1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Did you buy seconds? If so, what did you expect?

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

A lot of older dogs like me think that the double leather sole of the sandersons contributes to comfort, esp. if you're standing a lot during the day. Not sure how the patriots are comfortwise, though. I'd imagine that loafers tend to be comfortable too since they tend to be a little looser.

3. trueimage

trueimage New Member

Is heel slipping while walking expected? The salesman told me that it was partially due to the sole resisting flexing with the foot but will break in

My heel only comes up a bit and not even close to coming out of the shoe.

4. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

Help! I think I ruined my cordovan shoes! I purchased my first pair of cordovans from the shoebank. Then my cream at a retail store. The salesman told me to watch the video found on their site and told me to apply a light coat with a dauber.

I watched the video and applied even less than what the guy in the AE demo video was showing. They even tell you to apply it "thoroughly". I had read on these forums to apply conservatively so I thought that applying less than what the AE demo guy was showing would be adequate.

I wiped off most of it, brushed it with a horsehair brush, then buffed the shoe with a soft cotton cloth. But it left my shoe with a slightly dull shine in some places and a glossy shine in others. Is this a cause for concern? Will it go away if I don't polish it with cream for another couple months but instead just wipe the dull areas with a clean cotton cloth and horsehair brush from time to time? Would that take off from the thick layer of cream I just applied?

5. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

They aren't permanently ruined. Brushing and buffing will eventually remove it (look up the Mac method if you aren't familiar). If you want to speed this up, use Saphir Renovateur (aka Reno) on it.

6. jimney

jimney Senior member

It will get better, that's nothing to worry about. Brush and buff.

7. meowmix1891

meowmix1891 Senior member

Phew. Thats good to hear! Thanks guys. I can go to sleep now ha!

8. green garden

green garden Senior member

I don't think you can completely get the Alden look. My understanding is that AE only carries black Dainite. Your midsole will can be stained transparent chili to achieve the antique look you are looking for. But your sole and heel will be black. IMHO, I think it will look fine. But I also don't think there is anything wrong with having a double leather sole and then Topy installed.

9. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

Some heel slippage will be reduced once the sole breaks in. The only way you can judge whether yours will is to assure that the shoe fits properly (most importantly, that the ball of the foot is at the widest part of the shoe; also important for slippage is that the heel isn't way to wide).

Your salesman could be right. On the other hand, I had a salesman at one AE store tell me the same thing. The heel slippage never stopped, and once I learned to discern whether shoes fit for myself, it's obvious that the shoe is way too long. I thus have a nice pair of Strands that I can't wear. So be careful, and make sure the shoe fits before it becomes unreturnable.

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

IF I bought seconds, I would have expected it...not the case.

11. trueimage

trueimage New Member

These are Strands, and I'm already at EEE width. If I go down 1/2 size, the shoe is too tight through the arch. But I do feel that if I push my foot slightly forward, it "fits" better. Is that something a thin insole would fix?

12. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Tongue pad would serve better. If EE is too tight and EEE is not locking your instep in place/heel cup too wide, then 5 last probably isn't a good one for you. It's already known to be a low instep last.

13. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

If the shoe feels better with his foot pushed slightly forward, the problem is likely that it is too long in the sense that the ball of his foot is behind the widest part of the shoe. If that's the case, a tongue pad will only ensure that the ball of his foot never actually gets where it's supposed to be, which makes taking a step feel really awkward at best. It depends, though, and I suppose trying one couldn't hurt.

I find that once I get a shoe that fits my heel to ball measurement perfectly, there's about half a size of play where I can use length to account for other factors without making the shoe unwearable. Past that, it's best to try another last.

14. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

The Independence lining is the lining used in the Independence collection. I own the Rutledge, Jefferson and Williams from that collection. I can tell you that it is a very soft lining, Allison tells me that it is the softest lining AE makes. It also has a padded heal seat. It is very soft and very comfortable. I have 25 pairs of AEs, and I can tell you it does make a difference. I am looking forward to a shell shoe with an independence lining.

I also have the Shell Jefferson webgem on order, I am thinking it will be another shell with this soft lining. I have a feeling these two may become my two favorite pairs quickly.

15. GOP Shoe Guy

I just stumbled across a couple unreleased shoes from the Independence line. What do you all think? I added a little info on the namesake of each shoe to understand who they were.

The Braxton - Carter Braxton was a signer of the Declaration that loaned a great deal of $ to support the revolution, and also lost a bunch of $ in privateering. He lost all his wealth, and never recovered.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...0888890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43c06897ba

The Gwinnet - Button Gwinnet was the 2nd signer of the Declaration of Independence after John Hancock. Gwinnet signed on the far left, while Hancock signed right smack dab in the middle and large.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-U...2834480?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item43bfedb130

There also appears to be the Rush, named for Benjamin Rush. Ben Franklin and John Adams were critical of the attractive, handsome, well-spoken gentleman Rush. The felt he gossiped to much and his extreme confidence came across as arrogance.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  16. drbhrb

drbhrb Well-Known Member

Those are both great. A shame they were not released

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

How much did your Independece shell Franciscan run you? Perhaps I should call and upgrade my MTO...

18. GOP Shoe Guy

Allison told me they could honor the RDA sale prices on MTO, and as usuals here know, SF members get to waive the MTO fee per Paul Grangaard. So, I got the Franciscan in shell for $505.75. You could get it as a make up in the Independence leather for $403.75. Email Allison, she will take good care of you. I am thrilled to get a shell, with all the Independence stylings...

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

She didn't charge you for the Indy upgrades??? That IS a good deal!

Thanks.

20. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

Current AE Rotation:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status: