1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schweezly

schweezly Active Member

It wasn't, but I can let you know in the next day or two. I ordered the 10D because it's the last day of the sale and I had the 20% off at Amazon.

That might not help you though...since the sale ends today

2. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I have a few questions regarding MTO's.

- On an MTO we can choose any sole for the same cost. How would this work with the Strand? I want the Strand in brown with a v tread sole, but it is $50 extra on the website. Can I order through Allison to avoid that charge or would I need to have something unique and non stock about the shoe?

- What additions can be added to a brown McAllister for free to most closely match the Jefferson?

Thanks, hope they aren't too stupid/noob like.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I checked with Steve at Leffot, and he suggested once every couple of months.

1 person likes this.
  4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

The price gets changed by your choice between calf or cordovan uppers. Nothing else changes the cost. Since you are going through Allison as a StyleForum member, they are waiving the MTO fee, thus saving you the added charges you see on their website. If they stock the materials, they will use them for you on your shoe. You aren't constrained to the same rules/choices/options that you see on their MTO page. The only exceptions, as far as I know, are when someone requests something that isn't feasible from a construction standpoint (like switching lasts, which may throw off the dimensions of the shoe and waste everyone's time and money).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Thank you MWS. My main concern was that since the Strand with a V Tread sole can be purchased from their site, without even going into the MTO section, that they may say it's basically a stock shoe when trying ordering through Allison and tell me to just order from the webpage.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The guy down the hall showed up today in a dark gray (just a touch ligher than charcoal) suit with the same light tan venetian loafers he wears all the time with chinos that have likely never seen a coat of polish. He normally wears an older pair of Kenneth Cole or Ecco square toe black shoes with suits, so I think this was an attempt to dress more stylishly. Aye, aye, aye. I've regularly mentored him on more job related items, but am not touching this issue with a ten foot pole.

7. motosacto

motosacto Well-Known Member

Just a heads-up--DSW has Ralph Lauren Sanderson (long wing) and Stratford (monk strap) shoes in a fair number of sizes. I just ordered a pair of "coffee" Sandersons for $230 with discount. I think that's a pretty good deal...

8. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Tampatravel - are those size 10's? If so, I came very close to pulling the trigger on them. I already have a pair of shell saddles but those were so sweet I was tempted to bid anyway. Glad to see they went to a fellow SF member. Nice pickup.

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Finally decided to do an MTO... Appreciate if someone can PM me Allison's contact info.

Thanks in advance!

10. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Just ordered my last MTO - burgundy shell Lexington with natural split reverse welt and natural edge dressing.

11. green garden

green garden Senior member

This is from the AE site:

"Allen Edmonds shoes come in lengths from 6-16. Each half size increases by approximately one-sixth of an inch and each full size increases by one-third of an inch. The widths of Allen Edmonds shoes range from AAA, the narrowest width, to EEE, the widest width, with a D width considered medium. Technically speaking, each width increases by approximately three-sixteenths of an inch in total girth."

I knew I read this once and guessed it was in the All about Last page.

12. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I was actually wondering the width difference between say a 10D and a 9.5D, not a 10D and 10E.

I do appreciate the information though.

13. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Unfortunately, there is no specific reference to the OP's original question (e.g. if you go from a 10D to a 9.5D, what if any width decrease takes place).

I'd suggest interpreting the very last chart on their fit guide to determine how width correlates to size.

14. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I didn't realize AE Conditioner/Cleaner isn't recommended for shell. The description of CC says "Recommended use on Calfskin and other fine leathers", but that's vague. However, I did just find that AE's shell care video specifically mentions it for heavier cleaning.

Any specific reason you don't recommend CC on shell? I do have a small amount of Renovateur, but I figured if I'm going to but stripping over and over, I'd rather use something cheaper if it's still suitable.

15. green garden

green garden Senior member

Based on my experience it is size up width down, and vice-versa. So a 10D would be equivalent width to a 9.5E. Corollary, a 9.5D would be equivalent in width to 10C. So from the site explanation, it is 3/16 inch difference in girth.

This is comparing the same last of course.

16. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Ah, I see what you are saying now. I apologize. In this instance, I would hope they would waive the cost. I'm not positive of that, however. It's worth checking with Allison to see, since that $50 charge is covering a "custom" modification, it seems that they should waive it for the SF offer if you ask me.

17. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

They're 12D's and they're on my feet today in Philly. I'm on the road and these are some great kicks. I'm thinking of dropping them off for a recraft at the Philly AE store, but I think they have many more miles on them to be honest.

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Those look fantastic, Ryden!

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

They should waive the $50. I just placed an MTO for a boot that is out of size range (which normally incurrs the $50 charge). Allison waived that charge with the SF MTO deal.

20. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Sandy, the head of AE's recrafting department, recently confirmed for me that you can use the Conditioner/Cleaner on shell, but she mentioned that it will take of the patina as well as any buildup. It is, indeed, for "heavier cleaning."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.