1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

This is a video on YouTube from the Ecco factory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6JUi0AD_V0

All the poor shoes going down the conveyor belts on the floppy last arms reminds me of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" video. They are nothing more than leather uppers of questionable quality stitched to a foam binder "insole" which is then molded to a solid rubber sole before having another foam insole inserted. Robotic arms reaching out periodically to trim off something. I know they make many models, and these may not be representative of all their shoes, but I think it is a good cross-section.

All in all it's just another brick in the wall...

2. MoneyWellSpent

Good looking boots!

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

I haven't posted them here, but I do have one pair - of Aldens in #8. I like them, but other shoe designs have just percolated to the top first. Stylistically, the walnut color of Calikid's Dundees works perfectly with the chukka design in my opinion...

I'm also tempted by the saddle shoes, or walnut macneils... or cappuccino McAllisters... or...

4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

I have all three - I vote that you also need them.

5. shartmann

shartmann Senior Member

An interesting part of this is that it's not even about price. Currently at Nordstroms, if you wanted to pick up a pair of dress shoes, you could choose:

• Ecco Windsor for $229.95
    • AE Clifton for $199.90
    • AE Players for $223.90.

"Equivalent" black dress shoes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lostron

lostron Senior Member

does anyone wear cordovan shoes during the summer?

7. polojock615

polojock615 Senior Member

I wear pretty much whatever I want during the summer. I wore Daltons last Friday and Long Branches the week before. I work inside an air conditioned building, so it's never been an issue.

8. MoneyWellSpent

An astute observation indeed. [​IMG] I think the question is becoming, can people afford to not wear Allen Edmonds? [​IMG]

9. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

Quote:I do, just not boots. I recall Manton mentioning in a shoe thread a while back that shell was for fall and winter only, but I'm not sure I agree with that. Maybe I can see his point with a big, clunky shell long-wing, but something like the Patriot in shell does not strike me at all as a cooler-weather-only type of shoe.

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

That ecco is pretty ugly. Hit up shoe bank way before that, I swear some time of their shoes are firsts.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

Y'up, I had my shell patriots on last weekend and still have a pair of Carmina shell short wings in my regular rotation. I've put away a pair of burgundy longwings, but that has more to do with the style and fact that I do not wear charcoal pants much in the Summer.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

I believe a purchase of the bottom two shoes would be money well spent. [​IMG]

13. MoneyWellSpent

[​IMG]

14. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

Hmmm... [​IMG]

15. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

I generally put my lined shell boots away for the summer, but if there is a rainy day in the 70's I'll pull out my Alden chukkas or cap-toe boots, both in #8. Instead of my boots, in warmer weather I wear my shell cordovan loafers (I have 3 pair of tassel loafers and 3 pair of penny loafers now). The wearing of my other shell shoes - wingtips, Plain-toe-bluchers, etc. does not vary by season. It's worth noting that I do wear my unlined Shell Daltons any season.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.