Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I have the Cordovan tab belts in black and burgundy. By far the nicest belts that I own and are of very high quality. Buy without fear.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

So I'm actually getting around to buy some cordovan polish to hopefully minimize the blotches on my burgundy shell Kenilworths, and am deciding between 3 options:

1. Saphir Cordovan Shoe Polish (Cordovan) was recommended by New Shoes1, but it costs $34.50 shipped and I'm a little unsure whether it'll match the new AE burgundy well. But it boasts being turpentine free.
    2. AE Cordovan Care Cream (Burgundy) is only $8 shipped and almost certainly matches correctly. Well, unless it's formulated for the old burgundy instead of the new? Also, I'm less sure about the ingredients.
    3. Alden Paste Wax (Color #8) is $5.50 shipped, but I'm unsure whether it's for shell cordovan or is just a standard calfskin paste wax in "Color 8 Cordovan" color. Either way, it sounds too waxy for shell.

Can anyone else personally attest to one verses the other?

New Shoes1, have you tried both? I know you wouldn't just mindlessly push Saphir products, would you? [​IMG]

3. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure because on their shoe descriptions they usually go into a little more detail on the leather.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    If you are going to be investing into several Saphir products, such as Saphir Cordovan Polish, Saphir Renovateur, a good polishing bone, and quality horsehair brush - then you can save on shipping by combining your purchases to $75.

More importantly, you definitely need the Saphir Color Guide (see below) which has each color printed in gloss, and all you do is match the shoe up under the perforated hold of the color for an exact match. The color guide is good for all shell and calfskin leathers.

[​IMG]

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

My main issue with AE belts is that they are a bit in the wide/clunky side to be considered good formal belts. They work better on the more casual side of the spectrum.

6. Kave

Kave Member

They make a narrow dress belt that is not even an inch wide if that is what you are looking for.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It looks like they've finally figured out what to do with those shell samples and scraps. I knew it was just a matter of time. This looks like one of the biggest wastes of money I've seen around here in a while. [​IMG] Watch the little video... all they are doing is "wrapping" the money and credit cards with the cordovan that's been cut into a 'T' shape.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/wallets/billfold-small.html

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you have a link? I found a dress bridle and wide basic dress, but no narrow dress belt.

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I wouldn't feel secure putting anything in there.

10. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Leffot has been selling those for quite a while now. Not something I would want to get, but there are people out there who REALLY can't get enough of shell cordovan.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Actually, I looked at that, and it's not good for their shell polish. In particular, their "Cordovan (71)" color is not anywhere on that chart. And in order to get the chart before buying polish, I'd have to pay $19.34 shipped. And even after that, none of the other burgundy'ish colors on the chart are available in their shell polish. So if I found that "Hermes Red (12)" was what I wanted, I wouldn't be able to do anything with that information.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looking great bucksfan! Hope the inaugual wearing went well for you. I really like mine and everytime I wear them reminds me that I need more black shell.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yeah, that's what I've now heard. Strange that I've somehow missed them, because I frequently check Leffot's website (nearly every day).

14. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

Is this considered marketing?

"your cash is snugly secured in horse ass leather for safekeeping"

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Last week as soon as my burgundy shell Patriots came I put them on. 10 minutes later it a downpour started and I ran out to the deck to bring in the cushions. As soon as I got back inside I took a rag and wiped my shoes down and the AE Cream came off with the rag.... So I did my standard stripping and applying Saphir cordovan cordovan cream. In 2 weeks I will be going to Fl. for a week and will wear my burgundy Patriots every day, and they WILL get wet this time of year. So I applied 1 coat of Saphir mahogany #9 wax on top of the cream. I don't buy the turpentine damage to shell thing, Reno has it and so does VC. From this point forward I will only put cream on them when badly scuffed. And use Kiwi Select (which is what Alden wax is) black paste wax maybe twice a year if needed.
    [​IMG]
    Not a great picture but I happen to be wearing them today.

Couple of weeks ago I ordered the brown cordovan cream and Kirby sent me another cordovan instead. I don't have any need for 2 as one will last me a lifetime. If you want send me a PM and I will send it to you. Saphir cordovan cream is much better than the AE cordovan cream and actually soaks in a bit more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.