1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calidist

calidist Senior member

I asked for a brown shell belt as well when I placed my MTO orders yesterday and she also told me that Paul is not permitting them to do any non-stock belts. She did say that now that brown shell is a "stock" cordovan color for them (I though it was previously a stock color) that there is a good chance they will release a brown cordovan tab belt in the near future. I told her to add me to the tally of folks requesting the belt. I would encourage folks to contact her if you are interested in that belt. Maybe we can hit a critical mass.

2. lostron

lostron Senior member

Yeah, this is a tough one.. They are great shows but might not be a good for for you and wearing them will not change the gap.

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

I have asked her twice about three different MTO belts, all of which have been turned down. [​IMG]

4. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

You can always use a tongue bad, thats what i ended up doing with my MTO McAllisters. Although since yours are web gems, returning them may be ok. The only issue is there is no guarantee the next pair will be better.

A sales associate told me that because they are hand made, sizing may not always be exact. Not sure how true that is… I guess get sized in the actual shoe (if you haven't already) and ask for a new pair.

5. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

If they are seconds, then def no guarantee the next pair will be better. When buying seconds, I sometimes purchase a couple pairs at same size, and return the worst pair. If they are firsts, I think the "gapping" is not acceptable.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Brushing my Dundees for the first time today and the shell is getting these crazy rough spots. Anyone seen this before??

[​IMG]

7. Jeweler

Jeweler Member

Some great new webgems are coming out.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I had a very similar issue with my brown shell Strands and I have been struggling to find an answer myself.

9. Jeweler

Jeweler Member

10. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

Brushing my Dundees for the first time today and the shell is getting these crazy rough spots. Anyone seen this before??

---------------------

I have had the same issue with my Townley's in Shell. I can say it looked better after using Reno Mat but is still there. Even if I look at my Alden PTBs they have it too but its less noticeable. I would guess this will go away with time and brushing.

11. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

OK...so who are we going to nominate to have Allison's contact info in their signature on here? I'm thinking RTP, Rydenfan, or Tifosi :)

12. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

Quick! Brown Mora 2.0 or White/Walnut Broadstreet??? I only have two hours left!

13. Jeweler

Jeweler Member

You can call Jeffersonville still tomorrow. They will usually honor sale prices a day or so after a sale.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

This is only one shoe and some Renovateur...

[​IMG]

15. evolved

evolved Senior member

Geez.....that's pretty concerning. Let us know how you go about remedying that issue.

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Yes, I have seen it on a few shoes, but it went away when I applied Renvovateur or Saphir cordovan cream. Not sure if I was brushing too hard or the shell was dry, but this took care of it. I've never had it happen to a brand new pair of shoes, though, as it has always happened after the brushing has removed all the factory polish.

17. BCer

BCer Senior member

edit

18. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I've found that a deer bone can help in this situation. Mine do it sometimes too.

1 person likes this.
  19. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Yup. I have them in black already.

20. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Even though I was busy traveling for the last month, I managed to get in on the $299 shell seconds to grab some Burgundy Cordovan Patriots.

My first question regards fit. I'm an 8.5D/E in the 5-65 last and a 9D in the 1-511 (Shelton and Finch saddle shoes) and 2592 (Center Fielder and Harbour boat shoes). I went with the 8.5D on the advice of the sales associate because he thought without laces to tighten, you want to make sure it isn't too loose. I think this is the right size for me, but I'm having trouble confirming. When barefoot, they a little snug but not bad. The heel doesn't slip, but it's also not tight on the heel. They even feel pretty good with thin socks on. I think after stretching out a tiny bit, they might be perfect. However, when I try to wear loafer socks with them, the ridge of the socks under the vamp really digs into my instep. I guess my question is, should I abandon the idea of using loafer socks with these? I worry about destroying expensive shoes with unguarded foot sweat.

Second, I had some questions about their quality. Yes, these are seconds, but I'm trying to decide if it's worth the restocking fee to try to look for better ones. My first showstopper concern was this huge block splotch on the outside of the right shoe:

[​IMG]

Luckily, to my amazement, I was able to scrape part off with my fingernail. I then used a cotton cloth with Conditioner/Cleaner to remove the rest, and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

So far so good. I did notice that the left shoe is noticeably lighter, but that's the sort of "seconds" blemish I think I can live with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final problem is the one I'm most concerned about. I noticed that both shoes have significant pitting on the toes, just in front of where the first crease would go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this at all normal? I was surprised that they both have it in the same place. Could this actually be some physical damage? Any chance I could work on them and clear it up? The pits actually look big enough that I don't see a good way I could fix it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice. Also, it's good to be back!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.