Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

completely subjective, and in no way can either you, me, anyone else in this thread, or the owners/past owners of said shoes pass judgement IF the AE "seconds" markings were not been applied to the shoes.

not saying a pair of "seconds" didn't pass out of AE's factory to wherever it may end up, either their intended "seconds" retail outlets (or the underground railroad to Nordstrom), without the marking...

I have no horse in this race.. all three pairs of my AEs are technically seconds (one from J'ville outlet, the other two from Nordstrom RACK), so I couldnt care less about the topic at hand, just throwing my .02 in because I can [​IMG]

2. Upward

Upward Senior member

You guys are going to get me to start a shoe photo blog where I take pictures of every shoe I buy new, more pictures after 5 wearings, again after 20 wearings, and after 50 wearings. [​IMG]

Why have I become so addicted to this thread about shoes? I've become like my niece who amassed 20+ pairs. I did not understand her addiction until a couple years ago when I started buying more than I need.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

To add on to the above PSA- this same sale is happening at the Riverhead, NY location as well. Just sign up and get the coupon code.

4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I encourage all blogs related to shoes, especially where a perceived AE "second" might be trying to be passed off as a first that could be discovered before the first wear... dozens of posts in this thread alone with people posting their AE seconds they received, questioning if the defect were too excessive for most in this thread. some people sent back, some were advised by other posters to keep them..

very minimal posts IIRC of posters concerned with whether their AE firsts (or seconds) were possibly seconds after multiple wears.. possible wrong fitment, causing excessive bowing or possible creasing by too much shoe hanging out passed the toes, but that's about it..

5. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I've been walking around in my McAllisters in my home and it seems like the sizing is off. I can't remember when I bought my Park Avenues, but I don't remember anything about the break-in period. My Park Avenues fit amazing, but the McAllister, especially on my right foot, seems a bit tight on first wear. I could see it becoming uncomfortable after a half hour or so of walking.

Both shoes are a size 12 D.

6. calidist

calidist Senior member

Use the Mac break-in method and after the third break-in session you should know if you need a different size.

7. idex

idex New Member

Didn't know what the Mac Break-in method was so I searched for it and decided to copy it here.

>>break in method as follows:
    wear shoe only on carpeting
    wear three different times for a minimum of one hour
    after three wearing you will be able to ascertain if the shoes fit properly

8. Upward

Upward Senior member

I believe the McAllister and Park Ave's are the same last.

Do not be too concerned if it is slightly too tight when new. You do not want the shoe loose when new. The cork in the shoe will compress about 1/8th of an inch giving you a little more room.

My guess is after four wearings it should not be as tight.

9. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

I used to work across from a Nordstrom store, and I used to have the Chinese Chicken Salad in the Nordstrom Cafe at least once a week. A few years ago, the Nordstrom Cafe morphed into something called Sixth And Pine and the Chinese Chicken Salad went to way that almost everything else at Nordstrom has gone. I took one look at the new menu, and I never went into Sixth And Pine

Over the years, I watched to Nordstrom store slowly become more and more downmarket. The male staff stopped wearing ties and jackets. The few times that I had the unmitigated gall (as far as the staff was concerned) to try to buy some Nordstrom brand shoes there, the answer was always "We don't have those in your size". I always got the shoes that I wanted in my size, but I always got them from the Nordstrom website.

I did buy three pairs of shoelaces at Nordstrom, but I did not need to have any of the staff help me find them, although one of them had to break off from their group conversation to ring the shoelaces up for me.

I have also somehow managed to buy seven pairs of Allen-Edmonds shoes, some firsts and some seconds (2 pair Strands, Strandmoks, Ridgeways, Flagstaffs, Broadstreets, and Lombards) and I have never had any of the problems that some others posting here have had with their shoes. I have never had any problems at all with any of the Allen-Edmonds shoes that I have.

I do not know if I have been very lucky or if I just have lower standards than others have. I have never examined any of my shoes with a magnifying glass under high power illumination. I just put them on and wear them. My feet are far enough from my eyes that even if one stitch was 1/64" different from the other stitches, I wouldn't notice, particularly as my feet are often moving.

10. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

that's beautiful! :happy:

11. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

I tried them on again this morning and they feel better. Maybe my feet were a bit swollen because I was wearing boat shoes with no support all day. Hopefully they can break in like my PA's because they are amazing.

12. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

If it helps I wear 7.5E on the 5 last and when I bought the Shelton (1 last) I tried on 8D and 8E and went with 8E. I don't know how that compares to the 8 last. My problem is my feet are on the wide side but also flat. So, since the 5 is a little sleeker it works out okay (except one foot is larger than the other but that's a different story). On the 1 last it's comfortable because it's a roomier shoe but since my feet are flat, I end up with more material on top of the toe which can tend to push down on the crease as I walk. However, that was better than getting a shoe (8D) that was too narrow as I could immediately feel the pressure on the sides when I went from the 8E to the 8D.

Hope that helps and wasn't too confusing.

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Quote:I prefer the Spiaggia

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I just received a pair of 11E, they were perfect along the instep but too loose in the heal and a little tight in the toes.

Any recommendations?

15. poena

poena Senior member

If a 8.5 alden barrie lasted fits me perfectly and i'm looking at the strand and clifton. what sizes should I be looking at? I know the strand runs narrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.