Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj360

jj360 Member

Thanks David one more question on the first day of the sale I bought the Park Ave and they didn't "professionaly" fit me. I just told him Im a size 8 and that was it. Now this is my first pair of expensive dress shoes usually wear cheap $40 dress shoes. He asked me how they felt I said good walked around in them blah blah. Do they measure my foot length and width?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

2. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    A 30 day price match is a general rule. Contact them and them for the price match, and the difference to be refunded to your credit card. I have had success with 30 day price matches and refunds for many years.

All my best,

David

3. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

wearing my new Strand's today...
    I still can't tell if they are too tight....

[​IMG]

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Anyone out there have the Broadstreet in Black/Burgundy?

A pic would be amazing to see.

5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

mmmm, it certainly looks as though you are filling them out. Although there does seem to be a decent gap, that's your instep and not always an indication that you should change sizes.

The basic question is, why do you feel they may be too tight? Are you feeling pressure? Where? How many times have you worn them?

6. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

if i make them any tighter i feel the pressure around the top of my foot where the laces are. the only other place i feel pressure is against my right pinky toe. this is only my 2nd time wearing them. give it more time? do the laces look ok, too loose?

7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hey David,
    These are indeed my first cordovans. I just got these a day or so ago, so I haven't been able to put much time into them yet. I'm using the Mac Method, so I've only worn them once so far for about 2 hours on carpet.
    They are comfortable but at the same time the leather is definitely more stiff than calf or cowhide. Sorry I can't provide more info, but it's early still.

That said, I can see why people have warned that cordovan is addictive. Dangerous stuff, why brushing them up I couldn't help but think what I'll pick up next, cordovan Leeds or the Alden PTB . . .

8. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in, but I wouldn't worry too much about the lacing. Some people have higher insteps and will have a relatively significant gap even when wearing the proper size.

In my experience, with the pinky toe issue . . . it varies. If that's the only place, you could wear them a few more times and see how they feel when they break in. If you're close to an AE store, trying one width up (D -> E) isn't a bad idea.

Are you wearing them out or just around the house to break them in? Depending on where you bought them you'll have a difficult time returning them if you've worn them outdoors.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

He's asking about ligtening a pair of brown shoes by using a lighter polish. I have lightened a pair of dark brown AE's a smidge by using the saddle brown polish and was very happy with the results. I would caution, however, that I do not think you can lighten medium or dark brown with walnut polish. I suspect it is too much of a change and that you will get dark and light streaks on your shoes. Better off buying another pair of walnut shoes if you really like hte color.

10. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I'd try to get it from Nordstrom, I was able to get a price match for the walnut strands with the Amazon 20% off coupon and Amazon price. The package came last night and it was shipped directly from AE. I would imagine the SA from Nordstrom would be able to price match at the store. I would print out the Amazon check out screen with the discounted price and show it to the SA

11. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

For the seconds sale, what would you recommend? Brown neumoras or brown larchmonts? Same last but i feel neumoras look a tad bulky (though I do not have a monkstrap yet). As for larchmont's, I have several short wings but no long wing. What do you guys think?

12. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Nuemora, mid part may look a tad bulky but toe on that last is sleek. I love mine

13. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the sizing of the Gramercy - is it TTS? I know it's on the 7-97 and I have no experience with that last.

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I own the Brown Neumoras and I don't feel they are very bulky. In fact the last they are built on has more of an elongated toe than some others.

I would maybe recommend trying them on and see what you think. I feel that mine are very sleek because of the double monk closer and cap toe makes for a smooth sleek look.

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I own the Brown Neumoras and I don't feel they are very bulky. In fact the last they are built on has more of an elongated toe than some others.

I would maybe recommend trying them on and see what you think. I feel that mine are very sleek because of the double monk closer and cap toe makes for a smooth sleek look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.