• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you use wax to waterproof instead of Alden Leather Defender like Macarther, or maybe Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif] instead. I asked before if they were comparable for shell, but don't believe I heard back. There's also Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Sno Seal, but I'm oblivious as to the differences or which leathers they're suitable for.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]I just received some ALD from J.Crew and plan on using those after treating them with Saphir Cordovan Cream. Separate question: do these sorts of waterproofers prevent further treatments from taking hold? For example, will they be less likely to take conditioners, colored creams, etc.?[/FONT]
I do have Alden Leather Defender also :) I only apply it if there is a good chance of rain. It is very light and doesn't seem to last long at all. Some on here have used Sno Seal on shell but the pictures of their boots after awhile show the toe box liner, it causes something to happen to the shell and I don't care for the look. I use a lot of Obenauf's HDLP but only on chrome tanned cowhide, CXL and my AE Black Hills. It isn't for dress shoes or boots IMO. Old fashioned paste wax helps as much or more than anything IME.

I don't worry so much about the weather and most of my shell. Although I do have a few that will get welts but they always go away after awhile so I am careful of those. I have 2 pair of shell that I wear casually and in rain and mud.

The Patriot's here are still soaked from wearing them in the yard and the boots were worn in the rain and mud shooting sporting clays a couple of weekends ago. But they always clean up well with just normal care of wiping with a damp cloth and then brushing. I have never used any product on these other than Reno.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
I have the Strandmoks in the same size as my Strands (same shoe unlined, and in suede)...not sure about Spaggia...

Thank you. I may have to snag a pair at the current seconds price of $149.

TheSizzle hasn't posted here in almost three months. Strange...
The Sizzle has fizzled.
rimshot.gif

musicboohoo[1].gif

BCer

Reaction score
Thank you. I may have to snag a pair at the current seconds price of $149.

Might be better to just go for the firsts on current clearance on the website for $197! I don't know that I'd risk flaws for $48 difference.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have Alden Leather Defender also :) I only apply it if there is a good chance of rain. It is very light and doesn't seem to last long at all. Some on here have used Sno Seal on shell but the pictures of their boots after awhile show the toe box liner, it causes something to happen to the shell and I don't care for the look. I use a lot of Obenauf's HDLP but only on chrome tanned cowhide, CXL and my AE Black Hills. It isn't for dress shoes or boots IMO. Old fashioned paste wax helps as much or more than anything IME.

I don't worry so much about the weather and most of my shell. Although I do have a few that will get welts but they always go away after awhile so I am careful of those. I have 2 pair of shell that I wear casually and in rain and mud.

The Patriot's here are still soaked from wearing them in the yard and the boots were worn in the rain and mud shooting sporting clays a couple of weekends ago. But they always clean up well with just normal care of wiping with a damp cloth and then brushing. I have never used any product on these other than Reno.

I love how Cold Iron refuses to baby his shell shoes and boots and . . .. restores all of them to their original luster afterwards.

mb0893

Reaction score
Could anyone please reitrate how the 3 and 8 lasts fit? If I'm usually a 9D, would getting that size on a shoe on either last be a good move? I've searched high and low to no avail.

bgp001

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster (this thread is amazing). I need some input from the AE experts!

I ordered a pair of the Brooks Strands and they are a bit rougher than the other seconds I've received. There are little issues like a small cut in the vamp, but the big issue is that there's a big black splotch on the toe of the left shoe. Is there anything that can be done about it, or should I just send it back? I love them and they fit great but that spot is really noticeable in person.

Spex

Reaction score
I have the Fifth St which is the 5-last in a 10.5D. I just bought the Parkway model (3-last) from the tent sale also in a 10.5D, and it fits even better than the Fifth St., as it's a bit wider. And here they are:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Fifth St which is the 5-last in a 10.5D. I just bought the Parkway model (3-last) from the tent sale also in a 10.5D, and it fits even better than the Fifth St., as it's a bit wider. And here they are:

Good looking shoes and boots.

cincikid

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster (this thread is amazing). I need some input from the AE experts!

I ordered a pair of the Brooks Strands and they are a bit rougher than the other seconds I've received. There are little issues like a small cut in the vamp, but the big issue is that there's a big black splotch on the toe of the left shoe. Is there anything that can be done about it, or should I just send it back? I love them and they fit great but that spot is really noticeable in person.

I don't think you can fix it and given that it is perhaps in the worst possible spot, it will keep annoying you for as long as you will be wearing the shoes. I'd send them back to the Shoebank while they still have a free return shipping (I was told the other day, they will discontinue it soon) and get another pair.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone needs to do an MTO for the fifth street in shell

shartmann

Reaction score
Someone needs to do an MTO for the fifth street in shell
They offered it in black and burgundy last year and I know some folks have posted pics. But it would be great to see in walnut or cappuccino too.

bgp001

Reaction score
I don't think you can fix it and given that it is perhaps in the worst possible spot, it will keep annoying you for as long as you will be wearing the shoes. I'd send them back to the Shoebank while they still have a free return shipping (I was told the other day, they will discontinue it soon) and get another pair.
Yeah, that's what I was expecting. Sad, these were the last ones in 9D.

Are they really discontinuing free return shipping though? This will be the second out of five, I'm having to return.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Cali all week for work...

Downside is that I cannot see the walnut shell Daltons sitting at my house

Upside is double double animal style :)

WiredandTired

Reaction score
In Cali all week for work...

Downside is that I cannot see the walnut shell Daltons sitting at my house

Upside is double double animal style
smile.gif

I have a fondness for San Francisco, and In and Out. I also happen to be dieting. That's about the last thing I wanted to see.

Awaiting delivery of my Daltons as well.

Enjoy and travel safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads