1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I have black and burgundy - both are great. The tab doesn't interfere with the look or for at all. Get a polished cobbler for use with suits, but the cordovan belts are great

Yes, I got both of mine from an outlet. The cordovan were first quality, though I have bought second quality belts from them before.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

My first wear of the walnut Ralph Lauren Saunders I got from the recent 2/250 seconds sale.

[​IMG]

3. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I'm not sure what the tab is referring to. Is the way the end of the belt looks? Do you have the polished cobbler? Isn't it corrected grain?

4. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

great posts guys! Yeah, I've recently started to buy quality instead of quantity (though I didn't buy quantity before either). I don't have a real need for dress shoes just yet so saving up money to buy a pair or two a year is just fine with me. I've always been a quality over quantity type of guy when it comes to shoes, but I wasn't interested in dress shoes until this past year. I've always loved shoes, since I started playing basketball at age 8 (basketball shoes were my previous obsession for most of my life).

Honestly I have no problem paying full price for AE shoes. I save up my $50-$100 a month until I have enough, then I buy the shoes I want after much thought and consideration. I don't feel guilty about spending this money because it's cash that I've saved up (apart from what I put in savings) and set aside as my spending money. I used to spend that money on video games, blue ray discs and the like. Spending it on shoes is much more worthwhile.

The reason I would never spend $200 or anything close to that on a wallet is not because of my lack of money, it's because I just don't value wallets. I don't ride bikes (I never learned) so I would be foolish to spend top dollar on a nice bike that I would never touch. The same goes for the wallet, if at some point I develop a need for a wallet, and I have the money, I may very well spend the money and buy a nice wallet, but right now it's not a justifiable purchase for me.

5. chinngiskhaan

what is your guys' opinion on the swim overshoes? Are they worth the money? Where do you put them after you take them off of your shoes?

6. rc121

rc121 Senior member

my experienxe with wallets has led me to purchase a quality one that will last me for a very long time (saddleback and their 100 year warranty helps). I got tired of buying cheaper leather wallets every 2 years or so that were $40 - $50 each. While I probably wouldn't spend $200 for a cordovan wallet, but it would seem justifiable since it will last much longer than the 4 wallets, 8 years and $200 I spent replacing them.

7. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I'm jealous.

I just bought a pair during BB's 25% off sale. Even at $75, I would not have purchased them without having researched them on this forum and elsewhere. You can find ample testimonials, nearly all of them glowing. You're paying extra for the lining, which doesn't rub the shine off of your shoes. A few people have complained that this lining deteriorates, but as long as you don't wear them suede or nubuck you should be fine. (This is the consensus view I gathered from my research; I haven't worn mine enough to add my opinion on this count). Swims come with a bag for storage and (if need be) toting about after removal.

8. chinngiskhaan

thanks for the info! The fact that they come with a bag is a real selling point for me since overshoes tend to get very dirty.

While living in Mongolia I had a pair of overshoes with ice spikes on the bottom for walking around outside (the ground is covered in several inches of ice for at least 6 months of the year). I would just throw them in an empty pocket in my backpack upon entering a building. My bag got very dirty, very fast.

Do swims ever get stretched out to the point that they fall off of your feet while walking? With the above mentioned overshoes I had, this became a problem after a few months of daily wear (taking them off and putting them back on 2-3 times a day minimum).

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Love mine, but I also paid $65 at Brooks Brothers and $30 at AE for them. I keep one pair at the office and one pair at home. Every January/February, AE puts all the non-black colors on sale for $30 or so, so I would carry your shoes this winter and pick up a pair then.

After using, I leave them out to dry before putting them back in their bag.

10. SBear

SBear Senior member

Considering the burgundy shell Bradley. I've way overspent my shoe budget but that hasn't seemed to stop me. For those with this shoe (or other split toe blucher), what are your experiences for style, use, etc.? When, where, with what, do you wear them...how often... If you don't like this style, reasons are also welcomed. Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated.

11. SBear

SBear Senior member

Very nice. I got the same and really like them. I decided to use merlot polish on them to shift the color just slightly. Not sure if it really worked the first time but we'll see how they look with time. I'll post pics if they do noticeably change. Why were yours seconds?

12. SBear

SBear Senior member

PSA: Hinsdale, Marietta, and Athens were just added to the clearance section of the AE site (now $227-247 plus 15% off for the RDA sale)

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

And weybridge. Too bad it's black only.

14. DHD28

DHD28 Senior member

I really hate asking fitting questions, but I am desperate.

The only 5 pairs of AEs I have are on the 5 last. 7.5 E to be exact.

Some fit advice for a pair of Calf Dundees? (1 last)

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

In my personal experience I stay the same size just down in width. Right now I am an 8D on both the 1 and the 5. I could be an 8E on the 5 tho. Wish I did buy an E now that I think of it. Oh well.

16. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I'm 7.5EE on the 5 last and wear 8E on the 1 last. But, some people say they are the same on several different lasts. So, I would say you're either the same (7.5E) or 8D in the Dundee. The only way I really figured it out was to try on several pair.

17. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

The left shoe is slightly imbalanced (I didn't notice until I put my shoes on the shelf) and some black marks on the leather that are pretty much unnoticeable after some buffing with leather cleaner. There's some wrinkling as well but that was bound to happen. I like them a lot and for $125, a steal.

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I am an 8D in the 1,5 and 7 last. The only reason I would go 8E on the 5 in the future is because of my high instep. The length and width of the shoe is perfect on all those lasts.

19. JayRocks

JayRocks New Member

Thanks for the responses. I was offered the AE cordovan belt at the outlets, I should've just tried it on. I probably would'nt even notice the tabs when wearing, so I might just bite the bullet and pony up for it now while it's on sale. sheesh, since the shell sale, and the 2/250 (i was able to get a 3rd pair for 125) AE is killing my wallet.

btw, so jealous that a lot of you guys were able to get other shell colors for $299, i was able to get macneil's and leeds in burgundy.

Wearing my BB Macneil chili grain's for the first time today
    [​IMG]

20. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I hear you. If I didn't have nearly $500 worth of MTO goods on order right now I'd be jumping all over a new burgundy shell belt for $165. Hopefully I won't kick myself too hard years down the road for skipping it.

Those MacNeils look great!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.