Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I found that to be a bit "beneath" Leffot.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I don't get the appeal of cordovan. I'd rather get the lindrick in calf than the cordovan option.

To each his own though.

3. BCer

BCer Senior member

[​IMG]

For fun, thought I'd post a pic of my Cronmoks today in action. Mostly more formal around here, thought if mix it up a bit! Comfy as slippers.

4. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

I ordered Bradley shells during the tent sale. As seconds there were a couple minor issues, but the main thing was the right shoe had the dullest leather I've seen. It was like the left was in the warehouse and the right was thrown in a barn for years. It still needs work, but after about 45 minutes of various treatment, it finally started showing a little life. I have Reno on the way and will see how that works too.
    [​IMG]

5. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice Patriots, C.I. - enjoy FL.
    Thank you - it indeed went well. I have these and Leeds in black shell, and I agree about needing more. I have started using Kiwi Select on them after I remove the cream, and results are very good.
    Nice looking shoes. Keep at it with a damp rag and a horsehair brush, you will get them gleaming yet! The renovateur will add shine and nourish the leather too - good luck!

Today's shoes: Patriot's older brothers, the Randolph:
    [​IMG]

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for the response and the generous offer! I'll be PM'ing you soon.

Interesting that you use wax to waterproof instead of Alden Leather Defender like Macarther, or maybe Saphir Super Invulner Waterproofing Spray[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif] instead. I asked before if they were comparable for shell, but don't believe I heard back. There's also Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP and Sno Seal, but I'm oblivious as to the differences or which leathers they're suitable for.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]I just received some ALD from J.Crew and plan on using those after treating them with Saphir Cordovan Cream. Separate question: do these sorts of waterproofers prevent further treatments from taking hold? For example, will they be less likely to take conditioners, colored creams, etc.?[/FONT]

7. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

I like the simplicity of it certainly wouldn't drop $120 bucks. Im going to my workshop and make one from veg tan . see how it works out . If I like it i can order a shell from horween .

8. MoneyWellSpent

That's pretty much my point. I like the simplicity of it as well (assuming it really works and doesn't just flop open in your pocket), but the price is pretty hilarious considering what you are getting.

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Paging 'TheSizzle' (or anyone else who owns both shoes)...did you get the same size in the Spiaggia as the Strand?

10. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...love those burgundy "Kennies."

11. MoneyWellSpent

TheSizzle hasn't posted here in almost three months. Strange...

12. BCer

BCer Senior member

I have the Strandmoks in the same size as my Strands (same shoe unlined, and in suede)...not sure about Spaggia...

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The Sizzle has fizzled. [​IMG]

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Try new SF affilliate vendor Gentlemens Footwear. The owner has mentioned that he sells Saphir products for the normal $19-23 price, but with free shipping. I haven't ordered from them yet, but will in the future, now that Hanger Project has upped their free shipping minimum to $75.

And, yes, I have used the Saphir cordovan care cream (burgundy) on a pair of longwings that had finishing issues, which it resolved. I also bought the brown, but tend to use the neutral cordovan care cream on all my brown shell to care for it and help bring out the shine.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Very nice! Keep at it looks like they are coming along nicely. A hint for when you get the Reno... Don't go outside to brush and treat them with the jar of open Reno below you. When a drop of sweat falls off your chin because your brushing so much it will land in the open jar of Reno 100% of the time ;-)
    Now that I finally have a couple pairs of shell loafers you are causing me loafer envy bucksfan. They look Great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.