• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FedEx just delivered the Chukkamoks I got on the clearance sale. I realized I needed some boots that weren't so heavy and hot for the summer. These seemed to fit the bill (cheaper than the Alden flex-welt chukkas, which I am sure are better quality, but for more than twice the price...). The name has put me off them ever since AE released them but being on clearance got me over that.

These are only 13oz, compared to my CXL Indys which are almost a pound heavier. These chukkas are like wearing slippers. Good value for the money.

I think I'll darken them a bit, as they almost look like pale human skin, especially the vamp.

Subutai

Reaction score
FedEx just delivered the Chukkamoks I got on the clearance sale. I realized I needed some boots that weren't so heavy and hot for the summer. These seemed to fit the bill (cheaper than the Alden flex-welt chukkas, which I am sure are better quality, but for more than twice the price...). The name has put me off them ever since AE released them but being on clearance got me over that.

These are only 13oz, compared to my CXL Indys which are almost a pound heavier. These chukkas are like wearing slippers. Good value for the money.

I think I'll darken them a bit, as they almost look like pale human skin, especially the vamp.

Nice buy.
I was back and forth between those and the Banchory. I love the leather on those styles. I had the same the concern as to whether or not they would darken. I ended up buying the Banchory in navy, but would be very interested to see how the tan ages. Please post additional pics after some wear....

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up my first shell last year, some NOS 14AA black Leeds on eBay. I'd been wanting gunboats for years and upon receiving those Leeds knew I wanted shell gunboats. I purchased burgundy shell Daltons in November, but kept scouring eBay for longwings in my size to no avail. Finally I took advantage of Mr. Grangaard's offer a few months ago. FedEx just delivered 'em. I own half a dozen Allen Edmonds shoes; given that my office is biz casual and I only wear a jacket once or twice a month, I'm now absolutely content with my rotation.

(the nice thing about such a long narrow foot is that even chunky double-soled longwings look sleek!)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold Iron: I have the burgundy and brown shell Patriots in 10D which is my normal size on the 5 last and also 1 last. The patriot is the first loafer to ever fit me without my heel coming out of the shoe. My foot is much like yours and in addition a very low volume foot. I wear my superfeet inserts in them and the fit is just about perfect for me. If you have a low to mid volume foot I think they are certainly worth a try.

The Patriot is one of the best fitting loafers I have ever tried on. There was literally no heel slip right out of the box.

I go down in width for all loafers, regardless of maker.

shartmann

Reaction score

Picked up my first shell last year, some NOS 14AA black Leeds on eBay. I'd been wanting gunboats for years and upon receiving those Leeds knew I wanted shell gunboats. I purchased burgundy shell Daltons in November, but kept scouring eBay for longwings in my size to no avail. Finally I took advantage of Mr. Grangaard's offer a few months ago. FedEx just delivered 'em. I own half a dozen Allen Edmonds shoes; given that my office is biz casual and I only wear a jacket once or twice a month, I'm now absolutely content with my rotation.

(the nice thing about such a long narrow foot is that even chunky double-soled longwings look sleek!)

Those look great! Nice choice.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes RandomAdam; can't believe how sleek they look. Maybe I should start buying size 14AA and stuffing them with newspaper to fill out the empty space.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. Makes me wish I had AA feet.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the 10s again. But you just might want to try the "E" width if available. Otherwise, I might abandon the #2 last. It's difficult to get a good fit. I'm one of many that have walked away from the 2 last.

The further most crease digs into the bottom of my big toe nail. I called my local Nordstrom's and they have a 10 in stock right now so I'm going to go in after work and try those on. These 10.5s feel like they've definitely stretched out quite a bit, so maybe I can hope for the same with the 10's.

ehhh, I don't know deeselcyde. Again, I think it depends on if it was the width that bothered you about the 10's. If so, it's not a good idea to buy shoes with the hope that they stretch out.

The 2-Last is generally tricky. I'd strongly recommend trying to get the 10's in E rather than trying to make the D work.

All that said, if you get the 10D's and they are tight, you could always stretch them with Meltonian and a stretcher, but I keep thinking that it makes more sense to find the E. Either way, good luck.

pomofo

Reaction score
Can anyone mention their respective sizes in the Patriot Loafers (or any other loafers) relative to their size in a few other lasts, including a common 5-last shoe like the PA or Strand? I have a couple dozen AE's in all (in addition to some Carminas and Aldens, incluing an LHS) and have been fitted numerous times for various lasts, but I have not yet found a loafer that will fit me from AE. In fairness, I have not yet been fitted for this new last.

I fear that my wide toes and normal / narrow (relative to toebox) heels make me an impossible fit for most AE loafers, but I wanted to see if any others have overcome a situation like this. In addition, I frequently have to go with shoes on the higher end of my size range (since a 12.5E is an uncommonly stocked size), so the instep becomes an additional problem, as my foot is frequenly sitting further back in the shoe, away from the tounge. This is fine for oxfords, but becomes a huge concern for loafers. I'd prefer to avoid tounge pads for a shoe that will frequently be worn on hot days. I have a 12E Dornoch that doesn't fit all that well, as my foot sits too far back from the tounge. I commonly wear a 13D on the 5 and 1 lasts. Others have varied, based on the shoe.

Any ideas? So far, the Alden LHS on the Van last in a 12E has been my best option. Thoe toebox is great, the heel slips slighly (but I have yet to break it in so this may not be a real problem).

I wear a 12E Patriot and it seems a little short. Been looking for a 13D to see if it might fit a little better. The best fits I've found in AE have been 12D in Byron and Ritz (4-last). On the 5-last I wear 11.5E and 12D, with the 11.5 E being normally more comfortable (I need a wider toebox to keep from pinching my little toe). I also have a 12E McAllister which, while noticeably roomier than the Patriot, is not at all loose. I've also got various 8-last and 2-last shoes, all in 12E; 12D would be too tight.

ETA: The Patriot is not at all tight. And I don't have heel slip like I do with my 13D Weejuns. So maybe 12E is the right size for me after all.

Last edited:

PK35216

Reaction score
Can anyone identify a good remedy to some spotting on the uppers of shoes, such as this:

Would this spotting go away over time with shoe cream, or no? I'm not sure if they are much of a big deal to begin with, I would like your guys' opinion.

I don't see much and wouldn't worry about it. However, I can tell you that Saphir Renomat could lighten the spots most likely. However, I once tried to remove a bad spot on a pair of vintage chestnut (light) colored AE's, and I damaged the leather and did more harm than good. So, if you go the Renomat route, seek guidance and be patient. AE conditioner/cleaner, which you should get anyway (or Saphir Renovateur) might also lighten the spots with a less harsh cleaning agent and zero potential for damaging the shoe by stripping.

Regardless, a few spots can just add to the vintage patina (vatina?) and character, though.

williaby

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on the fit of these Cliftons. I live in Oregon and we don't have an AE here, so Nordstrom it is. However the stores said they only carry D widths. I measured on the AE fit guide to a 11.5C. In store they fit me to a 10.5D in the park avenue. They seemed wide in the heel, so I ordered these 11B cliftons online. There is a little room in the heel, but overall they feel good. Thanks for the help. Once I get a better idea on fit, its on to a pair of black park avenues.

frogwash

Reaction score
For dress belts, you might just consider shell cordovan or custom make ups.  You can buy a top quality custom belt from Rancourt or Hellbrand Leather Works for nearly the same price as a ready to wear from AE.
I'll second this. Nicest belt I own was forty something bucks from http://www.narragansettleathers.com -- very clean lines and will hold up forever.

I second this, I have one of their double ring belts in chestnut, (the closest to AE's walnut). Very nice quality and looks like it'll last forever. Alan also did special make-up for me in 1 3/8". I'm aware hippie-belts probably shouldn't ought be worn with dress slacks, but it looks so nice, especially paired with a knit tie, that I do anyways:

bgp001

Reaction score
I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on the fit of these Cliftons. I live in Oregon and we don't have an AE here, so Nordstrom it is. However the stores said they only carry D widths. I measured on the AE fit guide to a 11.5C. In store they fit me to a 10.5D in the park avenue. They seemed wide in the heel, so I ordered these 11B cliftons online. There is a little room in the heel, but overall they feel good. Thanks for the help. Once I get a better idea on fit, its on to a pair of black park avenues.

Este's in the Pearl stocks Allen Edmonds if you're looking for somewhere local.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics