Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

My first though was to recommend the Macneil...until I read your comment about the Macneil vs. Players. What is it about the Macneil you don't like? If it's a sleeker shoe you desire, perhaps the brogued makeups in the Independence line may work, like the LWB Williams or semi-brogue Hancock. I really wanted the Players but couldn't get a size to work right. I have to agree with you that it is a terrific looking shoe.

As has been mentioned, you could start the natural progression into full on madness i.e., Shell Cordovan. If you go the shell route, I'd strongly consider the burgundy shell Leeds (and maybe reconsider the Macneil in burgundy shell). I dress similarly for work (just with a SC rather than a lab coat) and I love the versatility of the Macneil/Leeds. They work just as well with wool trousers during the day as they do with casual khakis and denim.

Lastly, I don't see any suede on your list. Suede brogues may be something unique. If you are willing to go with Alden, something in a color like Alden's snuff is a solid three season shoe. I do like Alden's and AE's tan as well but they are only slightly less versatile given that the light color works best in spring and summer. I find snuff looks great in the real warm months but also quite nice in the fall. Note, AE may also have a snuff-like color suede but I'm just not sure, hence the Alden recommendation.

Hope that gives you some food for thought. Here's a recent image (last week) of my *burgundy shell Leeds and Macneil for reference.

[​IMG]

*Note that the pictured burgundy is AE's old shade. As much as I like it, the new burgundy shade is downright stunning IMO. Both are nice but I wanted to include the disclaimer that if you don't like the above shade, the new ones are much darker and a bit closer to Alden's color 8.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

2. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

A quick shoe stretching update... My issue is my left foot is about 1/2 size larger than right. I was fitted and re-fitted at my local AE store and the SA has been very helpful and believes I'm in the right size (McAllister 7.5 E). After about over a dozen wearings the left was still causing me some discomfort especially towards the end of the day. The SA recommended stretching the left shoe. At first it seemed like the right move however after being on my feet all day at a conference this week it's clear that the shoe is now too big and my foot slides around causing great discomfort. I will not be doing this with my other new pair of McAllister. My Sheltons (1 last, 8 E) fit much more comfortably.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Tongue pad? The SA has been nothing but helpful and I don't want to have to exchange the shoes but I'm wondering if there's anything AE would be willing to do or if there's anything I can do.

Thoughts from the group?

3. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can suggest is to email Allen Edmonds customer support and ask them the same question you are asking here.

You will definitely get a more precise and committed answer from them.

The opinion of this forum, although interesting, is irrelevant.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Max

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Sometimes a particular last just won't work for you. Have you considered going mto ceo paul has waived the fee in the past for sf members.

5. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Aside from style . . . may I assume you are on your feet most of the time as an intern? If so, I have personally met physicians who own 90 pair of Alden and Allen Edmond shoes . . . along with Oxford style Ecco Shoes which are extremely comfortable, yet have a very nice stitched edge/welt look to them.

6. David Copeland

Long time married guy here . . . and my wife and I both share the same principle, "Let not one appetite accuse another".

Isn't marriage grand!

7. David Copeland

I just had this conversation with two managers are two different Nordstroms Department Stores, on behalf of another colleague. Unlike AE Stores, if you wear your shoes and develop problems based on an improper sizing by a Nordstrom SA . . . then they will refund or exchange within a year of use. Obviously, the catch-all here is to have a seasoned SA or Manager at a Nordstroms Department Store (not an outlet) professionally size you, paying particular attention to your arch and the two foot sizes.

Another note: Everyone has different sized feet, some more than others. 60% have a difference of 1/2 inch.

Here is a quote:

"I am a shoe expert! sell em daily for a living. it is very very common believe it or not! well.. you never want to buy somethin that is going to hurt your bigger foot of course, and you have GOT to stop buying two pairs! waste of money. i suggest buying . . . whatever size to fit your bigger foot. and then try one of these two things: a force field or a spenco walker runner insole! -footlocker and Champs sports has both of these.- both take about 1/2 size or full size out your smaller shoe. the insole also has a year guarantee."

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Well, technically I'm not an intern anymore (that term applies to residents only during their first year of residency). But yes I'm on my feet all day, although I have custom soft orthotics I put in all my AEs (I just go up a half size and a width and they fit like a glove), so they're plenty comfy.

As for the people suggesting shell, I'm not at the point yet where I can justify the purchase of shell yet unfortunately, so I'm sticking with calf!

9. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Patrick do you have any shoes in the new shade of burgundy? I'd like to see what they look like after you do your magic act on them.

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

My wife works for Ann Taylor, I support this idea.

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Does anybody have pictures of the cordovan Park Avenues with some mileage on them?

12. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Couple shots from last week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. David Copeland

The Manager at Nordstrom's Department Store I spoke to the other day personally has 90 pair of high quality brands of shoes for himself. The brand he wears most often when he is on his feet each day are ECCO dress shoes. He recommends them for very, very good comfort - when not wearing Allen Edmonds shoes>

[​IMG]
    LINK TO ONE SALE THIS WEEK: CLICK HERE

14. docka

docka Senior member

I just received a pair of strands from the tent sale. They are definitely beautiful shoes, but like all 2nd qualities, there some blemishes. The stitching appears to be off with my shoe. Will this impact the quality of the shoe as I wear it more often? I don't want the sewn-in stitching to be coming out one by one from the holes. By the way, the error on the stitching is on the inside, so it doesn't really affect the shoe's aesthetics as much as one may think. It's really very subtle unless you stare at it. I'm more concern with the on-going construction of the shoe, as I don't want the beautiful pattern to fall apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013

15. tats

tats Active Member

My new Walnut 5th Aves just showed up - and I'll be honest, I can't see the defect....

Here's the growing family

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.