Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MZWilson

MZWilson Member

Indeed. I ended up going for it. For those who are curious...

If you sign up for the shoe email from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=5637565011), you get a 20% off coupon good for any shoes sold through Amazon. That plus free shipping actually brought the boots to a hair under $208 for me.

2. teamnsk123

teamnsk123 Well-Known Member

Finally got my Strads from Nordy. 9E. PRAISE THE LORD THEY FEEL AMAZING!!!! [​IMG]

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Great collection! I too have had great experiences thus far with the shoe bank team. J

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

P

Pretty dismayed to see that for the most part Amazon has stopped carrying different widths. Some great sales over there, but not on anything I can wear.

:(

5. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

They also don't appear to ship to Canada... disappointing, as I was about to purchase Merlot Mcallisters for $229 - 20%.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've only been successful one out of three attempts. One of the two failures resulted in the AE SA telling me in a condescending tone that AE would only price match reputable retailers like Nordstrom and other department stores.

7. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:I did and mine feel the same

8. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I'm glad to hear the shoebank treated you well! You've got a nice rotation going. A word on shoe trees: there will be more shoes coming down the pipeline if you keep hanging out on this thread. When you get to Nordstrom, you might pick up a few extra pair of trees on sale (I grab half a dozen every mid-July when JAB sells them at buy-one-get-two-free).

9. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Which vendor did you purchase from? For 11B, the only vendor is Nordstrom, and they will not honor the coupon code that Amazon sends to you since you have to purchase the shoes from the Nordstrom website (linked through Amazon).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

just pulled trigger on a pair of Daltons.Price was $259 With 20% off code and $25.75 shipping to Australia $234 usd. Around $272 AUD. Pretty sad our aud was at 1.10 last year now down to 0.89 cents ); .
    Anyway I am a us 8EEE in Strands, Fifth AVE (a little tight in toe -should've got 8.5eee), Players 8eee. I have Fifth st boot in us 8.5D But better size would've been 8.5EEE. Ordered the Dalton in 9D . Amazon didn't have the width options. and 8.5 not available. But given Dalton is quite narrow and if I use some insoles and thick socks I think I will get away with them. Becos I can wear 8.5EEE in few lasts ...fingers crossed !

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  11. trig

trig Senior member

How much of a width difference is it from d to eee?

12. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Same question for you...how were you able to get the discount? Did you order from a vendor other than Nordstrom? Were you able to order through Amazon directly?

Thanks.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

If those are all you found, I think you have a great pair of boots. The piece on the welt looks like a pair of nail clippers or small scissors will make quick work of it. As another said above, that isn't a second's mark on the sole. It's hard to tell for sure, but it even looks like it may be in a spot that will wear off during regular wear anyway.

This is a factory seconds branding:

[​IMG]

It is a small shoe symbol made by a hot iron, and it is always placed directly in front of the heel, so it won't wear off.

I think the issue with some defects on AE shoes coming from Nordstrom has some merit, but I still think it is a matter of high demand causing a domino effect of rushing manufacturing to fill orders. I think it is a natural consequence and it happens any time you put stresses on increasing output on a product that has such a high level of human involvement in manufacturing. I don't think it has anything to do with Nordstrom. I think if AE suddenly ran a sale of the same magnitude and exposure level as Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale, you would see some similar results on shoes in AE stores.

Alden QC is always being complained about these days as well, and it is simply because demand is through the roof right now.

I also still think the perspective issue we discussed a few days ago is still pertinent here. I still maintain that you are comparing apples to oranges when you expect perfection from a shoe that isn't given the same time and attention as a "premium" shoe in the same construction category. You can't compare a shoe like an AE that has massive amounts of human involvement to a cheap factory shoe that is made by precise robotic arms that prevent any entry of error. You also can't compare them to a "premium" pair of Goodyear-welted shoes that literally take weeks to make because of the attention to detail given them.

Read this week's timely article from Justin Fitzpatrick over at The Shoe Snob: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013/07/managing-your-shoe-purchase-expectations.html

I think it will help.

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi I was lucky to get them from amazon direct. 20% off when you subscribe to amazon newsletter.

15. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

The discount can only be used for shoes shipping from Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.