1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sartorialnoob

sartorialnoob Well-Known Member

First post, but I thought this would be a better place to ask this question than starting a new thread.

I'm an office guy and am business casual most days with a suit only two or three times per month. I got started with AEs out of school and now have the three pairs shown in the picture.

The Seneca, the black split toe blucher, was my first real dress shoe purchase at least eight years ago. They were recrafted about three years ago. I picked up the merlot Park Aves. about five years ago and then added the Strands last year. You might guess that I'm a fan of the no. 5 last. Having three pairs of decent shoes means I can now rotate them without resorting to some seriously ugly alternatives in my closet.

I'm going to add another pair and want to make sure I am covering the basics. What would the folks around here suggest? A burnished brown Kenilworth or a wingtip? Should I just get the ubiquitous black captoe like a Fifth Ave?

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

A brown wingtip would round out your current collection. McAllister or McNeil

1 person likes this.
  3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I hardly wear black so I would go with something dark brown if I were you. The only problem there is that if you had to really get dressed up you are missing a black cap toe.

4. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

5. sartorialnoob

What about something a little different like the Dalton wingtip boot in brown? Is there a big difference between the no. 1 and no. 5 lasts?

6. sartorialnoob

I'm in the midwest and I think a lot of people around here are missing a blck cap toe. I've worn the Senecas when black shoes were called for (like funerals) and have never felt out of place.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

#1 last is more rounded in the toe, I think. But, sure, a wingtip boot would work too.

8. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I have both the Strands (#5) and the Malverns (#1) and the #5's are narrower throughout, but have a much wider toe box than the #1's. The #1's have a more pointed toe than the #5's. I wear 9.5E in Strands and 10D in the Malverns, for reference.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I was browsing on Amazon. They have a 15% discount on select shoes. Allen Edmonds are included.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Some real life pics of the Larchmont, it's a good looking longwing :slayer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have yet to try on the 333 last, they had little inventory of any of the shoes in this last. Hopefully the AE stores start to get more stock in soon :plain:

11. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Larchmont is definitely the most intriguing of the 333 shoes, IMHO. Gorgeous, especially in the dark brown.

12. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Even more intriguing than the return of the mora in 333 last?

13. elbastardocalvo

Yes. I don't care for monks.

14. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Thank you for posting the photos. Can you imagine the Larchmont in scotchgrain with a double sole?

15. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I wear a 11.5D in last #5 (Strand, McAllister, etc). Just had to size up to a 12D in the MacNeil's. The toebox was just too narrow. Anyone else or am I nuts?

16. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No, you're not nuts. I had to size up 1/2 in the MacNeil, and someone else here (maybe patrickb) also had to. I found it too short in my true size. I thought I was the only one; good to know it's not just me.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. Al in Philly

You're not nuts at all. I wear a 9.5E in the #5, and wear a 10D in Malvern (#1). The MacNeils have an even more narrow toe box than the Malvern.

18. Al in Philly

Am I the only one that wishes the Larchmont had closed lacing?

19. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Can you submit a Photoshoped version of that?

20. elbastardocalvo

= a skinny MacNeil?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.