Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samadhi27

samadhi27 Senior member

Very nice bluchers... I feel they'd be well served by a medallion on the captoe a la Alt-Wiens

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks gents. Sam, I agree with you about the medallion. I have a similar pair of color 8 Aldens that have the medallion and love the Alt Wien look it gives them.

4. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Not true. According to Paul Grangaard's message on AAAB - the W stands for worn.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Are these dark brown or cappuccino?

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Not sure. I remember there was some debate about the colour when the sale was on - the shot below shows some of the subtleties of the colour that more accord with my idea of something other than dark brown, which is more uniform.

[​IMG]

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Yes, AE shoes are hand burnished, even with machine burnishing, it's not possible to get the same finish for each shoe, it's completely normal, and you can use your current shoe care products, they will work perfectly fine.

8. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

I emailed the shoebank today for the updated clearance list and the Chili Grayson in my size is listed as being $59 on closeout. I just called, the SA checked, and although it shows there as $59, he said he was sure the 2 was left off the beginning and they should be $259 and that he could check and call me back tomorrow. I've seen earlier in this thread that some SAs will honor price typos... Anything special to making this happen? I sure would love a pair of chili Graysons for $59 :-D

9. EEric22

EEric22 Active Member

I'm currently having a bit of an internal debate, if anyone wants to chime in. I'm working on building out my "big boy" shoe wardrobe and currently have black 5th Avenues and walnut McAllisters. I just turned 25 and work for a consulting firm that is business casual 95% of the time.

The two options I'm going over:

1. Picking up walnut Daltons in the Nordstrom sale (more for casual wear) and brown Strands to round out a 3-shoe work rotation.
    2. Diving into cordovan and going for burgundy MacNeils. I love the burgundy color and am also really tempted by Aldens, though my experience so far with AE has me leaning more towards staying with AE.

Both ways, the budget would be ~$600... Any opinions would be great!

- E

10. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Holy crap...just, wow. Congrats, those are terrific. J

11. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I won't comment as much on the shoes, as on the finishes for 'next'. Couldn't agree more, dark brown and merlot would really round things out nicely for you. I own the Dk brown Strand (love it), and the Walnut Grain MacNeil, so am familiar with both shoes and thy are great. By own collection has recently swelled to 12 pr, yikes. J

12. kcip

kcip Member

I was thinking of picking up the Dalton's at the Nordstrom sale. I'm out of the country for the next few weeks so I won't be able to try them on. I've been fitted to a 7.5 EEE in the 5 last (strand). What would you guys recommend for the Dalton? I've seen conflicting posts on the comparison between the 5 and 1 last. I see some people sizing up and some sizing down. Any help is appreciated! thanks!

13. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I'd go with Alden Color 8 if you really want a burgundy cordovan and your budget is $600. AE's new burgundy cordovan is the least attractive cordovan, in my opinion.

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Eric your budget should be able to help you acquire whatever you would like from AE. Consider going the mto route.

15. impendingdoo

impendingdoo Active Member

Does anyone here have experience with the Allen Edmonds belts?

Are they worth it to purchase during the Nordstrom Anniversary sale at ~$64? Or would a full grain dress belt be a better option?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.