Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I purchased the last Verona in my size from the Italian collection awhile back and the left shoe had 3 bumps in the footbed. One was very large and painful so I returned them.
    Kirby has a chart on his website matching colors to Allen Edmonds shoes: http://www.hangerproject.com/blog/allen-edmond-shoe-polish-colors IME yes if you want a deeper red the Bordeaux would be the best match.
    LOL yep nice shot of the Patriot! I wear my brown shell Patriot's without socks too, first time in my life I have gone sockless. And now understand it.... My burgundy shell Patriot's came yesterday and are just slightly larger and fit better with socks so they will be my "dressier" loafer, which is what I wanted.

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

While I don't go completely without socks I do like the look. This is why I started looking for loafer sock. Here is what works for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARHJTGC/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the Sperry version as well but they did not work at all.

Here they are in action today (albeit on a pair of sand suede Aldens). You can't even tell I have them on.
    [​IMG]

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Crazy, isn't it? I took a day off with a 20 post lead over Money Well Spent and come back to find him with a five post lead. Just sitting down now to catch up on yesterday's events.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think the delay is due to AE trying to find a horse large enough to make those size 16 gunboats that Random Adam ordered. [​IMG]

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I suspect this is intentional and AE is simply testing your worthiness, along the lines of the princess and the pea.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think the problem is this shoe does not fit your foot properly. It strikes me as odd to see such significant bowing on an 8 last shoe. It also looks like you have a wider foot and may have sized up in order to accommodate that.

7. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Do you get a pair of insoles for each shoe? Also, will they affect the breaking in of the sole? Should you break them in first and then insert the insole?

8. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

I tried a 10 D and it felt too small. The problem with Nordstrom's is they only carry D width.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

It may be that the 8 last does not work for your foot due to its narrowness. I have come to this conclusion with regard to my own feet. I would do two things: (i) go to AE to get sized; and (ii) if this is your correct size, have Nordstrom exchange them for a non-defective pair. If they are the right size, then something is wrong with the shoes because it looks like they are bowing excessively while you are simply standing still and not flexing. I can only imagine how severe the bowing will be when you walk and the shoe flexes. I get some bowing in all my 5 last shoes when I walk, but not when I am just standing still.

10. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

To me, at least, much of the point of buying Allen Edmonds shoes is that they're available in upwards of an astonishing NINE different widths for each size. Much as some folks here might praise Nordstrom, I'm inclined to believe many salesmen would much rather sell what they have than gamble on ordering what they don't normally stock. Sure, D width is right there in the middle of the bell curve, but you might be something different.

The shoe might be quite comfortable... but a different width/length combination might be even more so, while eliminating the bowing. If it were me I'd take them back.

11. poena

poena Senior member

I have a lot of bowing on my AE strands. They are a year old and maybe only worn about 5-10 times. I never thought anything of it until seeing these pics and realizing mine are worse.

I bought them from Nordstrom at least a year ago. Is there anything I can do at this point? :confused:

12. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

I may have to make the 70 mile trek to South Coast Plaza.
    I've returned about 5-6 pairs of shoes in the last 5 months due to defects and improper sizing....they've never questioned me. One pair was a pair of Strands that I wore about 10 times as well. The worst they can say is NO.

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Shined up my burgundy shell leeds over the weekend (well, not really shined, just brushed):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wore my Cambridges yesterday:
    [​IMG]

Wearing my brown shell Patriots today:
    [​IMG]

14. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

Quote:That burgundy shell is absolutely beautiful! Makes me a little jealous; wearing my burgundy calfskin Scottsdales for the first time today. I had to do a double take on your socks in the Patriots picture after are all the sockless pictures recently.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Nordstrom has a no questions asked return policy. Some people take advantage of it, but you can definitely return those with no issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.