Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suit Up

Suit Up Member

Well evil, if the Kenilworth Bourbon is indeed Busnished Walnut, I'll be in heaven because that's exactly what I'm looking to get! I just got a little nervous earlier when I searched Kenilworth Bourbon in google and came across this horrid greenish dark brown color...

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

2. Flokk

Flokk Active Member

+1 on the Connecticut Avenue store. The service and conversation I had with Brian was impeccable. Perhaps they get so many suits/names/loaded tourists there that the salesmen are fat and happy and relaxed, which reflects on the store atmosphere and service. Whatever the case, it's an excellent little shop.

3. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Hi guys,
    First post to the forum.

I ordered two pairs (10.5 D's) of AE's from Nordstroms during the sale (Walnut PLAYERS and Black CLIFTONS). I received the Cliftons today and have a couple questions:

Is this loose stitching a defect? It's consistent on both sides of both shoes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Is there too much room in the ankles? I returned a pair of Strands because they looked too loose, similar to these. NOTE: I have very flat feet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

For the love of Pete, please put some socks on! Lol. I'll let others with better fit knowledge have a go at this. J

5. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

It was too hard to see the gap with socks on.

I am partial to socks though, lol.

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

7. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

They look loose....can you put some socks on a tighten them up a little to make it comfortable?

I would't worry about the stitching, I have that on some AEs and it's OK.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

8. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

That's the thing....they are already super comfortable (just as comfortable with socks) but I don't want to spend a pretty penny on some shoes when they flare out in the ankle like that and "look bad". These and the Player's I ordered will be my first dress shoes/most expensive shoes I own. I showed concern at Nordstrom's when trying on the walnut pair in my size and the manager pulled up his pant legs and showed me his small gap on his outer heel. However, the other guy working there was wearing some Player's and he had none of that.

9. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

The gap is a bit much, but if you have socks on and tighten the laces a little more it might be fine. Try that and post another pic if you can.

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

As a fellow flat foot, I will tell you that some bowing is to be expected even if you don't see it in other make ups on the same last. In most cases, properly fitted jeans or trousers will cover that part of the shoe. The most important aspect is whether or not the shoes fit comfortably. If they fit well and you don't have excessive heel slip, don't worry about it and enhoy the shoes.

11. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

I received the Cliftons today and so far in the 20 minutes I've had them they are super comfortable (more comfortable than the strands I had for 2 weeks).

I'll post some pics with socks on.

12. deeselcyde

deeselcyde Active Member

Here are some with socks. No heel slippage at all. Very comfy. Also, can anyone comment on the loose stitching from my first post?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

If you purchased those shoes from Nordstrom, then yes, that would be considered a defect and I would request a prompt exchange.

14. mkevin

mkevin New Member

I'm about to order a pair of the Boca Ratons off of the AE website. I haven't been able to actually try on a pair though as there isn't a store that carries them anywhere around me. I did try on both the Strand and the Clifton though (in 10D) and the Strand was too narrow but the Clifton fit well. Does anyone have experience to compare the width of the Boca Ratons with the width of either the Strand or the Clifton? Do the Boca Ratons fit similarly to either of these shoes?

Thanks!

15. rollinsay

rollinsay Active Member

I've got a question about sizing for the Dundees. I have a pair of McAllister on the 5 last in 10E that fit me well. Would you size the Dundees the same? Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.