Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

The gap on my new Strands and McAllisters is more prominent than on my broken in Park Avenues, so I'm assuming once you break the shoes it will close a little bit, especially when you break in the insole.

2. wurger

wurger Senior member

I can say no one can really tell by looking at photos, from my experience, a wider fitting doesn't help with the gap much. However, if the D fitting is just snug, as in any narrower while be uncomfortable, an E fitting won't be bad, any any reduction in that gap would be good.

I wear Loake UK F and G fittings, and F is just right, so I don't mind the extra room in G.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Poorly fitting shoes (shoes that need to be stretched) will often have prominent creasing patterns. I know from experience.

4. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Well the issue is that it's only my one toe that causes an issue, so I don't want to go to a bigger size because of one problem area. Does that make sense? The other shoe just has normal crease marks.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

+1

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Good work, enjoy your shoes. Most shoe trees are similar, provides they are cedar and right size, and they do look very similar to AE ones. Could be made from woodlore and rebranded.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

To be honest, those creases are not that bad.

8. wurger

wurger Senior member

WOW indeed with capitals.

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sigh.

Haven't we moved beyond this?

He can do as he pleases. And we certainly don't know what his wardrobe requirements are...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

He is right though, I shouldn't be buying either pair. Ever since I saw that black was the most formal color, I have stayed away from my black cap toes unless its a very formal occasion. The only reason I was asking is because ebay has a great deal on a pair of black sanfords in my size and was very tempted on buying them.
    thanks for all the help!

11. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Yea and that is with a flash on too. Without a direct beam of light they look good.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Sigh. MSulinski is asking a good question to avoid a wasted purchase due to the tendency of new posters to think they need to wear black shoes when other colors may be more appropriate. Maybe OP would regret the purchase of a black casual shoe in a few months. Maybe not. Either way, giving it a little thought before making the purchase is a good idea.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I understand completely. My left foot is slightly wider than my right foot. It's not noticeable in a pair of well fitted shoes, but very noticeable when I try to squeeze into something a little too narrow (ahem . . AE 8 last and C&J). The end result is a left shoe with triple creases or a wide crease and a right shoe with a normal crease. For what it's worth, I wear those two shoes less and less and have been drifting more to the brands and lasts that fit me better. I have also come to realize that shell is much more comfortable due to the way it moulds to my foot and does not put pressure on the wide part of my foot. You may want to hold off on your next purchase for awhile to see if your feelings about the 5 last and calfskin change with time.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I can't think of many wardrobe requirements that involve a black derby or a black Oxford that has heavy brogueing.

This struck me as a beginner question, so I figured there is a good chance the poster may not have considered that a black casual shoe doesn't make a lot of sense for most people. If he is from London and looking for variety in his black shoes, then my apologies.

15. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Well, I just got Strands and McAllisters of the same last. Because they are lighter, it will probably be less noticeable. The Park Avenues after break in for me are very comfortable though so I don't really mind. It's really not as prominent as it is in the picture due to flash. Sooner or later I would like to upgrade to shell for PA's but for now I'm content. I just wanted to make sure the Cobbler wasn't destroying the leather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.