Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I saw those yesterday. Those do nothing for me personally. However, the guy at my local menswear/shoe store said he really liked the navy ones. He is a bit younger than me, so that may have something to do with it. Chris

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I would say most sa's are poorly trained. I had to explain to a guy at bergdorfs what a last was. I was looking at a pair of jl's. I couldn't believe this guy sold $1500 shoes and had no clue about lasts.

3. scbrooks87

scbrooks87 Member

I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
    -Scott

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

They do, yes. However, their "bread and butter" is their main line of shoes and it is what they derive the vast majority of their profit from. They make the other lower lines to earn brand loyalty from those that are not yet ready to afford high-end shoes, but may move in that direction when they are able to. At least that is their main purpose according to the CEO. Also, they are smart enough to know that there will always be people who only buy cheap shoes, so allocating a department to making those isn't necessarily bad business, and the CEO has said that they can't afford to forfeit potential profits that can be found there. As for their Independence Collection, I don't think they are really seeking to snag loyal customers of the extremely high-end shoe market (such as Edward Green, John Lobb, Gaziano & Girling, etc.) with those. I think they are simply offering a slightly nicer shoe than their "bread and butter" line. As I said above, the company is based on a "no frills" foundation of quality, but that doesn't mean that they can't make some products that do have "frills." There will always be people who can afford to pay at the higher end of the spectrum at each price point.

Quite simply, a diverse portfolio is generally better (and safer) than putting all your eggs in one basket.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  5. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Scott-The sale is technically starts tomorrow (7/19) for the public and will end (8/5).

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/anniversary-sale

Good luck

6. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I really like these as I used to have a pair of Kenneth Cole casual shoes which were similar. However, there is no way in the world I'd pay $275 for shoes like these. That's Strand et al. territory for me!

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I didn't see a response to this.

If it were me, you seem to have black and three shades of brown covered nicely. And you already have three captoes.

Since "hypothetically ... every color is available," I'd say it is high time for some merlot/burgundy wingtips or long wings, e.g. McAllister/Cambridge or Macneils.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's essentially the Jack Nicklaus Desert Mountain golf shoe with a few changes.

[​IMG]

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Appearance wise, yes. However, the new Voyager is Goodyear-welted and re-craftable. If I liked the looks of it, I'd be interested from the standpoint of having a true walking shoe that is repairable rather than just disposable (like all sneakers are).

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Yes, that's why I would consider getting the Voyager but with a golf sole.

11. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

12. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's a sneaker. I have a pair of Clark's that looks similar, but with a glued sole.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the new fall collection.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

The thought of having AE acquired by a luxury goods co. the likes of RL (Filson) or Prada (Church's) isn't all that appealing.

15. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Look what hermes did to lobb....not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.