1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Read through this: http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=122

AE's Premium Polish is a Cream Polish, as described in the article. Don't confuse this with AE's Shoe Cream, that you may see on their website. It has an even lower wax content than the others, and has a much higher dye content.

2. NeedAnM3

NeedAnM3 Member

Thanks donjuan! Great combo in your pic as well.

3. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

I think 100 pages back, a few posters warned everyone to stay away from that website. Supposedly a sham.

4. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior Member

It's a scam website. Do not order from them.

5. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

Did you mean to respond to the post about the website the previous poster was asking about? The SF member is supposedly legit and others have commented positively.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

6. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

I feel compelled to purchase the Neumok in brown on sale right now for $170. This picture has me intrigued...
    [​IMG]

Never really considered this shoe before. Hmm...

7. Shiny

Shiny Senior Member

They are sweet! My experience is that you should size up 1/2 a size.

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Hmm..I know PhiPsi32 ended up sizing down one width and keeping the same length for his. Others went down a half size in length. Now you're saying I should go up a 1/2 size. Interesting...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

Strictly speaking, I'm nominally an 11C. The Neumok doesn't come in "C". So I bought the 11.5B which fits very well.

10. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Ah, so my memory was actually quite wrong.

11. bugsnest

bugsnest New Member

Hi everyone! Been a lurker and still absorbing all the great information on this forum!

I wanted to post something in case someone like me, new and confused with the world of quality shoes, can benefit from my experience. I apologize for the long novel

This past weekend, I finally manned up and decided to get myself an Allen Edmonds at Nordstrom to avail the sale pricing. Now I came to these forums while researching Florsheims that I had great experience with from having owned a pair in the mid-nineties (my first “fancy shoe” after graduating from college!). Suffice to say I was disappointed to learn that the Florsheim quality has degraded remarkably since the time I purchased my first pair [​IMG]

I digress, but I trek down to the Nordstrom store in St Louis and after some waiting was greeted by a friendly SA who appeared knowledgeable and friendly. He gave me some good tips on shoe fitting and even went so far to measure my feet and told me I was a size smaller than I thought I was and perhaps my reason for wearing large shoes all these years was to accommodate my wide feet and high instep. Such profound wisdom revealed to me within minutes of making contact… I was beginning to like this place!!

So now comes the fitting process and he proceeds to fit me into a size 9D, which fit me a little too snug. The SA assured me it was a “good snug” and would break in a few weeks. Plus it was a Blucher style (LaSalle) so would sit nicely with my high instep. But I noticed it “opened up” near my ankle which should have been a clear indication of an ill-fitting shoe but to this the SA responded it was “normal”. He sensed my reluctance and then pushed me a little to buy it, try it at home and get it back if the fit was still an issue. He was concerned I would not get my size if I were to ponder over it since these things were flying off the door due to the sale. I thought that was fair and bought it home. When I tried it at home, I just hated it! It was clearly not my size and was too narrow

So I came back to the forum to see if someone else had similar issues and realized couple things-
    1) Nordstrom does not always carry E and EEE sizes in store and usually need to order them in. So it’s not uncommon for SA’s to push D’s since it’s available on hand.
    2) The Allen Edmond’s store offers more accurate measurements that are more likely to match your requirement. And carry more sizes.

I can’t say if #1 above is a general reflection of Nordstrom conduct or based on isolated experiences (including mine). But I can say for certain that #2 above is a fact and I wish I had done that first!!

The SA at the AE store was patient, knowledgeable and let me try different sizes before I settled on a 9E. Night and day difference! What I was most impressed with was the AE store allowed me to -
    1) Exchange the 9D shoe purchased at Nordstrom for a 9E size at their store (she said they were all made by the same manufacturer and it did not matter) and
    2) Matched the Nordstrom sale prices so I did not have to pay any more than I did

Suffice to say, this gesture made it a great buying experience at the AE store. I am now a fan - of the shoe, the company and the overall experience [​IMG]

12. jch1

jch1 Senior Member

I'm normally 11.5D. I sized from 11.5D to 11D in the olive ones. I also have snuff in 11.5D, and though I don't mind it, I probably would have slightly preferred getting them in 11D as well.

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Hmm. You know what. I just assumed they were cordovan because they were advertised that way and they seem pretty close to cordovan to me. I will double check the style number tonight. I just assumed that the heels were replaced and were not original. My recollection is that they are not similar to AE rubber heels, but maybe they are an older style.

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior Member

Some people sized down for the McTavish

15. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior Member

I have a pair of McTavish and they run a bit larger than all of my other AEs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.