1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

To me the outfit described cries out for something burgundy involving as much or as little broguing as you're comfortable with. I suspect a PA (in any color) might be a shade too austere.

2. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior Member

Damn those are nice! Cold Iron if you had to pick one shade of shell that you think AE does best which would it be? I want to do a shell Rutledge for an MTO and I'm torn between a darker brown and a burgundy.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Dark brown Strands
    Merlot McAllister
    any wingtips in dark brown or burgundy.

4. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

I recently got the kenwoods. Love the fit and look but I do wish they were lined. For my use Quoddy or Rancourt probably would have been a better fit but I like the kenwoods a lot.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

5. theh00d

theh00d Senior Member

While we are on this topic, what about long wingtips, macneil with suit?

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Not a good idea.

7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

If my dark brown Jeffersons or my burgundy shell vintage Imperial gunboats are wrong, I don't wanna be right.

8. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Full ack. At least in Europe wingtips are considered as one of THE dress shoes.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

9. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Very tempting. How did you size?

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Tts, same as AE lasts. 1/2 size up from Alden's Barrie last.

11. njruss

njruss Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but wingtips (I am not a big fan of long wings but love my McAllisters) are perfectly acceptable as dress shoes. For that matter, I like black dress shoes (as opposed to some folks on this thread) as well as burgundy and browns. I have black J&M wingtips and Lasalles as well as merlot McAllisters. Next on my want list are Strands, probably brown and walnut (I am aware that walnut is a little less formal).

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Those are beautiful boat shoes bucksfan, congrats! Close enough to being AE's Michael and Kyle purchased the company back from AE a couple of years ago so in reality that is still an AE stamp ;-)

I haven't had any issues with the speedhooks on my Bayfield's either however there were some people in the past that did. I wore mine hard and put a lot of pressure on them without issue, AE did CXL right with the Bayfield IMO. CXL isn't the toughest leather in several ways and without a liner I would not trust it to hold the hooks well.
    Thanks SouthNarc! It was only 3 years ago that AE offered brown shell, before that it was burgundy and black. So a part of me is still traditional with a lean towards burgundy, both the old and new finish. I really like the new finish someone recently on here called it burnt lobster but it is more like the old black cherry of the 70's and I love it. I also really like the cappuccino too it changes colors through out the day depending on lighting so it is very unique, AE did a great job with it. Most of the time with indoor lighting they are darker and I'd be hard pressed to tell them from dark brown. I think the Rutledge in any shell color would be a great choice, nice pick and looking forward to pics of which ever color you decide!

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Thanks. Looks like last day for semi-annual. Don't really need another pair of boat shoes right now, but may pull the trigger at the next corporate sale if they are included.

14. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior Member

Help, please.

I recently decided on the Wolverine 1000 Mile Montgomery:

[​IMG]

over the Allen Edmonds Bayfield:

[​IMG]

Foolishness?

15. Calikid

Calikid Senior Member

IMO longwings look awesome with a suit. Next time you go somewhere, office, party, restaurant, wedding etc. check out the shoes that most people are wearing and you will see anything from square toe laceups to square toe loafer to sqare toe loafer with silver buckles (i thought Pilgrims didn't exist anymore) to shoes that haven't been shined in 20 years. Chances are your long wings will be the best shoes there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.