Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suit Up

Suit Up Member

I also have another question, in a previous post (see spoiler), a member posted the following picture, I was wondering if the colors are accurate (second from the left being bourbon from what I understand). On Allen Edmonds' website, the bourbon would be closer to the shoe to the far right:

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Nordstrom is more likely to have the (similar) LaSalle on sale, rather than Delray. J

3. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

You sure move quickly then if we got hooked at the same time! I'd be right up there with you, but I was actually revamping my whole wardrobe. Including the Allen Edmonds shoes I bought 10 pairs total, including a few pairs of boat shoes, some Johnston & Murphy suede nubucks, and some cheap suede wingtips. Rubber soles serve a huge purpose in Canada. I also replaced all of my pants, dress shirts, t-shirts, shorts, socks, belts, and all the alterations to go along with it. At which point money becomes an issue.

It's crazy though right? I never thought I would be hooked on shoes or look at the shoes of every guy I pass. I also never thought I'd spend so much on a single pair.

Please share your list of 1-7 so I can get some ideas of what direction to head next. I'm thinking of splitting the difference of my walnut Strands and merlot Mcallisters with some walnut Mcallisters. I'm able to hold off on them for this tent sale, but I think when the Nordstrom sale or the next AE sale hits I'm going to be getting the snuff suede Neumoks as well.

4. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Hey Tie, I'm in a similar place, though I got hooked on AE about 4-5 yrs ago now - up to 11 prs now, incl the black PAs I have arriving tomorrow. Depending on how you dress for work, I'd probably suggest something in dark brown next, for variety, or if you think you'll have the need, black. IMO the walnut Strand and walnut McAllister are already quite similar. J

5. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

I have a serious problem with this now. I really hope people aren't noticing how intently I am staring at their shoes in an attempt to discern the leather, stitching and welt.

Do you have anything in burgundy or chili already? If not, I definitely recommend both, the chili more so.

6. woodywoodford

woodywoodford Well-Known Member

Just got my first pair of AE's... dark brown Neumora's. Can't wait to wear em, but with the amount of rain coming down right now it could be a few days. I bought the dark brown AE shoe polish with them, is this stuff any good? And is it worth getting leather conditioner or anything else? So far all I've done is straight polish my shoes (damp rag to clean them first), but these the first shoes I've spent more than $200 on so want to do it right.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  7. MidwestSteve

MidwestSteve Member

Thanks for the great feedback about the Park Avenue's. I'll be ordering some tomorrow. Wish I had learned how to properly shine my shoes years ago, and glad to see the techniques here!

8. spoiledone

spoiledone Active Member

[​IMG]
    My new Neumoks in blue. Very comfy shoes!

9. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Hi Pudman, They are very similar, but they are just so nice looking. Looks wins over function in my brain right now.

The great thing about my work is that I can really hit any part of the AE line up that I want. It is an office, but up until a few weeks ago I was wearing jeans and a polo and that was OK. I wasn't alone, but I was not in the majority either. I am now regularly wearing chinos and a dress shirt with brown, blue, or grey suede bucks/wingtips while the majority wears black dress pants, black square toe shoes, black socks, black belts, and a dress shirt. I actually think my outfits are much nicer even though they are not as formal. I'm also 27 so it suits me, and those in all black are 40-65. Today I had to wear dress pants instead of chinos in order to wear the Mcallisters and I was by far the best dressed in the building.

With that said, I don't think that black shoes will be needed any time soon and I'd rather spend the money on something fun. If at some point I'm looking for a new job, then certainly, but until then I'll use the merlot Mcallisters wherever I can for more formal events.

Seeing as you did not get the PAs until now and they are considered the go to business shoe, do you have any shoes in chili? If so what do you think of it? Also, do you have any in bourbon and what do you think of that colour vs. brown?

It looks like we have a chili recommendation even before I asked about it, that's a good sign! I do have burgundy, my Mcallisters are merlot and a great colour.

10. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

I bought a pair of Park Ave's about two weeks ago. I've worn them two or three times a week since; I've been giving them two days between wears to dry out or whatever.

How am I supposed to clean them? I bought a horsehair brush and premium polish from AE. What I intend to do, tomorrow, is:

1) Lightly brush the the shoes with the horsehair brush
    2) Apply the premium polish in a light coat around the entire shoe
    3) Wait ten minutes for it to dry
    4) Heartily brush the shoes with the horsehair brush

Is this bueno? Anything else I should do? Condition the soles or something?

11. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

Really nice looking. Do they fit the same as other shoes on that last, if you have any?

12. spoiledone

spoiledone Active Member

I'm not even sure which last these are on? :p
    I have a pair of Norwich monk straps that are the same size and fit about the same. The Neumok is a little bit longer in the toe area

13. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Congrats! Welcome to the club. And, nice socks.

Unfortunately, I cannot say, since I got them on the bay. However, they are old enough that many of the areas around the eyelets are cracked, unfortunately. I am happy to take some credit for them, because a fair amount of elbow grease and trial and error has certainly improved the look.

Thanks. My Zegna Su Misura three piece grey plaid suit. Maybe the best damn sale pick up ever. $1000 for a $4000 suit. [​IMG]
    Burgundy. I think you were talking to me. ; )
    Thanks for all the positive comments, fellas.

14. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Steve,
    I'm just guessing, but are your expectations based upon what used to be the standard in many men's dress shoes, including AE, which is polished cobbler's leather, or corrected grain? I inherited my first several pairs of AE from my step grandfather about 13 years ago and I wore them out before I knew what I had. I had a black and burgundy pair of polished cobbler's leather park avenues. Two years ago, when I started paying attention to these things and started amassing my current collection of AE shoes, my first pair was black park avenues to replace my old pair. That is when I learned about full grain calfskin used in all of AE's shoes today versus the polished cobbler's leather that AE used in many different styles over the years.

I'll grant you that when I see a pair of black park avenues on the shelf of a store today, it looks unappealing, because it comes from the factory without much polish. But that can be remedied either by elbow grease and polish or by finding a local cobbler, shoe shiner in your area. I have a great one in my area, but in the past year amassed my own collection of AE and Saphir products to do it myself. I find it relaxing and fun.

If you were thinking of polished cobbler's leather, then in my opinion, you are much better off with today's full grain models. They are much more durable and better looking IMHO (with a little shine or a "full bull job" - trademark -).

That would certainly be sufficient, and is mostly what I do in my still novice polishing endeavors. You might want to add a fifth step of using a flannel cloth or nylon panty hose (or the amazon microfiber cloths that I bought thanks to ColdIron on this forum, I believe). You buff the toe and vamp and heel area with a rapid back and forth motion and it adds a bit of pop to the shine after the final brushing with the horsehair. Good luck and post some pics after.

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

[​IMG]

Today felt like a good day for AE Walnut Shell Strands and argyle OTCs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.