• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogwash

Reaction score

I ordered Bradley shells during the tent sale. As seconds there were a couple minor issues, but the main thing was the right shoe had the dullest leather I've seen. It was like the left was in the warehouse and the right was thrown in a barn for years. It still needs work, but after about 45 minutes of various treatment, it finally started showing a little life. I have Reno on the way and will see how that works too.

The first time I saw the Bradley's, I thought it was somewhat clunky in that older Englishman style, but every time someone posts pictures I like them more and more. I'm pretty sure that this is the post that gets it officially moved to my need to get list. :slayer:

Anyhow, it might just be me, or it may be the lighting, but it almost looks like the left shoe is AE's old burgundy shell color--more maroony, while the shoe on the right is the new burgundy shell color--more black cherryish. Can that be?

John Appleseed

Reaction score
How often can you catch Black Allen Edmonds Fifth/Park Ave.. on sale? I can get a 20% discount through a friend @ nordstom... just wondering if that is good or better deals to be had?

cincikid

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was expecting. Sad, these were the last ones in 9D.

Are they really discontinuing free return shipping though? This will be the second out of five, I'm having to return.
They kept whining they were actually losing money on free returns for a while, although I doubt it. Given that no one can expect what they would get in seconds, I think Shoebank's business model cries for the free shipping both ways. Anyway, just a few days ago during the sale, an associate told me they would be discontinuing free returns soon.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
How often can you catch Black Allen Edmonds Fifth/Park Ave.. on sale? I can get a 20% discount through a friend @ nordstom... just wondering if that is good or better deals to be had?
20% off would be $275 correct? That is a decent deal, as you're getting firsts for the price of factory seconds. I believe FAs/PAs can go as low as $220 during sales, but the large midyear sales for AE are over (AE anniversary and tent sale, Nordstrom half-yearly sale). If you really want them, I'd say go for it.

tampatravel

Reaction score
They kept whining they were actually losing money on free returns for a while, although I doubt it. Given that no one can expect what they would get in seconds, I think Shoebank's business model cries for the free shipping both ways. Anyway, just a few days ago during the sale, an associate told me they would be discontinuing free returns soon.

It certainly stinks, but I don't mind putting a little risk in my court as well...when I order some 2nds. I've always had them tell me they looked the shoes over before they sent them to me. The only time that hasn't happened is when I ordered my RL Sandersons and they came from another store.

Kroaker

Reaction score
20% off would be $275 correct? That is a decent deal, as you're getting firsts for the price of factory seconds. I believe FAs/PAs can go as low as $220 during sales, but the large midyear sales for AE are over (AE anniversary and tent sale, Nordstrom half-yearly sale). If you really want them, I'd say go for it.
Actually, the big Nordstrom sale starts July 19. If you can wait till then, they will probably be more than 20% off.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Actually, the big Nordstrom sale starts July 19. If you can wait till then, they will probably be more than 20% off.
Oops, pardon me. But to best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee the PAs will go on sale (don't believe they did during the half-yearly).

Pastor

Reaction score
I noticed on my shell patriots that the stitching on the sole is coming unraveled in one place where the leather is wore down. It makes sense that this will eventually happen on all AE shoes with an open grove for the stitching but it alarms me a bit. Should I be concerned at all? I'm thinking about going and getting a topy put on them. The shoes are only a few months old and have been worn less than 20 times.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oops, pardon me. But to best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee the PAs will go on sale (don't believe they did during the half-yearly).

This is bad advice on multiple levels. First, as someone else pointed out, the Anniversary sale doesn't even start until July. Second, black Park Avenues have been part of this sale every year for years now. Finally, $275 for Park Avenues is significantly overpaying in light of: (i) the Anniversary sale price in the $200-230 price range; (ii) the ease with which the poster can buy this shoe from Brooks Brothers during any of their frequent 30% off sales, which would place it in the $245 range for firsts; and (iii) the ready availability and frequent sales of seconds that drop them down into the $130 range.

John Appleseed

Reaction score

Thanks for answering that without blasting me I felt like such a troll asking that question but it was legit.

Not sure what FA/PA means but overall sounds like its a good deal so take i'll probably take it.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
This is bad advice on multiple levels. First, as someone else pointed out, the Anniversary sale doesn't even start until July. Second, black Park Avenues have been part of this sale every year for years now. Finally, $275 for Park Avenues is significantly overpaying in light of: (i) the Anniversary sale price in the $200-230 price range; (ii) the ease with which the poster can buy this shoe from Brooks Brothers during any of their frequent 30% off sales, which would place it in the $245 range for firsts; and (iii) the ready availability and frequent sales of seconds that drop them down into the $130 range.
(i) No guarantee that PAs will be on sale (thought it's likely). If he wants them now, I don't honestly see a giant difference between paying 220 and 275.
(ii) BBs current half-yearly prices puts it at exactly the same price as 20% off Nordstrom's. This is going to be BBs biggest sale for a few months. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/mens/...ce-Ups&prefn2=collection&prefv2=Allen Edmonds
(iii) Again, does he want them now or later? Seconds can also be hit or miss, and the returns process eats up time and can be a headache. Though for a model of the PAs popularity, this probably won't be the case.

I was just answering the gentleman's question. If I was offering my advice, I'd say skip the PAs all together and find some AS or C&J benchgrades that have better proportions. Andrew Lock and Meermin are cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for answering that without blasting me I felt like such a troll asking that question but it was legit.

Not sure what FA/PA means but overall sounds like its a good deal so take i'll probably take it.
Fifth Ave/Park Ave

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed on my shell patriots that the stitching on the sole is coming unraveled in one place where the leather is wore down. It makes sense that this will eventually happen on all AE shoes with an open grove for the stitching but it alarms me a bit. Should I be concerned at all? I'm thinking about going and getting a topy put on them. The shoes are only a few months old and have been worn less than 20 times.

I wouldn't stress. They are designed to hold together even after parts of the stitching wear through due to the lock-stitch. In my experience, the stitching usually only wears through in a few areas (like the widest area at the ball of the foot and at the point of the toe) rather then around the entire sole, so it is still going to be held in place by the rest of the stitches that aren't affected. Also, they cement the sole on before they stitch it, so you have another fail-safe in place just in case. Some soles will indeed start to separate some when the stitching is worn through, but it should be the exception to the rule, otherwise this type of shoe construction wouldn't be held in such high esteem.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whoa! I can't say I've ever been so fortunate as to find them that low. The best I've ever seen for PA/FA is $199.00. I am perfectly familiar with plenty of others going for lower, but the PA/FA always seem to be a bit higher when I am shopping. When do you see them get that low? I would whip out the wallet without hesitation at that price.

drbhrb

Reaction score
An update about my wrinkly bourbon strands from a few days ago:

I emailed the pictures to customer service who forwarded it to the AE store I bought them from. They replied saying it did look unusual and I should bring them in. One look and they took them back. The only downside is they didn't have my size in stock anywhere so I'll be out of brown dress shoes for 2 weeks to a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads