Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Very different, is the image an accurate representation of its color? I really like the darker version in that Strand. Very sharp. I received an AE Sale email this week about the factory 2nds sale and they had a picture of the Kenilworth in brown, black and walnut. If I could get a walnut pair that looked like your strands, I'd be all over it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

2. rikod

rikod Senior member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

The Allen Edmonds 2012 catalog is on their website. Broadstreets anybody?

Chris

4. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Not a fan of the Broadstreet. I prefer the Strawfut. They used to make the Bel Air in a walnut/white spectator version, which also looked better than those too.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I was expecting something new for the Cordovan shoes, but didn't see anything. However, the Rutledge model is really nice looking. This shoe appears to be the only American made adelaide style balmoral for sale today. I'll give it a good looking over. The Larchmont (longwing) looks interesting too; probably a cheaper alternative to the very similar looking Williams.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I use Obenauf's HDLP on my boots that I wear hunting and hiking, 4 pairs plus a pair of Irish Setter shoes. And a pair of AE Yuma made of bison, at least will when they get back from being dyed correctly by the cobbler. Venetian does not waterproof and only conditions the leather. It is the recommended treatment for the Bayfield cxl leather from what I've read. My boots and shoes that I use Obenauf's on are totally waterproof after being treated. I have my Bayfields on right now, have thought several times about treating them with HDLP however I wear mine for business casual so have decided against it. HDLP will darken almost all leather that I have put it on so far. It does condition and waterproof very well IME. Make sure you clean them well before treating I use saddle soap on my boots first then let dry thoroughly. Then use a hair dryer on low constantly moving it to help melt it in. Thin coats are best and after treating you can brush it out some. If you put it on too thick it will collect dust and dirt on the surface.

7. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Strawfut is amazing. If you want contract, the brown/linen is great without having to do white leather, which I tend to think looks cheesy unless you are of an age where you remember the great depression.

8. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

New to the forums, everybody, and I have a random question. I have the Malvern boots in 10D and they fit nicely. I'm looking to get MacNeils in the same size. Does the 7 last have less toe space than they 1 last? Are there any other differences I should be aware of (ie. wider waist, etc...)? The description on the AE website does nothing to help me.

Thanks in advance.

9. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

Fuuuuuuuu....

I've fallen absolutely in love with the brown distressed MacNeils...anyone know a comparable shoe I can buy for under 200? (not needed to be AE)

[​IMG]

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I've found the Malvern to be slightly narrower than the MacNeil across the forefoot.

I wear an 11D in the Malvern, 10.5E in the Leeds and Dalton (same lasts as the MacNeil).

11. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Thanks for the response. I wear 9.5E in the Strand, so maybe I'll go with that size.

12. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Agree. I have the brown mesh version, and it's the most comfortable shoe I own. I actually prefer the linen version, but I found that the all brown model satisfied by desire for a spectator while being restrained enough to wear to work regularly.

13. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Where? I don't see it on the website.

14. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

15. rikod

rikod Senior member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.