1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Good point. Their business model and strategy of late doesn't exactly show any expectation of being sold to someone who is just going to reverse all of their progress from the last few years. It isn't as if they are being sold on a whim, or that they are under some sort of duress and are at the mercy of their buyer. It's a calculated decision.

2. MoneyWellSpent

3. MoneyWellSpent

Very true.

4. jch1

jch1 Senior Member

5. MoneyWellSpent

Yes they are sold year-round at AE outlet stores and through their Shoe Bank. Outlets generally don't have first quality shoes, the simply sell seconds.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

6. MoneyWellSpent

7. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

totally agree, the trash I see church's spewing out is unbelievable. Really sad to see a great product turned into a fashion brand.

8. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

9. MoneyWellSpent

You're correct that those differences exist, but they have nothing to do with captoe placement. His original comment isn't an apples to oranges comparison, you made it into one. [​IMG]

I remain neutral on the captoe placement argument, however.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

10. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

Having only started buying and wearing fine men's clothes and shoes almost two years ago I can say Nordstrom is hardly a big box store. I can't stand the lack of customer service and personal attention at a store like Macys anymore. I would say my shoe shopping experiences at Nordstrom have been on par with my experience at Brooks Brothers. Granted I only deal with the same SA who has been with BB since the 80's and is one of the top sellers in the nation. I shop at Nordstrom in the Short Hills Mall in NJ and the one at The Palm Beach Gardens Mall in FL. Both were good experiences. I even exchanged a pair of used Park Ave's for a different size with no problems.

11. ww21943

ww21943 Well-Known Member

12. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior Member

I currently have the following shoes and need to decide which ones to keep and which to return, or if I should get others.

Fifth Avenue in Brown
    Strand in Walnut
    McCallister in Black

I don't wear suits to work, just pants and a button down. I wear suits for other occasions, but rarely.

I was leaning towards the Fifth Ave for everyday wear as simple brown shoes, but now I can't decide if I want to keep the others or not...

Thoughts??

(These are my first AE's!!)

13. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

The fit is pretty similar to the PA, although in my opinion the PA is slightly more snug. I notice the Rutledge is a bit longer than the PA. Very comfortable overall.
    The burnishing is great, and I think the walnut is lighter in person (at least when compared to the pic of the Rutledge from the AE website). This may be due to the fact that I purchased factory seconds instead of firsts. But I love the shoes...I was using Saphir wax (light brown) but I found that the wax and the walnut of the Rutledge didn't mesh well...so for now I just use the AE walnut polish with a little wax on the cap toe. I also love how the soles look on this shoe scuffed up..I wish more AEs would be full leather soles with a half rubber heel instead of full rubber heels. Just seems more elegant in my opinion.

14. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

Its a good thing you came to us for help. First, I would just get rid of the McAllister in black. Unless you are in London and trying to find some way to add variety to your all-black shoe collection, these aren't very useful.

Since you are not wearing suits or even sport coats, I am tempted to tell you to return all of them. The are all the more formal balmoral (the US use of the word) style. Sure, you can get away with balmorals without a jacket, but since you have the option to return them, I would.

I think the Fifth Ave is a bit formal for an everyday brown shoe for pants and a button-up shirt. It really is a suit shoe. You can probably get away with the Strand in walnut due to all the brogueing.

Some suggestions:
    Delray/LaSalle in Chili or dark brown (I like the Delray better but the LaSalle is on sale right now)
    MacNeil in burgundy
    Neumok in some version of brown suede (yeah, its a balmoral, but a very dressed-down version)
    Patriot in burgundy or brown
    Clifton in walnut (I believe a Nordstrom exclusive)
    Williams in brown
    Maybe a tassel loafer if you are into that

Get the Park Ave in black for when you need to wear a suit, go to a job interview or wedding, funeral, etc.. For the other 2, I would go with something casual, like on the list above.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Add me to that list.... For my black shell boots I have been thinking of a black NST boot so I hope they go into production and on a last that fits me well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.