Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

[/quote] Interesting, hopefully whatever the outcome, they can keep the production in USA and QC high.

2. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

bad news guys

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/17/us-allenedmonds-sale-idUSBRE96G0OX20130717

Dress shoe company Allen Edmonds exploring sale of firm: sources

By Olivia Oran
    Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24am EDT

(Reuters) - Men's dress shoe company Allen Edmonds is exploring a sale of the company, according to two sources familiar with the matter.
    The Port Washington, Wisconsin-based company, controlled by private equity firm Goldner Hawn Johnson Morrison, has hired Robert W. Baird & Co to run the process.
    A deal could value the company at $150 million to $200 million, the sources said.
    Founded in 1922, Allen Edmonds sells its shoes through department stores like Nordstrom Inc (JWN.N) and Macy's Inc (M.N), as well as 38 company-owned retail stores. One of the few remaining American shoe companies, Allen Edmonds' shoes are handcrafted using a 212-step production process.
    Minneapolis-based Goldner Hawn Johnson Morrison acquired the company in 2006.
    Goldner Hawn Johnson Morrison could not be reached for comment. Baird declined to comment.
    Allen Edmonds is among several footwear companies that have gone on the block over the past year.
    In November 2012, Nike Inc (NKE.N) sold its Cole Haan brand to Apax Partners for $570 million.
    In May 2012, footwear retailer Collective Brands Inc was purchased by a consortium including Wolverine Worldwide Inc (WWW.N), Blum Capital Partners and Golden Gate Capital for about $1.3 billion.
    (Reporting by Olivia Oran in New York; Editing by Nick Zieminski)

3. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

90+ degrees in July, I'm tempted to try again, but I'll probably just keep them out of fear of getting something worse. It really does have to be the perfect angle to catch.

4. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Ugh... Hopefully this impending sale of the firm doesn't affect their legendary customer service or quality. I wouldn't bet against that however... They'll probably cut corners and bank on the strength of the brand to coast a few years while production values go the way of Florsheim, Bostonian or Johnston and Murphy.

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I would be curious to see what would happen with Mr.Grangaard. His participation in this forum has been of great benefit. I would hate to see him go.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  6. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Thanks. Must've been just my timing. Was hoping to get some spare trees as well.

7. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I bought black PA's at the beginning of the summer; I've been wearing them every three days or so since (rotating with dark brown PA's and some random Johnston & Murphys).

Just a few days ago the right shoe started rubbing against my right pinky toe in an excruciatingly painful way. I haven't developed a blister because I don't walk much, but the shoe is too uncomfortable to wear and I don't know what could have made this happen all of a sudden. I haven't changed socks or anything so I don't know why this has happened.

Anyone have any ideas? Will getting them stretched out at a cobbler help?

8. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

[​IMG]

A pic of my walnut Rutledges

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Wow They look great. How do you like the fit? I'm considering switching from my PAs to the Rutledges.

10. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Ahh! The last AE shoe to acquire in my basic collection, your thoughts on the burnishing and whether the walnut is darker or lighter in your opinion?

11. meursault42

meursault42 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Finally picked up a pair from the nordstrom sale. I'm not a huge fan of black shoes, and so I hadn't owned any. I considered getting the grey ones they've had up on clearance, but in the end decided the black was more versatile and went with them. Very happy with my choice. Very worried about the possible sale.

Cheers.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Black shoes are the go for all formal occasions! :slayer:

13. docka

docka Senior member

Any recommendations on the upcoming Nordstrom sale?

Here's my collection so far:

PA - Black
    5th Ave - Dark Brown
    LaSalle - Chili
    Strands - Walnut

I was thinking of another color for the strands (something formal, since walnut is not really an office friendly color) or the Daltons in dark brown or another PA (different color). Choices, choices......

Hypothetically, let's say every color is available.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

It would completely depend on the buyer. The investment firm may be looking for some liquidity and would move their interest to another firm who wishes to make no changes. They could be purchased by a larger group who operates them as a seperate business unit. Or, they are acquired and consolidates by other existing management. A lot with depend on the P&L of the company as was as the strategic brand strategy employeed by the buyer. I could go on and on about the ins and outs of M&A but I don't want to detail the thread and bore people to death. Needless to say it can go many different directions and will be fascinating to watch

15. Upward

Upward Senior member

Why is Walnut not an office friendly color?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.