1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piuyu

piuyu New Member

I wear my shoes, that's a good idea, since the black edging is going to look bad as I kick the shit out of them. He actually really likes that I buy quality shoes and then actually wear them as shoes.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. BARNFARM

BARNFARM Member

I suppose that's a bit more reassuring, then. There just weren't two creases on the top part of the original pair that met at one point and ran down the outer part of the shoe together. But if it doesn't look terribly unusual, then I guess there's nothing to worry about. I did get fitted at a factory store over the weekend to see what size Daltons I should wear, and the associate who helped me there suggested a 10.5E vs the 10E I have for my Park and Fifth Aves. They're made from the same last so maybe I panicked a bit and assumed the creasing was because of incorrect size. The two that I have are a bit snug, and I probably should've sized up. I didn't get very good help from the associate at the DC store when I bought my first pair :embar:.

3. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Could someone please PM me allison's email for MTO? I have searched, but only have turned up a few phone numbers.

Thanks in advance

4. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

Unboxed my Park Aves today from the Thanksgiving sale and overall am pleased with them. The only thing that I found is the extra thread on the back of the shoe. Should I just snip off the extra with scissors? Also would appreciate if anyone else can spot anything that I may have missed (I honestly don't see anything else wrong with them) as these are my first decent pair of shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

What size? ;)

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Sadly, the search here seems to be really nerfed. Here's an example Google search that answers your question. I'm sharing this instead of the answer so that others know how to better search this thread:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:styleforum.net+"allen+edmonds+appreciation+thread"+allison+email+allenedmonds.com

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yes, you should be able to just snip that thread. You could also consider melting the end with a flame, though you'd want to be quick and careful.

As for other problems, if you don't see 'em, they don't exist! But seriously, I didn't notice anything.

1 person likes this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

The long branch looks similar to your walnut shell daltons?
    Would you mind posting pictures?
    I own both, and I don't think they look at all alike. The leather is so different, and the soles are as well.

9. EEWithoutStyle

EEWithoutStyle Senior member

Thank you! Lacing them up as I type this, I'm so excited! Unfortunately an addiction is growing as I want bourbon Strands now as well :( I can't afford to be in this game lol.

10. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Dark Chocolate Daltons have arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

look great.

12. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I went with the same size I take on most AE lasts. This is my first pair of shoes on the 8-last, and my initial thought is that it seems to be similar to the 5-last, but perhaps slightly narrower. I'm not positive about it though, as I was wearing some medium thickness socks instead of thin dress socks today.

13. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Does someone have the link for that catalog of MTO options handy? Or remember which catalog it is on the issuu AE directory?

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

MacktasticGDogg

Those look amazing man. Are monk straps classic like lace ups?

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Not really. This is the best I could come up with, though I didn't get much feedback on what I was missing:

16. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

No, it is the Chili Welt with a light brown transparent edge.

-Mike

17. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

Here are some quick and dirties. Obviously the leather is different, the cordovan just has a richness to it that can't be matched. That and the sole are the two biggest differences. For whatever reason though, even though they are the same size -- 9EEE -- wearing the Longbranches for 15 minutes I can tell they are much more comfortable than the Daltons. The Daltons are stunning for sure, but my feet hurt at the end of the day after wearing them.

Note I added a topy to the Daltons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Well the Longbranch is probably more comfortable due to the Vibram sole.
    Mine are extremely comfortable.
    I don't think they are redundant, but whatever you decide, best of luck.
    Both are great shoes.

19. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

The Long Branch also has the Poron insole. There is something wrong with the fit of your walnut shell Daltons if your feet hurt at the end of the day. I don't think the Poron insole and Vibram sole on the Long Branches is the only difference. Something in the fit of the Daltons, even if they're the same size, is just not right.

20. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

There is a definitely a softness to the Longbranch in the footbed that the Dalton doesn't have. I didn't realize it had a poron insole. Perhaps that is the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.