Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

Do you find the patriot snug when sizing the same as the strands? My patriots are tight all over except width I would need to wear a thin sock for it to help the tightness. I'm wondering if it is just this particular pair.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Your picture suggests you sized up in length to get the width to fit, with the end result being a shoe that is too long for you. Sizing up in length to get the width to fit is rarely a good idea for the reasons your picture indicates. Better off going with an E width or a shoe on a different last. The Players are on the very narrow 2 last, which does not work for many.

3. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Are they cordovan or calfskin? My 9D cordovans were very tight in the vamp (I'm a spot on 9D with the Park Avenue). Calfskin will stretch out over time but cordovan is a bit trickier. I thought I was doomed because I had worn my patriots about 30 times (I have burgundy and black cordovan) and they were still really tight even though they should have been broken in. I didn't trust the local cobbler that I go to to stretch them out (because cordovan splits so easily), so I went to Nordstrom Rack and picked up a size of L shoe trees. They filled out the toe box just enough so that my shell patriots are ULTRA comfortable now. I think storing shoes will shoes trees that are large is a good and safe option for getting a little extra space out of those loafers.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

it isn't my cup of tea but I have seen far worse in SE La.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I would generally agree with the above. The #2 last is exceptionally narrow. I never did find a size that worked for me. What part of your toe does the crease dig in to?

6. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

[​IMG]

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

They turned out really well, Congrats! I am liking that walnut shell belt, nice touch.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks for taking the time to post this and also to the OP for asking. Next weekend I am in Buffalo then leave to spend a week in Winter Haven to spend time with my mother who is recovering from a major stroke. All these years I had no idea that Andy Thornal & Co. even existed! Now if I can get out of the store with a normal size bag and not pick up another double shotgun or fly rod I will be doing well.

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have the burgundy and brown shell Patriots in 10D which is my normal size on the 5 last and also 1 last. The patriot is the first loafer to ever fit me without my heel coming out of the shoe. My foot is much like yours and in addition a very low volume foot. I wear my superfeet inserts in them and the fit is just about perfect for me. If you have a low to mid volume foot I think they are certainly worth a try.

11. mb0893

mb0893 Active Member

Can anyone identify a good remedy to some spotting on the uppers of shoes, such as this:

[​IMG]

Would this spotting go away over time with shoe cream, or no? I'm not sure if they are much of a big deal to begin with, I would like your guys' opinion.

12. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

The further most crease digs into the bottom of my big toe nail. I called my local Nordstrom's and they have a 10 in stock right now so I'm going to go in after work and try those on. These 10.5s feel like they've definitely stretched out quite a bit, so maybe I can hope for the same with the 10's.

13. WellroundDred

WellroundDred Member

Thanks for your kind words and your welcoming, I definitely appreciate the " props" and I will definitely look into that line of which you have recommended. I really enjoy my shoes. I've been quite busy so I have not had the chance to visit the forum lately.

14. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

They are calf. I also have a 10E patriot calf. It fits somewhat lose with thin socks but medium and loafer socks the fit is great. My only concern is if I go with the 10E that it may get even more lose once broken in.

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

ehhh, I don't know deeselcyde. Again, I think it depends on if it was the width that bothered you about the 10's. If so, it's not a good idea to buy shoes with the hope that they stretch out.

The 2-Last is generally tricky. I'd strongly recommend trying to get the 10's in E rather than trying to make the D work.

All that said, if you get the 10D's and they are tight, you could always stretch them with Meltonian and a stretcher, but I keep thinking that it makes more sense to find the E. Either way, good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.