• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Question: For those who own both the Allen Edmonds branded and Jos A Bank branded shoe trees, is there a noticeable difference in quality? This might sound like an ignorant question, however, I do own some no name branded shoe trees and my Allen Edmonds trees are FAR higher quality. I'd like to jump on this sale today, but not if I'd have to sacrifice quality. Thanks!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
By all reports, they are identical and even made in the same factory.

Fabian43

Reaction score

Quote:
The El Dorado looks OK. The other 2 I wouldn't wear. My favorite driver from AE would have to be the El Paso. Though not drivers, you may also want to consider the Preston (currently on clearance) or the Sanibel (all in brown not black).
Awesome recommendations! I really liked the Preston, however I can't get past the contrasting stitching. Too bad because the shape of the shoe and look is exactly what looking for. I've really never seen the Sanibel before, very very nice. I think a little dressier than I wanted, for my purpose, but it does look like I could wear them with shorts right?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The Sanibel is the same shape and last as the Preston. I suppose it is slightly dressier as it has black stiching instead of the very contrasting off-white, but I think the chili grain is casual enough for shorts. I wear mine with shorts anyway.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: For those who own both the Allen Edmonds branded and Jos A Bank branded shoe trees, is there a noticeable difference in quality? This might sound like an ignorant question, however, I do own some no name branded shoe trees and my Allen Edmonds trees are FAR higher quality. I'd like to jump on this sale today, but not if I'd have to sacrifice quality. Thanks!
I have both. Exact same quality.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Coincidentally I no longer have these and I'm in the process of getting a shell pair made. If you look closely there is some excessive creasing on the vamp, and a slight amount of bowing. While working with AE on a shell MTO and trying to get the size correct, I mentioned this, sent them a few pictures, and then was asked to send them up for inspection. They were out of spec and had some flaws in the leather, so they offered to send me a new pair. I took the opportunity to upgrade to shell. Great customer service at AE, and I'm looking forward to my first pair of black shell.
You may not be happy with having shell for an oxford style shoe. The shell will appear to bend and crease and is not a desired look with such a formal shoe as the PA.I
Personally I am not fond of the microcreasing that calf eventually ends up with no matter what you do. I really like my shell PA, a lot. Good choice shartmann.

If they fit properly they will look fine IMO. I have seen some pictures on ebay with some shell shoes that have excessive rolls. I do not have that issue, it helps a lot when your foot fits the 5 last perfectly.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
FYI, the Brick and Mortar locations should price match the sale. No need to worry about buying in mass quantities if not necessary.

Unfortunately the store near me never carries size Small. The 9 shoe trees I just purchased will find homes over the next couple of years to be sure.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beginning to feel like I am never going to get my MTO Bayfields...

This might be terrible advice, but start hunting for your next pair. Takes your mind off of it, and then eventually voila it shows up.
I think that is good advice myself! I'm thinking the Manchester loafer in burgundy shell next while I'm waiting on my cappuccino Bayfields. Tassel loafer plus a longwing, don't know how I could go wrong. Except I have no idea how the 7 last will end up fitting me.

When I got home this weekend my cappuccino McAllisters were waiting for me

They have some bowing so not sure if I am going to return them or not I will measure the throat opening on some other shoes to compare later. I keep brushing them anyhow, they are a beautiful color and different than the cappuccino Dundee's.

Last edited:

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the sale Daltons today and had to call for an exchange. I'm not that picky, but for first quality I couldn't deal with an unnatural rectangle imprint in the middle of the toe area. It didn't look like it would come out. So comfortable and the walnut looks great though.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to whoever gave the heads up on the Jos A Bank, shame they won't part with those shoe trees to outside world beyond the US but im going to grab a belt or two, so cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads