Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I like the Rockefeller store on 6th ave.

2. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Brown Glasgow loafers
    Chili Regent Street
    Tan Suede Neumoks
    Blue Neumoks
    Brown/Brown Grain Hamptons
    Black Cole Haan Captoe
    Burgundy Patriots (likely being returned)

I think I need another captoe which is why I am leaning towards the strand; just worried bourbon may be too dark(like brown) and that is why I like the walnut.

Thoughts anyone?

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    None, unless they have the style you want along with several sizes.

I have seen more and more posts lately of folks buying styles and sizes unseen - without knowing what their professional fit is for a particular style - which spells out the "last" plus the length and width.

You might also call the Nordstrom's Department store across the river in NJ and speak personally only to the department manager. He will offer to bring in styles and sizes from other stores and AE so that you can try them on.

All my best,

David

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Rockefeller is much larger and has a great SA named Liz. I was just in the 44th street location and yes it is small, but the customer service is just as good.

5. David Copeland

Speak to a Manager at a full size AE store or at a Nordstrom Shoe Department Store and insist on a professional fit and sizing for the various styles and lasts that AE offers. Take in your Christmas list of potential future purchases too.

AE website has a printable shoe size chart, and the AE and Nordstrom Managers can speak with you on the phone to help determine the best size and last if you choose only to order by mail.

Also, both stores offer the free return shipping to experiment with sizing.

And, if a store does not have the style and size to try on - ask the Manager to bring it in for you in advance of your visit. If you cannot get a manager to do that - then private message me for a manager who will.

David

6. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm not to keen on the 44th street location is because I have a pretty small foot, and still not sure about my sizing, so I'd like to go to a store with more stock.

7. David Copeland

Like most folks visiting the shoe department, you got nabbed by a sales associate and not the manager. Had you called the store before visiting and spoke only to the manager, he/she would have said "If I don't have the size/style, then I will order them in from another store or AE so you can try them on."

That may have worked in the past, but the current sale of multiple styles, sizes, and colors is not fully available on their website. But a personal email or phone call to a department manager will assure you of a full selection of everything being promoted.

David

8. David Copeland

LOL.

By the way, I believe you mentioned a few months ago your desire to get together in Montana on a visit with me. Perhaps I can show you the golf course in Glacier National Park where Jimmy Hoffa is buried!

David
    [​IMG]

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Walnut (cordovan) Wednesday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. David Copeland

Absolutely! I even enjoy posting to my other alternative names, such as New Shoes1! But Spokane? Maybe once a year to try on different styles and fits . . . but once I know my size, little need to venture to the big city, except to pay my respects to those who are stuck there. :)

As for moving to Montana . . . right on. More cattle in this state than people, the the Big Western Sky this month does help with all of the disorders of life.

Your cousin,

David
    [​IMG]

11. David Copeland

Once again, you chose to work with a sales associate and not the department manager. If everything you reported is accurate, then the accuracy stops beneath the department manager.

Department Managers in multiple stores have personally stated they will refund or exchange any shoe they fit after six months of wear!

Department Managers will bring in other sizes, styles, and colors prior to your visit to make sure the fit is proper.

Department Managers may be busy at times, so make an appointment.

And yes, when I contacted the store a few months ago there was limited stock in styles and sizes and colors. But that was very quickly resolved when the manager offered to bring in other inventory for my approximate size.

I purchase from Nordstrom because of the policy of returns after a sizing. I purchase directly from AE as long as I know my size and when they price match or have sales. Both are good companies.

If you need a contact, let me know.

David

12. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Have you seen each in person? The reason I ask is because when I saw the walnut (both Strand and McAllister) I loved the color. When I was thinking about my next shoe I looked online and thought bourbon was the perfect in-between color but once I went to the store and saw it in person I really didn't like it at all. I ended up getting merlot.

13. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

No offense, but someone should just make a Nordstrom thread given how much it is talked about in an Allen Edmonds thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It sounds like we have reached an understanding then. Indeed, nobody ever said that there weren't some issues during last year's sale. I mentioned that previously as well. As kwhilelaw said, determining which flaws should cause a shoe to be classified as a factory second is subjective. I am not an AE employee, but I assume that it is safe to guess that they have certain printed criteria predefined that the shoes are subjected to in the QA/QC department. In addition to these, I am sure they leave a certain amount up to the discretionary trained eyes of the QA/QC employee. I am quite sure they also take different considerations in mind when the flaw may lead to failure of the shoe down the road, as opposed to something being strictly aesthetic. Since such a major component of making these shoes involves human hands, you can't expect perfection at the level of product output that AE maintains. They have to have allowances in what can be considered a first quality shoe that still isn't perfect. They may even tighten or loosen these criteria within certain limits depending upon existing demand, I really don't know. If they do, I don't personally have a problem with it, as long as they are flexible with the customer being the final judge (which they are).

Going ahead and labeling a shoe with minor flaws as a second may even lead to it selling quicker, since it will expose it to the customers to actually allow more flaws, whereas it may sit and collect dust in a first quality shop since the customers are naturally more scrutinizing there. On the flip side, I have seen shoes in first quality shops that should be seconds based on my subjective opinion of what is an acceptable flaw. For example, I can't stand it when the cap toe line is crooked on Park Avenues/Fifth Avenues. It's subjective, but I personally like them to be perfectly straight. All this to say, I think there is obvious flexibility in their criteria, as there should be.

The issue we were getting flared up about is simply the accusation that they were secretly selling seconds, by one of two methods:

1. They were sneaking shoes into Nordstrom that were clearly branded as seconds by the AE factory (with the symbol branded on the sole), and marking them at first quality prices hoping that customers wouldn't notice. They were either doing this with or without AE's knowledge (this should be impossible since AE doesn't sell new seconds to Nordstrom, according to the CEO).
    2. AE was intentionally sending shoes from the factory to Nordstrom where the QA/QC staff deliberately looked the other way, and allowed them to be considered firsts when they shouldn't have been. They were either doing this with or without Nordstrom's knowledge.

Either of the above accusations are major and have far reaching consequences in the integrity of a company and whether they are trustworthy. This would also potentially ruin the business relationship between AE and Nordstrom unless both parties were involved in one of the above conspiracies. I don't believe that either of the above scenarios took place. Rather, I believe that it is most likely something in the previous paragraphs that took place.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully the rumor can be put to rest unless someone has some objective facts or evidence to the contrary.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I totally disagree with you on this David. I am sure that the AE sales associates, not even the managers, are willing to do all that the Nordstrom department managers are willing to do. I have shopped with Liz in the Rockefeller store too and she was a pleasure to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.