• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbromarshall

Reaction score
Thanks guys - when looking online I have only been able to find 9.5D and 10 D so my concern as a half size and EEE is that I would have to be in the 10D range in order for the shoes to have a shot at working for me.

Since I own the AE Bel Air in walnut I have been leaning to the Sanderson in brown to fill a hole in my current line up, but I am not opposed to the tan if they are great shoes.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Wore my Cambridges yesterday: Wearing my brown shell Patriots today:
You have some nice shoes there. I have a pair of older Cambridges that have aged nicely with time. I am not nearly as big of a fan of the new AE Burgundy shell color. It almost looks like a cooked lobster to me. Nothing like Alden's eggplant Color 8... I got to say that the Patriot brown is rather splendid.

pkiula

Reaction score

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those would be any of the way leathers in the rough collection. Neumok, Elgin, Ridgeway, McTavish, Sedona. Those should all be Dublin.

The entire rough collection isn't made of Dublin. Dublin was one of the predominant leathers used when the Rough Collection initially launched in 2011, but since then it has branched out into other leather sources. I don't pretend to know what they are. Allen Edmonds won't say what all of them are, but looking at many of them in person will show that they are made of different types of leathers. The Neumok and the Sedona are definitely not Dublin. The Tan Finch, Natural Dornoch, Natural and Cognac McTavish, Cognac Ridgeway, and Cognac Rapid City certainly are (as well as the Tan Nashua Tassel Loafer, which isn't part of the Rough Collection). The Elgin and Stewart were made from the same leather, and they have a decidedly different finish than Dublin.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to clean up some shoes that don't see much wear in preparation of thinning the herd a bit. These have been boxed up for the better part of two years now.

I gave them both a good brushing, some AE cream polish and a bit of wax on the toes and heel counters.

Manhattan wholecut in chili:

Westchester in walnut. If only these fit me better...

Those are both very good looking shoes.

David Copeland

Reaction score
I've been eyeing them all week too. I prefer the dalton and is going to try and hold out for the Nordstrom sale. I hope David is right about what models are gonna be available.

Me too. I saw the long branch on clearance and but want Dalton, so holding out. Lets see....

I don't think you will be disappointed.

All my best,

David

Bought my Long Branches 2 weeks ago, and the store just credited me back the difference between what I paid and the new Clearance price ($103 savings)

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They look like AE burgundy to me. The conditions in which the pictures were taken can have a dramatic effect on how they look. As was also mentioned, they may very well have faded but I'd guess its more a result of an overexposed, slightly washed out, low contrast image.
Strange that this would happen. I've usually been pretty pleased with how true to life the pictures that Hitch and Post has on their eBay listings, but I agree that the pictures are probably skewed by the lighting in these pictures.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Brooks Brothers branded Allen Edmonds shoes made with the same last? I ordered a pair of Fifth Avenue rebrands ($280, called Perforated Captoes), and I'm wondering whether they'll be the same as the Park Avenues I already have. Will I be able to use the AE brown shoe polish and cedar shoe trees?

I noticed after ordering them that the soles are different so it made me wonder whether there are other differences. Also, are these eligible for AE refurbishment?

Read through these posts and see if they help regarding the differences between the BB branded AE's and the regular production AE's.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/13400_100#post_5967366

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/17800_100#post_6231580

The answer to all of your other questions is yes. They are made on the same lasts, they will recraft them, you can use whatever brown polish you like, and you can use AE's cedar shoe trees.

bucksfan

Reaction score
You have some nice shoes there. I have a pair of older Cambridges that have aged nicely with time. I am not nearly as big of a fan of the new AE Burgundy shell color. It almost looks like a cooked lobster to me. Nothing like Alden's eggplant Color 8...

I got to say that the Patriot brown is rather splendid.

Thank you, I like the "old" burgundy for the less formal shoes, new burgundy is very nice for more formal shoes. You are right, it's not the same as #8 but at least the pair I have has nice coloration.

Very nice!
Thanks!

Today: inaugural wearing of my new black shell Park Avenues:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I like the "old" burgundy for the less formal shoes, new burgundy is very nice for more formal shoes. You are right, it's not the same as #8 but at least the pair I have has nice coloration.

Thanks!

Today: inaugural wearing of my new black shell Park Avenues:

They look great!

deeselcyde

Reaction score
Do these minor defects warrant a return for a different pair?

Also, on the toe of the other foot. I think the shoe shine guy can take this one out though.

Fabian43

Reaction score
Kristle from J'Ville outlet asked me to post this list. These are new outlet pricing for 2nds given the clearance reduction for 1st's on AE website.

New Markdown’s 2nd Quality only

Aberdeen $159 - Dk Brown Grain, Smokey Grey & Tan Dublin
Ashbury $159 - Brown & Teak Distressed
Brady $199 - Tan, Navy Raffia
Bruce $159 - Walnut Saddle
Cahill $199 - Black & Walnut
Chukkamok $149 - Tan, Navy & Tan Suede
Flagstaff teak $99 - Teak Distressed
Highway 1 $99 - Black & Mocha
Jermyn $199 - Black & Walnut & Brown
Kenwood brown $109 - Dk Brown Saddle
Larchmont brown $199 - Dk Chocolate
Long Branch brown $199 - Brown Waxy
McTavish Brown distressed $199 - Brown Distressed & Smokey Grey
Naismith $109 - Orange Basketball Grain
Neumora $199 - Black & Brown
Park Avenue $199 - Granite Grey
Parkway $199 - Granite Grey & Black Grain
Port Washington $99 - Brown Distressed, Blue, Green, Tan, Red, Orange, Black
Preston $109 - Black & Dk Brown Saddle
Randolph chili grain $199 - Chili Grain
Sedona $99 - Brown, Blue, Tan, Olive & Red
Spiaggia $149 - Navy Suede & White Nubuck
Strawfut $199 - Brown/Navy Mesh & Brown Linen
Tampa $99 - Black & Brown Croc
Westchester $199 - Walnut, Black & Brown
Westchester Cordovan $399 - Burgunday Cordovan
Whitefish Bay $199 - Tan, Navy, Orange & Green

David Copeland

Reaction score
Kristle from J'Ville outlet asked me to post this list. These are new outlet pricing for 2nds given the clearance reduction for 1st's on AE website.

New Markdown’s 2nd Quality only

Long Branch brown $199 - Brown Waxy
Park Avenue $199 - Granite Grey

The Park Avenues may very well be on sale very soon as "firsts" for an extra $29 approximate.

The Long Branch Boots, which I just bought, are on sale at AE as firsts for an extra $48 (around $247)

Thanks for keeping us all updated, Fabian.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Park Avenues may very well be on sale very soon as "firsts" for an extra $29 approximate.

The Long Branch Boots, which I just bought, are on sale at AE as firsts for an extra $48 (around $247)

Thanks for keeping us all updated, Fabian.

Black Park Avenues and Walnut Strands are the only two constants for every Anniversary sale. Got mine for $199 each two years ago, but sounds like Nordstrom is raising their usual sale prices if they will now be $228 each.

Thanks for this David! Much appreciated. I'll keep lurking and waiting for my precious Delray's to go on sale. One day.. one day.

AE puts Delrays on sale every Fall somewhere in the range of $220-240.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads