1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

They were discontinued seconds. They were selling them first quality earlier on for $175. Yeah, they came with the tan laces, and I may put those back on-- but they felt too casual, too much like a bowling shoe. Here's a pic that someone else posted:[​IMG]

I need to fill a spot in my wardrobe that's a tad bit dressier.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

Looking at around $500, if I get a sale all the better. Peal Straight Captoe Blucher, looks like a somewhat rounded too. AE Rutledge looks nice, but the second patch of leather is a little off compared to the PA, the brouging can work for my more formal shoe.

Good point need to try them on yet, I really like Santoni's but they seem a little too stylish for my black formal shoe.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Don't know about the calf Daltons but I have the walnut shell Daltons and shell & calf Leeds. Yes the Dalton has a much wider fit in the toebox. And mine are huge in the heel area. The large heel area issue seems to be common with the shell Dalton's but haven't heard anything about it in the calf version.

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Thanks, I should have specified, I meant the calf version. Trying to decide between a 10 and 10.5. I don't mind the extra toe space, but I don't want any more heel space since my inserts contribute to heel slippage already.

On another note, has anybody noticed that first quality AE shoes are not all that great? I just purchased some Macneils, and I'm fairly disappointed with the quality of them. The eyelets on the right shoe are extremely misaligned, to the point where they annoy me. Also, the just below the broquing on the eyelet area, the triangle shaped trim (don't know how else to refer to it) that joins to the quarters seems to be fuzzy (on both shoes). I don't think its supposed to be like that since most of the other parts of the shoe are smooth.

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have definitely noticed declining quality, and there have been quite a few posts in this thread about obvious flaws making it out the factory door.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree on the Santoni's, which is why I went with the Park Avenues. To my eye, the Peal is in between the two and still sufficiently conservative. That said, if I had to do it over again, I would buy Park Avenues again. Just a great formal black captoe that is a tremendous value when you can get it for $200 on sale. See below for pictures from another thread comparing the Park Avenues with some JM shoe, Strands and the BB Peale punchcap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you're going to dress them up, I would definitely go for dark laces.

How are these sized compared to your other AE shoes. I noticed that there was mention that these shoes from the Rough Collection might be tighter. I was able to locate a pair at my local outlet and will ask them to ship to me.

8. easy_golfing

To be honest, they seem like they should be seconds to me.

9. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

AE quality assurance is a joke. About every 3rd pair I have to send back for one reason or another. I guess that's what happens when you grow quickly.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Fortunately, their customer service after the fact is no joke. Just wish they would realize the cost savings in getting it right the first time.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I also wear inserts and understand. My normal size in AE is 10D and my Dalton's are 10D with plenty of room. I had to very slightly stretch the left toe area of my shell Leeds in 10D. Calf Leeds were fine in 10D.

Yes I also agree about AE quality control lately. Yesterday I went to an AE store for the first time to look at the 5th St. and Malvern that I ordered in on clearance so I could see them in person before purchasing, which I did. Waiting on a pair of Mcallister in walnut to come in that I ordered a few days ago but that will be it for me for awhile. Wanted to order the shell Dundee but given the lack of QC lately and many variations feel it is too risky now. Ended up giving a pair of AE Yuma boots away because they were so poorly done and purchased a better bison leather moc boot from BB at half the price (on clearance). I will give AE some breathing room and see if they can turn things around. It will also depend on what happens with the shell Bradley's that I had to send back yesterday.

12. ejomby

ejomby Active Member

These actually seem to fit the best so far-- I'd say fairly TTS. But it's my first time with the 7 last. I've done the 5, 3 and 2, with the 5 and 2 not giving me the best fit.

13. easy_golfing

I actually don't mind the defects if I had bought seconds, but the fact that they are firsts makes them harder to accept.

Also, anybody know when I can get Dalton's for $150 again?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

+1 on both of these. I agree it would be better for all involved if they diverted some customer service resources to quality control.

Seriously, the only thing that lets them overcome this is that Alden apparently is no much better and keeps raising their prices, and J&M gave up the market years ago.

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

A few pages back, someone asked me about my "collection." I had a day off today, and thought I would take advantage of the sunshine and take a few pics.

First: entire collection (note I only used the left shoe of each pair...

[​IMG]
    Row 1: (L to R) brown scotch grain AE Macneil, Brown cordovan RL Marlow PTB, Burgundy shell AE Leeds Black shell AE leeds, black calf AE Park Avenue
    Row 2: brown shell AE strand, burgundy shell AE Macneil, burgundy shell AE Bradley, burgundy shell AE Randolph, burgundy shell AE Grayson, black calf AE Grayson
    Row 3: AE Dalton in walnut calf, Alden for J. Crew cap toe boot in #8 shell.

More of the Burgundy shell AE's:
    [​IMG]

More of the Black AEs:
    [​IMG]

More of the Brown shell shoes:
    [​IMG]

More of the Boots:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I love the brown shell shoes in particular - the AE Strand and the RL PTB. Those two really stand out, even in this fantastic collection.

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Glad to hear that. I ordered them about an hour ago and was lucky enough to get the same price as you. I'm wearing the Fifth Street boots I picked up last Friday and I agree that the 5 last isn't t as perfect as I want them either. The 8 last seems to be a really good fit for me. Hopefully the 7 last will work for me also.

18. csc67

csc67 Senior member

Man of Lint - I have always been impressed with your educated comments and warm welcomes you routinely provide to this forum. I'm disappointed that you personally attacked me and resorted to name calling, when you know nothing of my situation or my knowledge of AE products.

To set the record straight, I own several pairs of older AE's and they do not have the large gap which is depicted in my picture of my new Park Avenue's. My older AE's are 8D's and the one pictured is a 7.5E and all shoes are fairly close when I measure them length and width wise.

Before receiving three consecutive pairs a defective AE's, I wouldn't even think about purchasing another brand, but now I must reconsider my position.

Before responding in the future, I hope you take a moment to gather more facts and find a better way to express yourself than above

19. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I was thinking the exact same thing. The C&J/RL Marlow PTB has a gorgeous profile. IMO, it's outstanding compared to Alden's Barrie PTB and the AE Leeds. The color is so damn rich as well.

Same holds true for the dark brown Strand.

20. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yep.. I own that C&J/RL PTB and am now thinking about the Strand. It's gorgeous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.