Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Allen Edmonds' customer service is the BEST! Bar none!! Henceforth, except for running shoes, I will only be buying AE shoes -- and I am not exaggerating.

I recently got two pairs of AEs, and I had a problem with one of them. I properly documented and communicated this problem with AE customer service. After exchanging several emails and pictures of the shoe, and talking to one of the customer service agents, they finally sent me an email saying that they had some good news for me and that I should call them back. I called them first thing today and I was told that they have decided to just send me another pair (of any model at the same price point)! They also told me that I can just keep the defective pair (which is still definitely wearable) and, hopefully, have it repaired in the future. What makes this all the more special is that I have since left the US, so they'll be sending me the new pair abroad. Beat that, Zappos and Amazon!

I've heard of how wonderful AE's customer service is, and now I got to experience it firsthand. You just can't help but feel invested in a company that's willing to stand by their product and do right by their customers. Kudos, Mr. Grangaard and the AE CS team! I look forward to acquiring more AE pairs in the future!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. althanis

althanis Senior member

Just wanna chime in that I got a pair of brown Neumoks from the Nordstrom sale for $200 CAD all told, including $0 for shipping and $25 or so for duties/taxes.

Very happy with that!

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG]

4. Mark S

Mark S New Member

Hi Guys,

This is my first post here and I was really hoping for some advice. I am very new to the "high end" dress shoe world. I bought 2 pairs of Allen Edmond Strands online. The size is 10 D. I have been searching all morning and haven't been able to find an answer to my question. I measure exactly 10 D on a Brannock device. The shoes appear to be perfect length, toe box/ball area is super comfortable, very minimal heel slippage BUT the shoe feels too tight in the middle area, across the outside arch of my foot (inside is OK). Basically across the narrowest part of the sole, ahead of the heel, is where it feels tight on my foot. Now, I would think going up in width would be the answer, however I believe width is measured at the widest part of the shoe (ball area) which fits me perfectly as-is. Every question about width I can find seems to be regarding rubbing toes, but my issue is further back in the shoe, ahead of the heel but before the ball (essentially the part of the shoe below the laces, but on the lower outside edge of my foot).

I have only worn the shoes for a few hours, but I would like to know if that area of the shoe will stretch or not. Again, the rest of the shoe is perfect (length, toe box, etc.) which is where everyone else seems to be having issues. My only option is to buy online unless I want to pay $410/pair (I'm in Canada), so getting sized at an AE store isn't an option for me. These are "5" last shoes. I bought them from the Shoebank, so I can return them but at my cost of shipping.

Thanks in advance for any insight, I'm really torn. They definitely aren't broken in yet, but I am wondering if that area will stretch, or if moving from a 10D to 9.5 E would be better, even though the 10 D fits well everywhere else. I'm not sure I really want to go to a local Harry Rosen and waste a bunch of their time on sizes without any intention of ever buying from them, since I only buy online.

5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

N

Not sure. I got them off eBay. Had been worn twice, tops.

6. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

My seven pairs of Allen-Edmonds shoes, none of which have ever had any problems of any sort at all.....

[​IMG]

7. johng70

johng70 Senior member

Here's the thing - the brannock is only a guide. Everyone's feet are different. I measure a 9.5D - on the 5 last (Strands, McTavish are the 2 I own on that last) I found 9.5E was the best fit. Some people say you have to go down 1/2 size in length. The different lasts used by AE make it very difficult to order on-line -I've found that I really need to try a shoe on in-store to get an idea. It's also worth noting that the leather of different shoes on the same last can be different - for example, my McTavish shoes are looser than my Strands. But if the shoe is uncomfortable now, don't expect that to change much. Try an "E" - but only your foot will know if you need 9.5 or 10E.

8. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

They will probably stretch a little bit, yes. They will also become less rigid with more usage. Whether or not it will be enough to make your foot comfortable is impossible to tell.

9. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

What is the pair with the orange laces? Is it dark cognac McTavish?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  10. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

11. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

12. NeedAnM3

NeedAnM3 Member

When I bought my strands I measured E width when I tried them on there as just a tiny bit of pressure in the toes. The SA said I could go to a 3E, but I would be wider all the way back to the heel. Since my heel fit great an he pressure was minimal, I stuck with the E. That being said, I think what the SA said about the width answers your question... It should be wider at the back.

13. idex

idex New Member

FYI ... Amazon has the black park aves for ~223 or ~179 with 20% discount. Sizes are going out of stock fast.

14. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

On the $223 price they charge $75 in import fees to Canada. That's clearly wrong. Thanks though!

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Neumok question. I'm close to pulling the trigger, but.....

two questions:

1) re: unstructured upper. I have occasional Achilles tendon issues. is there any reinforced ankle support at all, or is it all just soft mushy leather?

2) sizing. I wear an 11 3E in McTavish and it fits great width wise, but I can not wear strands, mccallister, park ave at all in 11 3e or 11.5 3e becuase of great pain (bunions). is the neumok closer to a mctavish or the 5 last dress shoes?

thank ye!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.