Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    You have a good eye.

I just looked at the archived website copies for Allen Edmonds, and it appears the old price for Park Avenues from about that time were hovering around $325 to $335 . . . which may have accounted for the Nordstrom of $199 to $211. Although the sale price this year may be $229, the difference of $29 may be the hard cash difference of the retail shoe going up to $345.

I also just looked at the price stickers on AE boxes for my 1999 versions of the Safford . . and was amazed to find them at $99 a pair (which may have been seconds back then.

Either way a 35% discount on firsts in selected styles for any color and any size is still a bargain these days.

Another site for firsts in limited sizes and colors in selected styles is www.6pm.com - with up to over 40% off!

2. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

^ for those that don't know, 6pm.com is the clearance site for Zappos.com. Very legitimate site, bargains to be had.

3. Dnslater

Dnslater Well-Known Member

I would keep them. Assuming you plan to wear them they will eventually have imperfections.

4. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Is that true? Any COLOR? I thought it was just the colors they were promoting (from what I've heard). In the past I haven't paid much attention to Nordstroms shoe sales [​IMG]

5. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I plan to buy new walnut McAllisters (9.5D) and a walnut dress belt (36) soon - when will the best time for me to buy? Zero rush, so if it saves me some money I'll wait a few months.

6. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

If you look couple of posts above yours (by LaymanX), there is a sale coming up and McAllisters expected (we are all hoping but its not official yet) when you can save as much as $100.
    If not, during Oct AE will have yearly sale,with limted models, you can save the same amount.

Source: I bought PA in that sale last October for $235.
    HTH

7. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

I can get Westchesters and Nuemoras for $199 as seconds. In your guys opinion would it be worth it to pay $50 more to get them in firsts? I've had good experience this far buying seconds but trying to decide if $50 is worth it to get firsts.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Can you afford the extra money? I don't know your financial situation, but $50 is not much difference for a shoe that you will have many years. Considering that most seconds are just fine, I can't see spending the extra money.

9. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

Are AE belts made with the same quality and care as their shoes?

The reason I ask is that I know a lot of companies in other fields will have their main line of products as their pride and joy, and then peddle second-rate s&^% on the side with their name branded on it just to make a little extra profit. I'm looking at some of AE's casual belts right now and all I see in the description is "Premium Leather" which is a red flag to me...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

E makes their own belts from the same leathers as their shoes.

11. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Yes, I can afford $50 more but just because I can doesn't mean I have to. For $50 though I think is rather get firsts to ensure I have a warranty of some sort

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's a personal choice. You can return the seconds, but there's no guarantee you can find a better pair. With first quality, you can ask for a different pair if needed. Whether first quality or seconds, AE provides very good customer service.

13. facet

facet Senior member

I have had one of their Bombay belts in walnut for a couple years now. It's held up impressively well compared to my other belts and they're definitely not second rate.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Get the firsts. $50 is nothing considering the projected life of the shoes.

I have seen plenty of bad seconds (and some good ones, of course, too).

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have found AE's belts to be of very decent quality. Wore an AE walnut calf belt today with a pair of EG's in Edwardian Antique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.