do really exaggerate it though.

[​IMG]

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I enjoy AE shells very much, however in terms of color 8 Alden is tough to beat.

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I use that lacing method quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.