1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

Thank you, ddahab. This was pretty much my hunch as well. With so much variation in color on a shell, this is not something I should really worry about, but other things equal, it would be nice not to have this variation at the outset. This said, I went ahead and mailed them to Nick V. at B.Nelson. I hope he will be able to offer his help.

2. drcharlie

drcharlie Well-Known Member

The place that charged $17 for plastic heel and toe taps (and made me come back the next day for them) was in the Kroger Plaza at Bartlett Blvd and Stage Road in Bartlett. I think their name is Bartlett Shoe Repair.

The other one is Cobblestone in a plaza off Sanderlin in East Memphis, it is behind a Fox & Hound. I was told you could get toe/heel taps done while you wait--the price was substantially cheaper than the one in Bartlett. At Cobblestone, it was $20 for a Goodyear brand rubber half sole and heel taps. It may have been about $15 for the Goodyear half soles and $5 for the heel taps. They did a good job-much better than I could ever imagine doing myself.

3. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

I'm going to keep them and I know no one will notice but wanted to make sure for firsts people found it acceptable. Thanks and they are really nice looking overall.

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Wingtip balmorals like the McAllister can be pretty dressy. I've worn my Strands (captoe balmoral) with jeans and I like the look, but it's not exactly standard. I really like my (burgundy shell) Kenilworths with jeans, and would highly recommend them. Don't let the reviews bother you too much.

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yes, but which AEs?! Also, did you ask if they were seconds? ;)

6. salgy

salgy Well-Known Member

Thanks... Another good local guy (albeit also out of the way) is nu life shoe repair off summer & waring

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Your stat doctorate qualifies you as an expert on shoe brand quality?

1 person likes this.
  8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I didn't say goodyear welted shoes. I said shoes or even formal footwear. My comparison was AE vs average dress shoe. You're redistributing everything in the 1+ SD above the mean for all formal footwear. Maybe even higher.

In your (different) comparison, I might have to agree, though I don't know enough about the more expensive stuff to lend any expertise.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

Wake up? What got your panties in a wad? I didn't say they were high end, I said they were high end compared to the dress shoes that most guys buy (in the mind of the average man). Most guys would rather spend their money on things other than shoes. I am not one of those guys, and neither are you... good for us. I know Carmina is higher quality than AE, I never said that AE was higher quality than Carmina.

I don't know where or what kind of lifestyle you live, but if it is anything like the Average guy's lifestyle you would know that most of us are perfectly fine with $100 dress shoes, and happen to think $350 for a pair of shoes is simply too expensive.

I didn't think that saying typical guys view AE's as high end shoes would elicit such a response, and I apologize if my words offended you.

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

1) My experience is that the sizing chart is accurate, but nothing beats actually fitting the shoes since there are so many other factors that are not measured by the guide (instep, etc.). Also, there are AE shoes in Rustan's, Makati. I believe they have most of the 5-last styles, but I'm just not sure if they stock on the different widths as well.

2) I have both and I prefer the styling of the Strand more. The McAllister is a very close second.

3) I don't recommend buying second hand shoes especially if it's going to be your first pair. The main reason being you usually can't return pre-owned pairs just because you got the wrong size. Get the size right first and then you can be more adventurous. If you can afford it, just get new pairs -- first or second quality (unless, of course, the style you want is no longer available).

11. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I presume you do not have a doctorate in the shoe manufacturing either. If you looked at the original thread, I simply stated that AE is on the left hand side of the distribution of the quality (which, by the way, is probably not normal, but rather Gamma or Beta, the way I see it), Goodyear welted shoes. Do you think I am not qualified enough to make this statement? If so, I will continue to improve my knowledge.

I strictly mentioned about my background in stats in respect to the following (hope this was not too obnoxious):

Originally Posted by ridethecliche [​IMG]

300+ dollars for shoes is not cheap...Some of the seconds sales like the 2 for 250 etc are probably getting there though.

I don't think you understand how a normal distribution works.

1 person likes this.
  12. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I think we are confusing two quite different things here: shoes in general and Goodyear shoes. These are like comparing apples and oranges. As far as I am concerned, you can't compare AE and Ecco, but you can compare AE and Edward Green.

Yes, AE are expensive compare to Aldo (less so compare to Cole Haan), but they are cheaper than Alden, which, in turn is cheaper than C&J, which, in turn is cheaper than Edward Green and so on.

If we are strictly talking about the Goodyear welted shoes, then AE is probably as low as it gets and $300 is an absolute minimum for the shoes in this league.

1 person likes this.
  13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Anyone who's taken a freshman stat class has an understanding of normal distributions and standard deviations. I was merely commenting that your legitimately impressive overqualification when it comes to the subject of statistics doesn't mean we have to "trust you" and take your shoe brand opinions as gospel.

Wasn't trying to offend; just pointing out that your education isn't exactly applicable.

1 person likes this.
  14. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

You're right. I was just referring to my original statement about the continuum of the Goodyear welted shoes.

15. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

No worries. I was just referring to the issue of distribution, not the quality of shoes, as I have stated clearly.

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I just placed an order for a pair of suede Carmina's that are similar to AE's Strand. With the current free shipping offer, they came to $389 shipped, which is only $70 more than what I would have paid for Strands during the recent sale with sales tax. For me, there was no question the step up in quality was worth an extra $70.

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Doctorate in statistics is badass! I took AP Stats in high school and still find it to one of the most useful classes I ever took as far as applicability to daily life

1 person likes this.
  18. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Which model did you order?

19. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Where are you ordering these Carmina's from? Their website or epaulet?

20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Uh... I think I know a little more about stats than you think I do, but really that wasn't the point.

I do, however, wish that I knew more about stats and programming for stats. It would help a ton with my job planning/running studies.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.