• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's the difference between premium shoe polish and the carnauba wax polish?

I already have the renovateur if that matters.

Read through this: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=122

AE's Premium Polish is a Cream Polish, as described in the article. Don't confuse this with AE's Shoe Cream, that you may see on their website. It has an even lower wax content than the others, and has a much higher dye content.

MrWN

Reaction score
Has anyone on this page ordered from user: AllAboutShoes?

The prices and selection he offers is quite impressive. Would love to hear from any first hand transactions.

THanks.
I think 100 pages back, a few posters warned everyone to stay away from that website. Supposedly a sham.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I think 100 pages back, a few posters warned everyone to stay away from that website. Supposedly a sham.

Did you mean to respond to the post about the website the previous poster was asking about? The SF member is supposedly legit and others have commented positively.

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I feel compelled to purchase the Neumok in brown on sale right now for $170. This picture has me intrigued...

Never really considered this shoe before. Hmm...

Shiny

Reaction score

I feel compelled to purchase the Neumok in brown on sale right now for $170. This picture has me intrigued... Never really considered this shoe before. Hmm...
They are sweet! My experience is that you should size up 1/2 a size.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Hmm..I know PhiPsi32 ended up sizing down one width and keeping the same length for his. Others went down a half size in length. Now you're saying I should go up a 1/2 size. Interesting...

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strictly speaking, I'm nominally an 11C. The Neumok doesn't come in "C". So I bought the 11.5B which fits very well.

Hmm..I know PhiPsi32 ended up sizing down one width and keeping the same length for his. Others went down a half size in length. You're the first I've heard that actually went up in length.

bugsnest

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Been a lurker and still absorbing all the great information on this forum!

I wanted to post something in case someone like me, new and confused with the world of quality shoes, can benefit from my experience. I apologize for the long novel

This past weekend, I finally manned up and decided to get myself an Allen Edmonds at Nordstrom to avail the sale pricing. Now I came to these forums while researching Florsheims that I had great experience with from having owned a pair in the mid-nineties (my first “fancy shoe” after graduating from college!). Suffice to say I was disappointed to learn that the Florsheim quality has degraded remarkably since the time I purchased my first pair
angry.gif

I digress, but I trek down to the Nordstrom store in St Louis and after some waiting was greeted by a friendly SA who appeared knowledgeable and friendly. He gave me some good tips on shoe fitting and even went so far to measure my feet and told me I was a size smaller than I thought I was and perhaps my reason for wearing large shoes all these years was to accommodate my wide feet and high instep. Such profound wisdom revealed to me within minutes of making contact… I was beginning to like this place!!

So now comes the fitting process and he proceeds to fit me into a size 9D, which fit me a little too snug. The SA assured me it was a “good snug” and would break in a few weeks. Plus it was a Blucher style (LaSalle) so would sit nicely with my high instep. But I noticed it “opened up” near my ankle which should have been a clear indication of an ill-fitting shoe but to this the SA responded it was “normal”. He sensed my reluctance and then pushed me a little to buy it, try it at home and get it back if the fit was still an issue. He was concerned I would not get my size if I were to ponder over it since these things were flying off the door due to the sale. I thought that was fair and bought it home. When I tried it at home, I just hated it! It was clearly not my size and was too narrow

So I came back to the forum to see if someone else had similar issues and realized couple things-
1) Nordstrom does not always carry E and EEE sizes in store and usually need to order them in. So it’s not uncommon for SA’s to push D’s since it’s available on hand.
2) The Allen Edmond’s store offers more accurate measurements that are more likely to match your requirement. And carry more sizes.

I can’t say if #1 above is a general reflection of Nordstrom conduct or based on isolated experiences (including mine). But I can say for certain that #2 above is a fact and I wish I had done that first!!

The SA at the AE store was patient, knowledgeable and let me try different sizes before I settled on a 9E. Night and day difference! What I was most impressed with was the AE store allowed me to -
1) Exchange the 9D shoe purchased at Nordstrom for a 9E size at their store (she said they were all made by the same manufacturer and it did not matter) and
2) Matched the Nordstrom sale prices so I did not have to pay any more than I did

Suffice to say, this gesture made it a great buying experience at the AE store. I am now a fan - of the shoe, the company and the overall experience
smile.gif

jch1

Reaction score
I'm normally 11.5D. I sized from 11.5D to 11D in the olive ones. I also have snuff in 11.5D, and though I don't mind it, I probably would have slightly preferred getting them in 11D as well.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know that Macneil is cordovan based off the number code? I have a pair of similar hue that has a nice patina and is developing rolls as opposed to creasing but like this pair, mine does not have dove tail heels...

Hmm. You know what. I just assumed they were cordovan because they were advertised that way and they seem pretty close to cordovan to me. I will double check the style number tonight. I just assumed that the heels were replaced and were not original. My recollection is that they are not similar to AE rubber heels, but maybe they are an older style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads