• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen anyone comment on these yet.
biggrin.gif
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6180_1_40000000001_-1
I saw those yesterday. Those do nothing for me personally. However, the guy at my local menswear/shoe store said he really liked the navy ones. He is a bit younger than me, so that may have something to do with it. Chris

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say most sa's are poorly trained. I had to explain to a guy at bergdorfs what a last was. I was looking at a pair of jl's. I couldn't believe this guy sold $1500 shoes and had no clue about lasts.

scbrooks87

Reaction score

Scott, the Strands are on sale at Nordstrom's Department Store with a 33% discount . . . or around $229.00 Plus, you get a 100% refund or guarantee - even if you wear them for a few months - if the Nordstrom's Professional Fit does not work out for you.

Give the Nordstrom Manager your contact information, or send a private message to me for his info.
I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
-Scott

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Allen-Edmonds make already make (other than Cordovan) shoes in three different price (and quality) ranges, the Independence shoes, the "regular" shoes, and the $175.00 glued sole shoes?

They do, yes. However, their "bread and butter" is their main line of shoes and it is what they derive the vast majority of their profit from. They make the other lower lines to earn brand loyalty from those that are not yet ready to afford high-end shoes, but may move in that direction when they are able to. At least that is their main purpose according to the CEO. Also, they are smart enough to know that there will always be people who only buy cheap shoes, so allocating a department to making those isn't necessarily bad business, and the CEO has said that they can't afford to forfeit potential profits that can be found there. As for their Independence Collection, I don't think they are really seeking to snag loyal customers of the extremely high-end shoe market (such as Edward Green, John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, etc.) with those. I think they are simply offering a slightly nicer shoe than their "bread and butter" line. As I said above, the company is based on a "no frills" foundation of quality, but that doesn't mean that they can't make some products that do have "frills." There will always be people who can afford to pay at the higher end of the spectrum at each price point.

Quite simply, a diverse portfolio is generally better (and safer) than putting all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited:

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
-Scott
Scott-The sale is technically starts tomorrow (7/19) for the public and will end (8/5).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/anniversary-sale

Good luck

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on the upcoming Nordstrom sale?

Here's my collection so far:

PA - Black
5th Ave - Dark Brown
LaSalle - Chili
Strands - Walnut

I was thinking of another color for the strands (something formal, since walnut is not really an office friendly color) or the Daltons in dark brown or another PA (different color). Choices, choices......

Hypothetically, let's say every color is available.

I didn't see a response to this.

If it were me, you seem to have black and three shades of brown covered nicely. And you already have three captoes.

Since "hypothetically ... every color is available," I'd say it is high time for some merlot/burgundy wingtips or long wings, e.g. McAllister/Cambridge or Macneils.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's essentially the Jack Nicklaus Desert Mountain golf shoe with a few changes.

They remind me of bowling shoes.

I saw those yesterday. Those do nothing for me personally. However, the guy at my local menswear/shoe store said he really liked the navy ones. He is a bit younger than me, so that may have something to do with it.

Chris

I really like these as I used to have a pair of Kenneth Cole casual shoes which were similar. However, there is no way in the world I'd pay $275 for shoes like these. That's Strand et al. territory for me!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's essentially the Jack Nicklaus Desert Mountain golf shoe with a few changes.

Appearance wise, yes. However, the new Voyager is Goodyear-welted and re-craftable. If I liked the looks of it, I'd be interested from the standpoint of having a true walking shoe that is repairable rather than just disposable (like all sneakers are).

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I would consider getting the Voyager but with a golf sole.

Appearance wise, yes.  However, the new Voyager is Goodyear-welted and re-craftable.  If I liked the looks of it, I'd be interested from the standpoint of having a true walking shoe that is repairable rather than just disposable (like all sneakers are).    

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a fan of them, I think this is taking quite a few steps back and is along the same stylishness as square toed shoes.

It's a sneaker. I have a pair of Clark's that looks similar, but with a glued sole.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the new fall collection.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would completely depend on the buyer. The investment firm may be looking for some liquidity and would move their interest to another firm who wishes to make no changes. They could be purchased by a larger group who operates them as a seperate business unit. Or, they are acquired and consolidates by other existing management. A lot with depend on the P&L of the company as was as the strategic brand strategy employeed by the buyer. I could go on and on about the ins and outs of M&A but I don't want to detail the thread and bore people to death. Needless to say it can go many different directions and will be fascinating to watch

Unlikely. AE is already controlled by a private equity company, which means the cuts and streamlining have already occurred. Goldner Hawn bought AE in '06 and the typical time frame for a PE holding is 5-7 years, i.e. its just time to cash out. They bought in at $100M so even at the lower end of the valuation range, they've booked a healthy profit. With the sale of Loro Piana to LVMH last week, I'd imagine luxury company valuations are pretty rich right now which gives Goldner even more reason to sell. Unless Goldner has pulled a TXU, I'd imagine things will be business as usual after the sale.

The thought of having AE acquired by a luxury goods co. the likes of RL (Filson) or Prada (Church's) isn't all that appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads